Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Does anybody know, is the double bill showing both films only gonna be for this Thursday night??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I didn't go see Dune in theatre because it very much seemed like half a movie, ( that didn't bother me with MI:6), i just watched Dune 1984 and read a bit of what Dune Messiah and Children of Dune is about, and Im now wondering whether Dune part 2 is just the second third of a trilogy..., don't really want to go see a movie, where the real story and meaning of a movie is not arrived at again...

I'll have to rewatch Dune part 1 was all setup without touching the point of the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,344 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

remember watching back to the future 2 in the cinema, enjoying it, and looking forward to part 3 when I realized there was going to be a third film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Trying to decide between iSense and IMAX for Dune 2 at Odeon Blanchardstown.

I'm assuming IMAX would be the larger screen and better overall experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

BTTF was a stand alone story within an overall story though?

Dune is the one story split down the middle. Not that I am not going but it can be a bit flat when nothing is resolved.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That seems like being reluctant to savour a glass of fine whiskey because there will still be plenty left in the bottle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Took Friday off so I could get to the first showing, Screen 1 at the local Vue; the first film had its flaws and by all accounts the reviews coming through my letterboxd speak of a spectacle and epic to match the first part. Absolutely buzzing to see this, and assuming it's not a total dud and desperate for it to be a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Just booked the 70mm IMAX. Only able to get the third row. Hoping it's not too close, but I left it too long to book. Read that Chris Nolan likes the third row best, so I crossing my fingers.

A new film that's not even out at the time of writing has broken a record on IMDb.

Dune: Part Two has a rating of 9.4, putting it at the top of the list for the best movies of all time as rated by regular users of the site.

The Shawshank Redemption was previously top, with a rating of 9.3, with The Godfather just behind on 9.2 and five other films with a rating of 9.0.

Well that's encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Lets comment back here next week. I'm in row J sunday.

Going to see this double bill tonight before and after midnight, hope I will be able to stay awake as have to do a full day in the office today processing spice for the slave masters.

I’ve to wait until the 23rd for Imax.

But will catch it in regular cinema somewhere first, but haven’t booked it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Love to see it; funny it's Screen 1 and the biggest screen. This is a regional Vue n' all, one that's rarely booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

true, can easily watch any of the back to the future films at any stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

What is the closest to a true IMAX experience in Ireland?

Imax digital in Cineworld Parnell st. I'd presume.

Anyone know if the special edition popcorn buckets will be available in Ireland 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

even the director says the first book was misunderstood as to what the author wanted took from it so he wrote Messiah... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx_-l6xq2KI

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Advertisement

What a film. It’s a bit slow in 1st hour but rest of it grips you in till the very end. Totally epic sci-fi like nothing before, it’s not even very much like Dune P1!! Brilliant performances from all, especially Chalemet and Butler.

Context for those not in the know, these are custom, novelty popcorn buckets the AMC chain in America produces for big movies. Like for Wonka it was the bucket made to look like Wonka's hat. The Dune one was ... something.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Watched the re-release of Dune Part 1 last night. Thought we would get a sneak peak of Dune 2 but nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's very much r/dontputyourdickinthat.😮🤣

I'm off to see part 2 at 7.30, not in an IMAX but it is a bigger screen and we do have central seats.

I have been a fan of Dune since I 1st read the book as a kid in the 80s. It is a book I still re-read regularly and always take something new from. I thought Villeneuve's interpretation in 1 was brilliant and I really do think he has paid respect to the original and it's overarching story and theme.

The most worrying thing for me about 2? Was Brian Herbert's glowing review.

Given the absolute disaster Herbert & Kevin Anderson made of their effort to "grow" the Herbert Duniverse 😉 in prequels, sequels and god stop please, it's already dead-quels

I hope he's not judging Villeneuve by his own piss poor standards?!?

I do hope that Villeneuve takes it as far as God Emperor. Messiah and Children are easily enough spread over 2 movies but then it gets into the esoteric and really weird ones, Still better than Brian Herbert's efforts but best left on the page anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This comes up every time there's a prestige blockbuster, and unfortunately, the simple answer here is you're not going to get anything close to a true IMAX experience in Ireland, so it's not really worth worrying about. Just go to see it at the best screen or cinema you have easy access to.

If a film has a 70mm release, then the IFI might have it. This doesn't, so it's not a concern. There's no complex format concerns as there were with Avatar 2 or Oppenheimer either.

If you just want a big screen, any multiplex with a 'premium' offering (digital IMAX, iSENSE etc..) will probably be a step above the average screen, if you're happy to pay a bit extra.

Personally, though, I tend to prefer the Light House in Dublin to any of the multiplexes: screens aren't as big, but it's just always reliable in terms of projection quality and audience. Just be aware it won't be screening on their bigger screen (1) until Sunday, as the Dublin Film Festival is on in the meantime. But it'll flag what screen it's on when you're booking.

It suits his pockets to big up these movies. Will direct some people to his work.

Or maybe he did just love it. There really has been little or no dissenting voices.

I don't see him go past Messiah the plot gets a bit ropey and very wacky from Children on and would also require a whole new cast. I would love to see how they handle later stages Leto II from an art direction point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

On a tangential reference to above, I'm no fan of Ed Sheeran but there are rumors he's to collaborate with Dani Filth of death metal band Cradle of Filth. Looking forward to that output.

In a somewhat related musical reference there's the below interesting snippet from Hans Zimmer regarding the ideas behind the soundtrack further adding to the experience. Fascinating stuff:

Just out of the showing and while I'll put more thoughts together, this was a spectacular visual and aural experience, and for a mainstream epic a pretty brave film essentially decrying the folly and tragedy of religion and the fundamentalist belief in prophecy.

It won't change your mind on the series as a whole, but hot damn this may be a future classic in the making

I honestly find my 65" OLED TV delivers a better viewing experience and image quality compared to a cinema if I sit about 1.5m from it in a dark room. The viewing angle is on par with a big screen but the image quality is better than you get with that reflected from a screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Very happy with the movie. That said the rotten tomatoes scored and the spiel about Austin Butler being a powerhouse villain? Is completely overblown IMO. The movie is visually stunning and a solid 7/10.

The 1st hour of the movie does a good job of building Paul & Jessica's efforts to secure their place with the Fremen. A lot of reverence and reference to the book, particularly regarding Paul's incomplete visions.

There's a few bits I feel were mishandled, but that was more a matter of my expectations than any mistakes or ball dropping on Villeneuve's part. Villeneuve has shifted the pacing and some of the plot, but it does hang together very well.

I'll definitely go to watch it again.

I will say something that isn't a spoiler, nor will it be much of a surprise 😉 I have no doubt that there are literal hours of footage that could be added to any future Directors Cut, should Denis ever decide to do 1.

Advertisement