Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Suggestions

Options
  • 01-02-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

Now that I have n+1 bikes, I'm in the market for a turbo trainer. I know most of you here use power meters but I'm not quite there yet.

I was thinking of getting the Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer seen here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/tacx-vortex-smart-trainer/rp-prod125671 though I've seen it for €350 somewhere else.

Anyone here have any experience with one of these or could recommend a turbo? cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm a huge turbo user/advocate and can only say I nearly upgraded to this turbo a while back.

If I were buying one then this is the one I'd go for. Best value overall I thought.

I ended up sticking with my budget minoura v150 as it basically works.
    Tried zwift as a middle ground but didn't get into it.
    Turbo, music and pain and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

I recently got the elite qubo smart digital b+. Upgraded from the very basic tacx.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the elite. I use it a lot with zwift. It allows you to do a ftp test and train by watts. Dunno how accurate it is though. I believe it's the cheapest controllable trainer comparable with zwift. I paid around 330 euros off some German bike site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Neady I have a Tacx which I had been thinking of selling as I'm now surrounded by MTB playground. I'll send you details on FB later if you're interested.

Edit: Tacx Flow is the model. Has the handlebar mounted controller. Nice bit of kit though the newer units tend to be Virtual Reality trainers with connections for apps and ride along games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Unless you can get a good deal on a second hand one for that money I'd be looking for a direct drive one. I've found them better, more realistic feeling and just less hassle really. Direct mount saves your tyres from the turbo and most people would have a spare tyre, wheel they would use on the turbo. Direct mount takes away from this and because it's one less thing to do before your turbo it gives you one less excuse for not getting on it.

I have used this one before,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-turbo-muin-ii-fluid-direct-drive-trainer/

It's not smart so won't adjust based on Zwift or anything like that, but I used it with trainer road and it was within 7/8 watts of my power using a power meter. That turbo combined with trainer road would be a great set up.

Pretty sure Mossym uses this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have the Elite Turbo Muin with the B+ sensor, which gives a power reading. I use it with TrainerRoad. I got it in halfords, where with the axa discount it came in as good as I could find online. The sensor and cassette are extra's though.

Now I have the pain cave, and so noise less of an issue (muin is very quiet), I was thinking of going for a smart resistance turbo. However, the last TrainerRoad podcast actually had a question on this, and they reckoned direct drive over smart resistance! It does require a bit more concentration to actually hit the power targets, especially if you're watching something, compared to how I imagine a smart turbo would be.

TrainerRoad and I think Zwift will do virtual power on most "dumb" turbo's, once you have a speed and cadence sensor.

• Advertisement

I have the Elite Turbo Muin with the B+ sensor, which gives a power reading. I use it with TrainerRoad. I got it in halfords, where with the axa discount it came in as good as I could find online. The sensor and cassette are extra's though.

Now I have the pain cave, and so noise less of an issue (muin is very quiet), I was thinking of going for a smart resistance turbo. However, the last TrainerRoad podcast actually had a question on this, and they reckoned direct drive over smart resistance! It does require a bit more concentration to actually hit the power targets, especially if you're watching something, compared to how I imagine a smart turbo would be.

TrainerRoad and I think Zwift will do virtual power on most "dumb" turbo's, once you have a speed and cadence sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have had
    * a Elite Fluid trainer
    * a computrainer
    * a Wahoo Kickr
    * a Tacx Neo

Do not touch anything from Wahoo, a second hand CT would be decent. Neo probably out of your price range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if one uses a continental super sport you have a tyre that does well on and of the turbo . no need to change wheels etc etc.

Would agree with fazz easy does it.

and what tunney says , ct is virtually indistructable and if found at a good 2nd hand price useful.

I would stay away form very cheap ones but the next price band usally does what one wants
    if you want a turbo that you want to move around than i would go with a lighter one , mag , elite usually the lightest .

peter kern wrote: »
    if one uses a continental super sport you have a tyre that does well on and of the turbo . no need to change wheels etc etc.

Would agree with fazz easy does it.

and what tunney says , ct is virtually indistructable and if found at a good 2nd hand price useful.

I would stay away form very cheap ones but the next price band usally does what one wants
    if you want a turbo that you want to move around than i would go with a lighter one , mag , elite usually the lightest .

I got a response in just over 20 minutes, result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    I got a response in just over 20 minutes, result. :)

Hahaha! You need to be quick around here ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Thanks everyone for the really good advice, I'm leaning towards the Elite Turbo Muin with the B+ sensor. It's just within my budget and seems to tick the boxes for a first turbo. I plan on retiring my road bike so will mount it permanently on the turbo.

It doesn't take a genius to set it up and get it going does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I have had
    * a Elite Fluid trainer
    * a computrainer
    * a Wahoo Kickr
    * a Tacx Neo

Do not touch anything from Wahoo, a second hand CT would be decent. Neo probably out of your price range

I've been thinking of selling my (his old) CT if anyone is interested :)

ray o wrote: »
    I've been thinking of selling my (his old) CT if anyone is interested :)

How much? I may buy it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

How much? I may buy it back

Is the clothes horse broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

It's easy enough. Took me about 5 minutes. You will need an ant+ dongle, which is a few quid on amazon. I use a cadence meter and a hr strap as well. Zwift automatically sync's it all up. Just check that your laptop is up to zwift and is within their recommended spec. Can't comment on trainerroad etc.

The b+ sensor works as a cadence sensor too. Think it was easy to set up. Think the only thing I had to adjust in TrainerRoad was wheel diameter.

You'll also need an ant+ dongle I think, although they say Bluetooth too. Don't know whether it was me, the machines or the software but I didn't have much joy with Bluetooth, and I had the ant+ dongle anyway, and an ant hrm etc. so I didn't try that hard tbh

TrainerRoad has android and Apple apps, as well as windows 10. It works fine on a Windows 10 netbook at the bar minimum spec for me. I also use the android app with the dongle and an otg cable.

Advertisement