Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with cheque lodging-Walkinstown branch

Options
  • 01-02-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with lodging a cheque.

I had a savings account with anpost which reached maturity. Anpost sent me a cheque for the sum of my savings. The savings account with anpost was with my name and my mother's name so anpost sent me the cheque with both names on.

The first cheque said account payee only and when I tried to lodge it in BOI I was told that it couldn't be done as both names were on the cheque, while my account with boi has my name only.

I had two options according to the person who I spoke with on the phone from the Walkinstown branch.

1: open an account with both my and my mother's name or

2: remove the account payee only part from the cheque.

Considering that I don't want to open an account with both names with the sole purpose of lodging a cheque, I sent the cheque back to anpost asking to remove the account payee only part.

They did so and sent me a new cheque which again had both names but did not have written account payee only which I tried to lodge on my BOI account.

I just received today my cheque again in post saying that It can't be lodged.

Can you clarify this situation as it is causing me quite some hassle.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon j4vier, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

When lodging a cheque like this to an account in your name, you would need to ensure that the other person named has endorsed the cheque. They can do this by signing their name on the reverse of the cheque. Once it is endorsed, it should be accepted by your branch. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to get in touch again. 

Elaine 

Advertisement