Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

so.. so let me get this straight..

you think money and the whole "who owns the rights" won't enter the decision making process?

in hollywood?

For a Dune scale production?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Slydice wrote: »
    so.. so let me get this straight..

you think money and the whole "who owns the rights" won't enter the decision making process?

in hollywood?

For a Dune scale production?

Where did I mention anything about the rights?
    My worry for Dune and it's interpretation is the choice of Universe they present.
    You said
    Hope they give a shout to Norma :)
    And I replied that
    banie01 wrote: »
    Why?
    Norma is only relevant to the BG if they take the BJH and KA books as canonical.
    Note no mention of the rights, I don't care about the rights to the BJH/KA books.
    In the FH books, Norma is the fountainhead of the guild, Aurelias Venport's translight genius.

The prequel/Sequel universe are derived from the original Dune and I would assume that for logistics sake, the "Universe" film rights as a whole were sold off as a package by the Herbert estate.
    Norma in the BJH/FA books was entwined with the Sorceresses of Rossak and the nascent BG in a manner which has no coherence or flow with the FH universe.

But, let me clear in case you have a want of understanding on my point here.

Choosing to use any of BJH/FA work as the basis for any iteration of Dune would IMO be a monumental error.
    The stories lack any coherent connection with the FH universe and were basically IMO written as trash for cash.
    I say that as someone who bought each of their novels and who is still disappointed at the time and money wasted.

Owning the film rights to a steaming turd, doesn't mean you need to point a camera at it ;) (The BJH/KA contribution)

Well.. given this is a BH project..

jeez

I think there might be some disappointment in it for you if you want it stuck to the FH books

Well.. given this is a BH project..

jeez

I think there might be some disappointment in it for you if you want it stuck to the FH books

How is this Iteration a BH project?
    In what way?

I barely had to scratch at wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)
    On February 1, 2017, Villeneuve was confirmed to be directing the project by Brian Herbert, son of Frank

all over his twitter too:
    https://twitter.com/duneauthor

• Advertisement

I barely had to scratch at wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

all over his twitter too:
    https://twitter.com/duneauthor

Confirming that Villeneuve is directing the Movie based on his Father's book doesn't mean it's Brian's project.
    It means he is maximising exposure and cash generation for the literary estate, selling more books.

Does BH have a producer or writer credit?
    Is there anything at all to indicate or confirm that he holds a modicum of creative control or direction?

PS: As for barely scratching at Wiki.
    Feel free to quote any part of the article that mentions BH having creative input or control.

What am I, your google?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/fullcredits/
    Produced by
    Cale Boyter ... producer
    Joseph M. Caracciolo Jr. ... producer
    Herb Gains ... executive producer
    John Harrison ... executive producer
    Brian Herbert ... executive producer
    Kim Herbert ... executive producer
    Fuad Khalil ... Line Producer: Jordan Crew
    Tanya Lapointe ... executive producer
    Byron Merritt ... executive producer
    Mary Parent ... producer
    Jon Spaihts ... executive producer
    Thomas Tull ... executive producer
    Denis Villeneuve ... producer

No, not my Google, you are claiming it's a BH project.
    I'd differ strongly in that view, and would be more likely to say that as the rep of the Literary Estate he and his daughter are token EP's on the money train

Executive Producer, a courtesy title.
    A title that will give a nice slice of the take and no actual control.
    As for it being a BH project, the source material for the Movie is FH's Dune so I fail to see how BH will have much sway over what direction Villeneuve takes it.

Only my opinion and I may well be wrong, but I would seriously doubt given the contempt many Dune fans hold the prequels in that it would be the source of much material.
    The only reason the BJH/KA books are "canon" is that they said they were and repudiated the "unofficial" encyclopedia.
    Which given they own the story is their right.
    I'd be more inclined to go along with FH's opinion of the encyclopedia though, rather than the blatant cash grab of the new books.

It's a fairly sharp position to lock yourself out of the film if it includes any BH stuff
    but taking hardline positions like that hasn't stopped fans of other franchises

It's a fairly sharp position to lock yourself out of the film if it includes any BH stuff
    but taking hardline positions like that hasn't stopped fans of other franchises

True.
    But I would be very certain it won't hark to any BH stuff ;) I had the misfortune to read BH's contribution to Dune.
    Like I said earlier the only part of that corpus worth inclusion are his editorialised Notebooks from Dune which were written by FH in the main anyway, particularly the short stories.

I know it seems a tad extreme.
    I have read and unfortunately re-read the BH books and the best compliment I could pay them is that they are competently formulaic.
    The cynical milking of their fandom leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

I do however think that Villeneuve will do a great job with this Movie.
    The cast, the writers and the crew assembled leave me very hopeful that we will get the masterful space opera Dune deserves.

• Advertisement

surprising to lump them all together given how different they can be though

surprising to lump them all together given how different they can be though

Lump which together?
    All the BH dune books?

yeah, all the bh dune universe books

yeah, all the bh dune universe books

I take it from your Norma reference earlier that you have read at least a couple of them.

I read them 1st with so much hope.
    Hoping for something that would build on FH's work.

Instead I got templated stories that while they namechecked the Dune mythos, did nothing to either build on it or lay strong foundations for the story.

I'd describe it as one of those "put your name in a story" style books that you buy kids for their birthday.

