Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regulator needed - Honda VFR800 2001

• 01-02-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need your help on where to get a new regulator for my vfr800.

Looks like it is totally fooked as it is charging 17 volts at the battery when running idle which is way over the norm. I have a few more tests to do but I need to know where is best place to get a new one ASAP.

Also I have heard that blackbird regulator maybe better as it is bigger and will last longer, is this true?

Cheers,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Honda regulators are ****e. Better off going for a pattern one. R1 regs are supposed to fit well and there are instructions astound on t'web for fitting them. Bigger fins, runs cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

More modern Mosfet reg/rect unit for your bike here: http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR53.html

Don't run the bike with a f/u unit in the meantime though, you'll just end up damaging more components.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Mosfet like wot he said ^^ fit one and forget it, solder it in place as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Would a 97 Honda Cbr1000f fit?
    I have one on adverts for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

blade1 wrote: »
    Would a 97 Honda Cbr1000f fit?
    I have one on adverts for sale.

97 Won't be MOSFET, it'll be a shunt type.
    Honda were very late to the game to fit Mosfet ones and they still use stupid plugs that aren't sealed on a uniquely Honda Reg Rec.
    The type of reg/rec you want will have FH prefix and then 010, 011,012 020.
    The SH prefix ones are crap, I know I have several.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vfr_800_fi-1/01/picture/regulator_rectifier/

or

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vfr_800_fi-1/01/picture/regulator_rectifier_-_alternative/

It's in a crap location, there's no proper airflow over it so it cooks itself eventually over time.

Whichever or wherever you source one it's a good idea to fit a computer case cooling fan over it. Wire it to the lights so it is always on when bike going.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I have had VFR regulators go on me in the past and here is another tip in order to prevent it from occurring again - upgrade the wiring to the R/R.

I fitted a seperate, heavier gauge loom called a VFRness (google it, they're not expensive to buy either) which reduces resistance and temperature within the wiring and does away with redundant joints which are only waiting to corrode and take down the whole system. I also fitted a tiny LED voltmeter to the dash so I can see that all is good [or not!].

Fit a fan on the R/R by all means as well. Try and see if you can solder the connectors which join the three yellow wires from the stator into the main loom. They can be a point of failure as well [they typically run through the middle of the V of the engine].

Mine is 750 RC36 model but all of that info should still be relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

How old is your battery?

Advertisement