Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Second track is reminiscent of Johann Johannsson's work on Sicario, and some of Mick Gordon's more ambient pieces from Doom. Sounds like it could be a cracking score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Soundtrack from the 1984 DUNE will never be bettered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4onBqilHvc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like what the Star Wars films could have been

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Underwhelming official poster:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is there a certain amount of hubris in a tagline like 'it begins' for this? Ditto already planning for a sequel and TV series. I'd love to see this being a hit, as it's always great to see auteur-driven big budget blockbusters succeed. But it's a cult / niche series (already adapted as an infamous flop), a director whose last serious-minded sci-fi movie wasn't a major hit, and a pandemic-era release that'll see this streaming immediately at the same time as a cinema release.

Hopefully the film itself will be good regardless (I'm not the biggest Villeneuve fan, but he certainly makes eye-catching films). But it just seems there's a certain level of swagger and confidence about the whole 'IP' (shudder) that seems rather... over-optimistic. I'm hoping I'm wrong on that.

The problem is the planned sequel is the second half of the film. The marketing isn’t brave enough to acknowledge this. The hubris was in the decision to split the film in first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hans Zimmer has Composed a Second Original Score for ‘Dune’

Slated to release Oct. 22, the soundtrack will accompany Insight Editions' 'The Art and Soul of Dune,' a making-of book written by 'Dune' executive producer Tanya Lapointe.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/hans-zimmer-second-dune-score-film-companion-book-1234997876/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's it right there. There will be a lot of people who will only find this out watching the movie and they will feel cheated.

I remember watching The Crimes of Grindelwald in the cinema and it dawned on me there wasn't going to be a legendary wizard duel because they'd squeezed the story.

The Hobbit is the most cynical of this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Hobbit was especially shocking seeing as it came on the back of movies absolutely praised for their excellent adaptations. Then for the Hobbit we get a dragged out mess full of sexy dwarves and 😠 Legolas.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Dune. It will probably upset book people but I don't mind if they tone down the high concept a little bit for the movie and there is no way it will be as awful as Lynch's Dune

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sexy dwarves 😅

Rewatched the original Dune recently and I'll admit I like how mad it is.

I hope there's a bit of character in the new one and it's not too much up its own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

So they have split the book into two films due to the sheer size\scale of the book, which is fair enough but the second film isn't a sure thing? Going down the road of splitting the book into multiple films needs to come along with a commitment by the studio to greenlight the next film (ala LOTR trilogy)....

Would be an awful shame if the first film doesn't live up to the studio's financial expectations and then we are left with a half told version of one of the most acclaimed sci-fi stories

I'm really hoping the cast can swing it in terms of box office (or whatever) figures. Even if the people who see it don't really get it it won't matter if the interest is there and they don't all walk out completely slating it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,848 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah there's parts of the Lynch Dune that are awesome. And parts that are awful.

You don't know from one scene to the next what you will get...

Overall it's a mess but certain scenes stick with me in a good way. And I thought the casting was very good.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

1984 Dune is a masterpiece, you take that back! :D

Sting, Toto, Kyle Maclachlan, Patrick Stewart, H.R Giger set design - all directed by David Lynch. It's such a bizarre mish mash of people and things from the 80s I've always loved it as a result.

I also still reckon the stillsuit designs in Lynch's film look better than this new Villeneuve one.

Given some of the names attached I thought the level of acting was really poor. Everyone sounds like they are just reading lines deadpan off a teleprompter

I agree about the still suits and some of the characters like the navigators looked good too. But then on the other side you had things like that really cheap looking FTL travel sequence, panto Harkonnens and the weirding guns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Splitting The Hobbit in three doomed the films on a creative / quality level, but it’s hard to deny the cynical financial sense in such a move - they were dealing with proven hit material. The trilogy was catastrophically over-stretched in terms of watching the bloody things, but a near $3 billion box office total means they were a ‘hit’ by the studio’s metrics. And the films all being part of one production ensured all the films would at least see the light of day (although if I recall the decision to make a third film was made mid-production?).

Dune comes into the world with nowhere near the same audience recognition and no guaranteed sequel. A very different proposition alas, even if I’ve little doubt this’ll be a more interesting film than Peter Jackson’s endlessly disappointing prequel trilogy.

I don't get it. In a civ where they have space ships etc they still fight with knifes? And sunglasses are not invented?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"The slow knife penetrates the shield". In this universe the nobility wear personal shield tech that prevents attack by fast moving projectiles ... swords and knives, pushed slowly through, work fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'panto Harkonnens' haha! 😁 never quite heard them described like that, definitely very fitting.

The FTL sequence is really weird, parts of it do look very cheap... parts of it are great though. I love that big ornate weird gold door they all fly into on the side of the ship. So odd but it really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Don't forget the bin bag Sardaukar and respect Sting by referring to him properly, that is Sting in his underpants 😆

Meh, just shoot them with a laser, what's the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

That would set off a small nuclear explosion IIRC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, that was what my memories of the book wanted to say; using energy weapons (and that possibly includes kinetic energy like bullets) against a personal shield would just bounce the absorbed energy back at the attacker.

T'was a (inside) joke lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Denis Villeneuve says he thinks ‘DUNE PART 2’ is likely to happen “as Warner Bros & Legendary are 100% behind the project. They feel it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a Dune: Part 2 because they love the movie.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dune-2-is-not-a-sure-thing-but-director-denis-villeneuve-is-optimistic/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=total-film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

The timing off this and the fukcing taliban wave is gas

Given the book is more than 50 years old and its themes of interventionism in the Middle East still remains relevant and topical is also depressing. I look forward to all the Think Pieces on the internet when they realise this still story of space worms was also (always) about exploiting native peoples for resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Nothing in that article suggests anything other than what we already suspect. If this is another Bladerunner 2049 at the box office, we’re not getting part 2.

That said, I didn’t think the marketing for 2049 was particularly well done for the wider potential audience. With this, they have a cast of charismatic performers with wide-ranging appeal so they should s add t least be able to generate initial interest.

Is it coming out against any strong opposition from Marvel or elsewhere?

Advertisement