Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence renewal.

Options
  • 01-02-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

im not one to whinge or moan,i got my .22lr renewal notice today,now it gave me 3 months from printed date to do it,just wanted it out of the way,so filled it in,took it down,met a guard at the window,he looked at it,looked at my id,done a bit of pen work,then in a really smug way said...is there any reasons why this should not be renewed? i said no,then he said, we will check up on you anyway,i said i've done nothing wrong,then he walked away,a real smart ass,afaik,its not up to him,(unless he was the FO)to grant my renewal.just really got to me the way he acted.id hate for him to have the last word on granting any licence,id say there would be very few guns round here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

sniperman wrote: »
    im not one to whinge or moan,i got my .22lr renewal notice today,now it gave me 3 months from printed date to do it,just wanted it out of the way,so filled it in,took it down,met a guard at the window,he looked at it,looked at my id,done a bit of pen work,then in a really smug way said...is there any reasons why this should not be renewed? i said no,then he said, we will check up on you anyway,i said i've done nothing wrong,then he walked away,a real smart ass,afaik,its not up to him,(unless he was the FO)to grant my renewal.just really got to me the way he acted.id hate for him to have the last word on granting any licence,id say there would be very few guns round here.

As long as you don't react to provocation ,have no criminal convictions, there will be no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Follow it up in a month or so if you don't get your grant letter by then. Just in case the paperwork gets.... ahem.... 'mislaid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"And have a nice day now too Garda!"Should have been your response walking out.
    Not the worst Sniperman... Just let it go right over your head..It's just part of the joys of owning a firearm in Ireland of dealing with such friendly,knowledgeable and professionl staff on a tri annual basis. You do need a WONDERFUL sense of humour to be a gun owner in this great little country of ours.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Did you get a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The world is full of Arseholes......it looks like you may have met one....Congratulations put it in your little black/red book....I do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Rosahane wrote: »
    Did you get a receipt?

I've never gotten a receipt. I was told they don't give out receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've never gotten a receipt. I was told they don't give out receipts.

Contrary to what a lot of lads will say their under no obligation to give you a receipt. No where in the firearms act does it say we have to be given a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks lads for replies.no,got no receipt,never did when i renewed before,ahh its just the way it was dealt with that got to me,i mean not so long ago on the local paper a notice was issued warning firearms owners that have not renewed,to do so immediately or face confiscation/prosecution,and heres me doing it 3 months before i had to,and facing that attitude, ah well, could be worse,ill let it go over my head,and say no more,and to himself id say lighten up a bit,lifes way to short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

thanks lads for replies.no,got no receipt,never did when i renewed before,ahh its just the way it was dealt with that got to me,i mean not so long ago on the local paper a notice was issued warning firearms owners that have not renewed,to do so immediately or face confiscation/prosecution,and heres me doing it 3 months before i had to,and facing that attitude, ah well, could be worse,ill let it go over my head,and say no more,and to himself id say lighten up a bit,lifes way to short.

Annoys me too, I remember the headlines years ago when the new regulations came in and some ancient old wall hangers that were lying around where handed in.....I think the Gardai press office was quoted that x amount of firearms where taken off the street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.............then in a really smug way said...is there any reasons why this should not be renewed? i said no,then he said, we will check up on you anyway,i said i've done nothing wrong,...................
    I've had the same thing, thankfully only once.

Just smile, ask him/her to do their job, and walk out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cass wrote: »
    I've had the same thing, thankfully only once.

Just smile, ask him/her to do their job, and walk out.

Hopefully there's only a small handful of them out there.....anytime I've renewed here in Dublin I've been treated with utmost professional attitude......helpful, accommodating and efficient..............couldn't fault them....and it was different people I dealt with every three years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The one time was a stand in at a, now closed, local station.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement