Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time insurance help

Options
  • 01-02-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, so there are many post like this here but non specific to my situation. I have a learners permit(provisional license) since the last 3 years. But I have decided this year im going to learn how to drive.I basically bought a car to learn on over the weekend and need to get it insured. Some insurance companies wont insure the car as Im only a learner. Others are charging more than 5k which is just ridiculous as the car was only €600. Im a 20 year old female who has done 10 edt lessons. The car I have is a 2001 Nissan Micra gx 1.0 engine. Can someone please tell me some insurers who insure learner drivers and arent expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

cookie1996 wrote: »
    Hi, so I could not find a recent post with this information so I decided to post about it. I have a learners permit(provisional license) since the last 3 years. But I have decided this year im going to learn how to drive.I basically bought a car to learn on over the weekend and need to get it insured. Some insurance companies wont insure the car as Im only a learner. Others are charging more than 5k which is just ridiculous as the car was only €600. Im a 20 year old female who has done 10 edt lessons. The car I have is a 2001 Nissan Micra gx 1.0 engine. Can someone please tell me some insurers who insure learner drivers and arent expensive.

Its all over boards about insurance.

You are restricted with no.1 age of car as its too old most won't insure and also you have no full licence.

Best option is get lessons and pass test then get insurance.

I was 20 male 1st insurance full licence exact same car €3500 that was over 10 years ago.

Its going to be expensive no matter what but insurance is on the up daily by the looks of it.

Try boxymo. Its4women and so on. Even try some brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The value of your car has very little bearing on the premium. A €600 car can potentially do as much injury or damage as a €600,000 car.

There really is no quick answer or shortcut formula to getting a cheap quote, you will have to shop around the various insurance companies and brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cookie1996

Its all over boards about insurance.

You are restricted with no.1 age of car as its too old most won't insure and also you have no full licence.

Best option is get lessons and pass test then get insurance.

I was 20 male 1st insurance full licence exact same car €3500 that was over 10 years ago.

Its going to be expensive no matter what but insurance is on the up daily by the looks of it.

Try boxymo. Its4women and so on. Even try some brokers.
    Hi thanks for the reply. By the question I meant there was non specific to my situation. I already bought the car so I cant do anything about the age . To pass the test i need to practice, only lessons wont do. For practising I need a insured car. Boxymo isnt giving me any quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When getting quotes, try adding one of your parents (assuming they are penalty point/claim free) companies will generally give a discount for them.

The only way to get a cheaper quote is to call everyone but I wouldn’t hold out hope. Between the age of the car, the provisional licence and your age, you're fairly screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi thanks for the reply. By the question I meant there was non specific to my situation. I already bought the car so I cant do anything about the age . To pass the test i need to practice, only lessons wont do. For practising I need a insured car. Boxymo isnt giving me any quotes.

I know you already have the car but that's part of the reason no quotes and higher quotes as age because that's what they add to the equation.

How can you not get lessons and pass 1st you could still hold onto car. Have you done your 12 lessons and if not applicable then get a few lessons see how you get on. You can't drive car alone so not really much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 cookie1996

Thank you for the help :o . But to pass the test i need to practice and for that l need a car. I have already bought the car so cant do anything about the age.I have tired a few insurance companies and no insurance company would come under 5k. Can everyone please suggest an insurance company for first time drivers please. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thank you for the help :o . But to pass the test i need to practice and for that l need a car. I have already bought the car so cant do anything about the age.I have tired a few insurance companies and no insurance company would come under 5k. Can everyone please suggest an insurance company for first time drivers please. :(

Youve gotten them they are quoting five k.

What companies have you tried?

Advertisement