Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco training

Options
  • 01-02-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    Ive been looking for a change in career for a while now. Im currently doing web design and i feel the creative side just isnt for me anymore. Ive always been interested in the more technical side of things and im thinking of looking into cisco certifications - CCENT and CCNA

I have no prior experience with networking bar troubleshooting my home issues. What would be the best way of going about this? Would i require any prior experience or other education to be able to do this?

Whats the best way of learning this, should i do a course somewhere or can i self teach? If i can self teach what are the best methods and resources?

Apologies if this is asked alot.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

cloudrory wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Ive been looking for a change in career for a while now. Im currently doing web design and i feel the creative side just isnt for me anymore. Ive always been interested in the more technical side of things and im thinking of looking into cisco certifications - CCENT and CCNA

I have no prior experience with networking bar troubleshooting my home issues. What would be the best way of going about this? Would i require any prior experience or other education to be able to do this?

Whats the best way of learning this, should i do a course somewhere or can i self teach? If i can self teach what are the best methods and resources?

Apologies if this is asked alot.
    Thanks

I did it a few years ago using CBT Nuggets videos and Packet Tracer for simulation. I had no prior experience but I had a very basic understanding of networking from my college days. CCENT was quite easy, I remember leaving the exam with 40 minutes to spare. The second exam I found a lot more difficult and I failed it twice by a very small margin (819/1000 when I needed 825) before getting it the third time.

The course has been updated since I did it but I'm sure it could be done like I did. However , when moving on to CCNP I found you would definitely hugely benefit from hands on industry experience.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭championc

I can highly recommend ccna.ie for CCNA. Rather than pouring over theory, Lee (the tutor) divides each week in half and spends the second half actually building labs - so you can actually make things work as presented during the first half.

You'll still have to put in a decent amount of effort yourself, but you'd be better prepared for the future I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Just failed ICDN1 yesterday 720/1000 needed 835.

Been using CBT nuggets videos and the transcender questions that come with it getting 98% on them questions -(which i think are worthless as they seem to have loads of stuff not even supposed to be in the exam, old stuff)

Measureup practice questions, getting 80% on these but there sims are flawed.

Was stuff on the exam that wasn't in any of them and particularlly the CBT vids which i thought covered the course well..

a question on OSPF that as far as im aware was only supposed to be in ICDN2. configuring a serial connection/frame relay.

Kinda pissed off about it as it doesn't take much to fail it so stuff popping up you thought wasnt going to is a bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭championc

There are continuous changes to the syllabus so were you looking at material for the proper revision of your course now ? Realistically, nonCisco produced study aids should be used with caution. You may need to consider using it in conjunction with Cisco Press books.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't end up sitting the CCNA exam ? In any case, you'd be better just going for the CCNA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MiroPoland

Hello, I have 5_1 cisco curriculum online available if you want to learn. Can u send the link via email. I also want to pass ccna exam and already started learn all material ... If you want got team speak server so we can solve cisco labs together online :) also I need to rise my language level

• Advertisement
Advertisement