Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting beech trees

Options
  • 01-02-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm getting a number of 8ft Beech and mountain ash trees delivered this week. Plan to plant them around the garden. Garden would have plenty of sunlight and pretty good drainage. How deep/big will the holes have to be to plant them and will they need stakes to support them for a while?

Also I am getting some farmyard manure for planting some beech hedging. Will I need to use any of this for the trees?

Sorry for the questions but couldn't find an answer while searching.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

My first thought would be that you could ask the supplier, but if you dig holes a couple of feet deep to start with, you can't go too far wrong. When the trees arrive, stand them vertically and observe what height the soil-line on the trunk is from the ground, and adjust the depth of each hole to match each individual tree. Be very careful to plant each tree so that the original soil-line corresponds to the ground level in their new location. If a tree is planted too deeply it will rot and die, if planted too shallowly, it will not thrive due to an inadequate supply of water and nutrients. Definitely stake them, perhaps with double or treble stakes if in a windy area, until they are well established. Water well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Also I am getting some farmyard manure for planting some beech hedging. Will I need to use any of this for the trees?..

Be careful using dung on bare root plants it can burn them if it comes in direct contact with the roots . Particularly if not well rotted.
    I planted a beech hedge and moved some beech trees here (12-14' tall) and used well rotted dung as a layer under the plants with soil on top protecting the roots. A certain amount went in around the trees too but again not directly on the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Hi all,

I'm getting a number of 8ft Beech and mountain ash trees delivered this week. Plan to plant them around the garden. Garden would have plenty of sunlight and pretty good drainage. How deep/big will the holes have to be to plant them and will they need stakes to support them for a while?

Also I am getting some farmyard manure for planting some beech hedging. Will I need to use any of this for the trees?

Sorry for the questions but couldn't find an answer while searching.

Thanks...

http://tree-planting.com/tree-planting-4.htm

Covers most of the options and stages...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I planted a beech hedge a few years back, I'm sure I did loads wrong but one thing that worked out well as planting a bunch of spares together. About 8 or 9 trees died so had trees of similar size ready to replace them

Advertisement