Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

AFAIK the film in 2020 covers half of the first book. I wouldn't be surprised if some scenes for the sequel have already been shot.

I hope they don't "straight white male-ify" Baron Harkonin. He is an evil despicable man who happens to be homosexual but in the current political zeitgeist, that may not go down too well. Stay true to the source material please filmmakers.

Oh really, anything else in the book that might not go down well in the current climate?

Not sure how well sarcasm is transferred here.
    I think Sicario is an incredible movie, I trust him with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Oh really, anything else in the book that might not go down well in the current climate?

Not sure how well sarcasm is transferred here.
    I think Sicario is an incredible movie, I trust him with this.

I dont know I havnt read the book... Harkonin is my favourite character in Lynches movie so I'd hate for him to be airbrushed with social justice. I think thats a fair concern.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Stay true to the source material please filmmakers.
    I dont know I havnt read the book...
    You haven't much skin in the game to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

To watch David Lynch’s Dune, having read the book is essesntial to understand the what’s going on, great movie though...

Dades wrote: »
    You haven't much skin in the game to be fair!

I know enough to fear that they may mess with the Harkonen character

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Villeneuve has been criticised quite a bit for not being woke enough, so I think it will be okay. I wouldn’t mind what the actors are saying too much. They are trying to sell the movie.

Will the harkonens have red have red hair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Solid!

I remember looking to find out who'd be Feyd but couldn't find anything.

Might still be auditioning .. or holding back a big announcement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait are those random headshots or are those stills from the movie?

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait are those random headshots or are those stills from the movie?

Headshots. That's Timothée Chalamet in the film The King .. which I've been meaning to watch.. but kinda put on the long finger after a not-so-great review on it's thread

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know enough to fear that they may mess with the Harkonen character

That you know nothing about

Well except for his sexuality of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Happy with the casting except for Jason Momoa

I'm wondering how could he possibly
    last for seven or eight films or more.. although.. as the years go by I assume de-aging tech will have progressed further than where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was just going to say that, that is a crazy bit of casting. How is he going to pull off everything that happens to Idaho? You could literally pick any other male in that pic and they'd be a better fit, including Skarsgard.

Thargor wrote: »
    Was just going to say that, that is a crazy bit of casting. How is he going to pull off everything that happens to Idaho? You could literally pick any other male in that pic and they'd be a better fit, including Skarsgard.

I can only guess they are banking on de-aging tech

lawred2 wrote: »
    That you know nothing about

Well except for his sexuality of course

I have heard some of the characters are being gender swapped and we can see Pauls love interest is black. Its starting to look like they will not have an evil gay man in it now. And also, none of of us know for sure we will all have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Has Bijaz been cast yet? I'd imagine Peter Dinkledge would be a shoe in for that character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have heard some of the characters are being gender swapped and we can see Pauls love interest is black. Its starting to look like they will not have an evil gay man in it now. And also, none of of us know for sure we will all have to wait and see

Who has been gender swapped? Everyone in that castlist photo is the gender they were written as. Don't see any major omissions either of the principal cast - especially as the film will go up to the midway point of the first book.

And of course Chani isn't white, she's a member of a desert race that live on Arakis/Dune; it'd be stupider & weirder if she was played by some pasty white person.

I mean if you want to be pedantic, they've got the ethnicity wrong for the Fremen, as Chani and Stilgar should be played by middle-eastern actors, but in Hollywood anyone vaguely tanned can pass. It's better than Chani being played by Daisy Ridley :rolleyes: :D

Stop trying to find something to get all "Grr, SJW", it's pretty transparent and the thread was doing perfectly fine until you started trying to curry some outrage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This has to be a pi$$ take. it's too funny not to be.
    Keep it coming kidchameleon, love your work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    And of course Chani isn't white, she's a member of a desert race that live on Arakis/Dune; it'd be stupider & weirder if she was played by some pasty white person.
    She lives in a cave system, and wears a full body suit when she goes outside. She should be pretty pale, actually. :)

I agree though that the obvious casting for the Fremen would be someone Middle Eastern. It doesn't make much sense having diverse Fremen - they seem like they should be a fairly insular and therefore homogeneous group, so while I don't care who they cast, it does bother me slightly that Chani and Stilgar are so unalike.

The guy claiming this is all woke and gender swapped is scratching around for something to be offended by though. There's no sign this is anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mikhail wrote: »
    It does bother me slightly that Chani and Stilgar are so unalike.

What makes them so unalike?

mikhail wrote: »
    She lives in a cave system, and wears a full body suit when she goes outside. She should be pretty pale, actually. :)

I agree though that the obvious casting for the Fremen would be someone Middle Eastern. It doesn't make much sense having diverse Fremen - they seem like they should be a fairly insular and therefore homogeneous group, so while I don't care who they cast, it does bother me slightly that Chani and Stilgar are so unalike.

The guy claiming this is all woke and gender swapped is scratching around for something to be offended by though. There's no sign this is anything like that.

That's true enough re. Chani, though SciFi rarely has its underground dwelling races, tribes, or bunker groups pasty mole-people anyway, so given the strong Middle Eastern element of the Fremen, visually it make sense to default them as appearing non-white. But as you say, poster's trying to create a question to his answer.

This has to be a pi$$ take. it's too funny not to be.
    Keep it coming kidchameleon, love your work...

Not at all and unfortunately its looking more and more likely that I am right...

Liet Kynes, a white male character (played previously by Max von Sydow) looks to have been played by a black woman (Sharon Duncan-Brewster) in Dune 2020...

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/07/29/exclusive-denis-villenueves-dune-film-to-gender-swap-liet-kynes/

So now not only do we have pandering to blacks, we also have pandering to feminists. I'm calling it now, Harkonin will NOT be homosexual in Dune 2020.

So now not only do we have pandering to blacks, we also have pandering to feminists. I'm calling it now, Harkonin will NOT be homosexual in Dune 2020.

Liet is not a major character, just a factotum. Nothing is lost in flipping the gender of someone who
    dies midway through book 1, which apparently is where the film will end
    . Nobody gives a crap about Liet Kynes lol.

And if you bothered reading the book you'd have noted that the middle eastern, non white influence is there on the page. Or maybe don't, cos all the references to jihad might make you have conniptions, and why let that get in the way of some hyperbole. Pandering. Would ya gway with that

Cannot confirm any of this but it seems legit...

Footage was shown to selected people and a trailer is due to land "soon"

https://cosmicbook.news/dune-footage-reactions-trailer

"-Cast looks phenomenal in their costumes.
    -The sets are ENORMOUS; same scope as BR2049 and ARRIVAL.
    -Mix of grimy realism and dreamlike imagery.
    -Timothée Chalamet as Paul looks excellent.
    -Rebecca Ferguson looks “eerie”.
    -Dave Bautista looks like a “monster” as the Beast.
    -Cinematography looks excellent."

The usual YouTubers are talking about it too. I have to say, this could well be epic.

(Slightly) more info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P058nHj0i-o

He describes (with second hand information) some of the scenes in the footage

Kinda want that trailer to be "sooner" than "soon" :)

The utter lack of promotions has been patience testing. Though knowing the director I'm confident what we'll get will look the part anyway.

• Advertisement

Are the rumours that Billy Crystal will be voicing the Sand worms true ?

Advertisement