Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to work after 3 kids??

Options
  • 01-02-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I have 2 kids - 4 year old with autism and a 1 year old girl. I am expecting a 3rs in august. At the moment I am on Carers leave and due back to my full time role in Aug 18.
    Is it worth going back? My wage will just about cover childcare - I dont know if creche is an option as my son might find after school care difficult. Childminder in my house would be ideal but I dont think its affordable.
    My childcare budget is 2k a month (almost my salary gone). I guess the benefit I am looking at is long term....paying for their futures, our retirement etc.
    My mind os frazzled as it is impossible to get a straight answer on costs. Then there is the turmoil of is it even possible. And leaving them will be hard.
    Although some days at home are much harder.
    Has anyone been through it? Any idea what it would cost? I'm County Cork

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For a minder in your own home minimum wage applies and you pay their PRSI etc.
    There are a few people here who have them but it normally falls between 12-15 euro an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think it's a totally personal thing and there's no right or wrong answer. Yes it can be soul destroying to be working purely to pay childcare, but I think you have to look at that as a short term problem and it's you're doing in for your future and your career path. Only you can answer if that's enough to get you out of bed in the morning and through a day's work! I would say don't worry about it for the moment, it's a year and a half away, see how you feel closer to the time and after the new baby arrives. Would it be an option to return to work part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Part time is not an option which is a shame..i will be lucky to get a 4 day week. Whats pushing my decision is that I have an option to change careers - into something that has better hours, that woukd almost match school hours...so its a toss up between current role and childcare or change roles, min wage for me but no childcare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I suppose all you can do is do the maths and see how your finances would work out with each job. If it were me, I would probably take the career change with more family friendly hours. This time with them is so fleeting and they are small for such a short time. But then I'm not the most ambitious career person out there! I put a lot of value on family time and also the reduction in stress of not having to deal with long hours, childcare etc.

Advertisement