Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job in financial services to do the Primary PME

Options
  • 01-02-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm a male in my early 20s and am considering giving up my present job in financial services to go and do the Primary PME. With the lack of jobs in the market these days is it a crazy choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

LMLFC92 wrote: »
    I'm a male in my early 20s and am considering giving up my present job in financial services to go and do the Primary PME. With the lack of jobs in the market these days is it a crazy choice?

That's for you to decide - are you prepared to give up your salary, go back to university, qualify and spend a few years getting the job you want? Look at the pay scales for primary school teachers - I presume its on the INTO website and compare it to what you are on now? Also consider where you are now - partner, kids, mortgage etc. Have you considered Hibernia - you can work with this but would need time off for TP. There was a thread started here a few years ago with the reasons why you should not become a teacher - well worth a read - you see the story from both sides. If its something you really want to do - go for it - best of luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Before you do anything else, you need to get some form of experience with that age group, so you aren't going in eyes closed. You will also need to be able to survive for a good while on casual subbing. There's a shortage this year of short term subs as no colleges launched graduates due to the change in length of the course and that fact that so many people have left teaching in despair.

There was once a perception that men got jobs more easily than women but that day- if it ever really existed is certainly well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Teaching is not just a job. It's a vocation and is not for everyone. Of course you need to consider your financial situation etc. but it's far more important that you consider why you want to teach.

There are far too many teachers in it for the wrong reasons (holidays, job security once you're in etc.). Luckily, there are also plenty who are in it because they want to make a difference. I couldn't imagine doing anything else and think it's the best job in the world but that's because I love doing it, not because of the perks.

If you are passionate about education and working with kids, go for it. If not, don't.

As a male you probably wouldn't find it too difficult to get jobs. A lot also depends on where you are from and where you want to live. If you're happy to teach in Dublin, you probably won't have too much trouble. Either way, be prepared to sub and take short term temporary roles for a while - maybe even a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

If you earn over 30k and it's going to rise , YES!!!!( Although I am curious about these mystical beasts ,the Irish teacher that works in Middle East for a few years before coming back to buy their house for cash !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

2011abc wrote: »
    If you earn over 30k and it's going to rise , YES!!!!( Although I am curious about these mystical beasts ,the Irish teacher that works in Middle East for a few years before coming back to buy their house for cash !

A new teacher will earn 35k and rises every year? Silly reasons not to get into teaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

My whole life people nudged at me to go into teaching, and to be honest I kind of just wanted to do my own thing and go against what they said. Ended up working in the financial sector for a while myself, and after sitting the IoB exams, said feck this, and have just sent off the last of my paperwork to begin a PME.
    I've been working in adult education and tutoring for the last while, to earn a bit and get some teaching experience in. But definetly the right choice for me. The monotony of financial services, the lack of empathy and just the degrading attitudes of some of the people I worked with, was the kick I needed.
    But you do need to decide if it's right for you. Personally I don't think money should be your deciding factor. I want a decent life, quality time with my family and friends, and a job I enjoy. I would happily give up the better money for some sort of job satisfaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc11 wrote: »
    A new teacher will earn 35k and rises every year? Silly reasons not to get into teaching

What do you mean by new:
    A newly qualified teacher....
    or
    a teacher on their first permanent contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What do you mean by new:
    A newly qualified teacher....
    or
    a teacher on their first permanent contract?

A primary teacher will start on near 35k up to 60k, a finance grad will start at 20k work up 60k. It's laughable to think a finance admin role is somehow far more financially rewarding. Pay raises are not guaranteed in a finance role either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A primary teacher will start on near 35k up to 60k, a finance grad will start at 20k work up 60k. It's laughable to think a finance admin role is somehow far more financially rewarding. Pay raises are not guaranteed in a finance role either

What do you mean by new teacher?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You're presuming the teacher gets a full time position , which the majority don't and even if full hours, permanent jobs are as rare as hens' teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You're presuming the teacher gets a full time position , which the majority don't and even if full hours, permanent jobs are as rare as hens' teeth.

There's a lot of presuming when it comes to teaching - everyone is an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

While most don't start on full time contracts I'd imagine at least 90% of teachers are on full time contracts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Half the teachers in my old school were not on full hours. Most were there many years. Only Donald Trump would believe all teachers get full-time jobs and start on 35k.
    It's a great job, I know it's great, it's going to be fantastic.

OP - if you were a relative or a friend of mine, I would say don't be mad, stay where you are. You can always work your way into training in your company if you have a teaching itch needs to be scratched. At least you would have a job.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    While most don't start on full time contracts I'd imagine at least 90% of teachers are on full time contracts.
    We have a staff of 22, 8 subs this year and 2 part time shared SEN teachers, neither on full hours.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Imagination vs reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Absolutely no newly qualified teachers starts on 35k! Where the hell is this figure coming from?

Advertisement