From the Atreides back story BH laid out, to the inferences that FH laid out.
    The Cymeks, The tlielaxu, the bridge of Hrethgir and the source of the feud all name checks rather than world building.
    Milking the fandom IMO

Onto the sequels Hunters and so on.
    The really are just formulaic fantasy cut and paste jobs.
    I know that comes across as incredibly harsh on my part.
    I do feel however that were those stories submitted to any publisher without the FH connection...
    The only way they would ever have been printed is if the author self published.

IMHO in their very essence all the BH books are very generic fantasy, fudged to have a connection with Dune in name and tone, but not in quality.

Surprising to see the Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho stories thrown under the bus.

The one set on IX to.

Surprising to see the Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho stories thrown under the bus.

The one set on IX to.

Do you mean the short stories?
    Those are apart from the Bronso of IX one, based on outline drafts left by FH.
    Not really attributal to BH IMO, not his original work and much better for it IMO.

He had great characters already mapped out and just had to flesh out the story.

Look this is dragging the film talk off topic and I'm sure noone else wants to hear me banging on about my opinion of BH's "work" ;)

Ah so something not exclusively FH is allowable. Now you have an "in" just in case ;)

So, now... at least ya got 6 books worth of stuff you can give a shot to even if they push to look a bit outside them. Given the money the Cinematic Universes have made, I just can't see the film studios not going there.

If they can manage God Emporer well. That'll be a pivot if they get to it.
    banie01 wrote: »
    Look this is dragging the film talk off topic and I'm sure noone else wants to hear me banging on about my opinion of BH's "work" ;)
    The discussion might might spur some life into the thread :)

Saying that though, I did recently post in favour of keeping GOT book threads separate from non-book threads over on that forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I mean more that Game of Thrones now likely drives about 80% of all Networks' conversations about new shows, and that the Gesserit's modus operandi likely lit some fires in the minds of those executives; from what I recall though, the Gesserit were a lot more substantial to the world of Dune, quietly messing with the gene pools and marriages to create the Super Being they were after.

Sure, and I agree.

But, a focus on the Bene Gesserit order being the basis of a good show is a different matter. Not to mention whether it's actually needed or not. Especially at this stage, when the first film hasn't even been shot yet.

This "everything is a franchise now" game gets my goat. I'd rather studios concentrated on the quality of their output first, rather than the prospective longevity and spin off's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

According to Brian Herbert, filming on Dune has officially wrapped. Into the mines of post-production now, with a trailer maybe not that far into the future?

So very much Post I imagine :)

Set GPUs to Max!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Don’t fvck this up lads

Well get loads of lingering tasty shots of Timothee so there’s that.

:eek: NEED FILM NOW!
    Brian Herbert
    @DuneAuthor
    Vi-Dan Tran [Utility Stunts / Assistant choreographer] tweeted: OMG ITS A WRAP FOR ME! 😳😳😳 7 months are over! Budapest jordan budapest 🙈🙈 finally going home!! Thanks to big brother @rogerzyuan for the great opportunity!! 🙏🙏🙏 i will miss the team! #DUNE

486620.jpg

Original tweet:
    https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1155592317962637312

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm a little concerned that that hack Brian Herbert appears to be so involved...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned that that hack Brian Herbert appears to be so involved...

Scriptwriting credits go to Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve himself, so doesn't look like Herbert is anywhere near the script. Maybe he's just there as canon consultant or equivalent, which would make some kind of sense

Though perhaps more worrying is that Spaihts has a writing credit for The Mummy, the Tom Cruise trainwreck version. Yikes. I trust Villeneuve though - a great director, while Blade Runner 2047 was so much better than it had any right to be

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Scriptwriting credits go to Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve himself, so doesn't look like Herbert is anywhere near the script. Maybe he's just there as canon consultant or equivalent, which would make some kind of sense
    I guess as long as he isn't incorporating "canon" from his junk books...
    I trust Villeneuve though - a great director, while Blade Runner 2047 was so much better than it had any right to be
    I preferred 2049 myself but yes, it was much better than I expected and 'Arrival' was top notch too. As it stands, I couldn't have picked a director I'd have had more confidence in - if Vllieneuve can't do it, then pretty much nobody will pull it off.

I dunno, if the Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho backstories from the Brian Herbert cannon books aren't allowed, then I think their characters would seem ungrounded.

Did they just grow up as angsty teens or something as far people who don't want the Brian Herbert cannon books allowed are thinking?

ixoy wrote: »
    I guess as long as he isn't incorporating "canon" from his junk books...

I preferred 2049 myself but yes, it was much better than I expected and 'Arrival' was top notch too. As it stands, I couldn't have picked a director I'd have had more confidence in - if Vllieneuve can't do it, then pretty much nobody will pull it off.

2047 was a special version only a select got to see ;) :P

I don't think he has put a foot wrong so far, and like you would have faith he can marry the demands of the studio blockbuster with the sensibilities of the series itself.

That said, while the film is only covering half the first book, I'm still girding myself for a shallower, more superficial adaptation. There's too much going on the novel to translate entirely to the cinema, some things will need trimming down.

Good call. December seems to be empty. November had a Marvel film, The Eternals, just announced in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If they are going with December they must be confident they have a winner

Advertisement