Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions and trade unions query

• 01-02-2017 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭

My sister's pension fund has new trustees, and as part of the takeover the new trustees have asked that all members advise them if they are a member of an authorised trade union. Apparently this is a "standard question" (I'm not a union member myself so I don't know if it is or not), and tbh I can't see any reason not to tell them. But equally I can't think of any reason why they need to know. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sounds like they intend reducing the benefits and want to see if they'll have to negotiate with a union (I have no idea, but that's would I would be thinking).

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's a possibility all right. It certainly doesn't seem to be the sort of thing that should make any difference to the trustees ordinarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the union would be interested to know that this is happening esp. if changes are on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Most likely the reason is that the trustees are legally required to send a copy of the annual trustee report to each union representing members. So they need to know who the relevant unions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Most likely the reason is that the trustees are legally required to send a copy of the annual trustee report to each union representing members. So they need to know who the relevant unions are.

Hmmm, the question to all members was 'if' they are union members and not 'which union' they are members of (to send a copy).
    If I were a newly-appointed trustee and thinking about changing the T&C's, the first thing I'd want to know is the % of union affiliations. If it's low enough I'd go ahead. If say 80% were backed by the same union then I'd think twice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement