Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RX 480 8GB upgrade problems

Options
  • 01-02-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I have upgraded my GPU from a R7 290 to a RX 480 8GB Sapphire Nitro edition. I first encountered problems when I began to run DOOM at Ultra settings. Upon doing so it would power down my computer and restart. I ran Mortal Kombat X with full settings prior to this.

So I thought maybe update some drivers and software. Next i ran an older game (Dead Space 2) but this crashes after 5 seconds of the title screen...
    I have used AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and went through ADD/REMOVE software on Windows 10 but still have crashing.

Below is a blue screen that has popped up a couple of times now

5555.jpg

Updating my BIOS was also mentioned but there are no updates for my system on HPs website under Windows 10. There is for Windows 8.1 but they will not install.

If someone could tell me what to uninstall or remove and then what to install after that would be great.

My full system spec can be found here - http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04343334

This is my first time upgrading any components in this computer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you try the "Intel chipset driver" and the "Intel management engine" driver for HP's site?

I have seen people using older motherboards having issues with the 480's but normally a bios update helps.Not much use to you though.

I presume the card you upgraded from was a typo and is actually a R9 270 ?
    If so I'd guess they use about the same power so the PSU should be up to the task.

Gpu fully seated and connection from power supply connected fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Think i went through all of the HP updates for my PC but will double check the ones you mentioned.

Yeah cant seem to find official BIOS files

I checked the power situation before buying but when this problem occurred I really thought it was related as it only happened when I jacked the graphics up to Ultra but now it happens either way. And yep it was a typo :)

It looks to be. Just compared both cards and the only major size difference is the length.

Testing my old card now to see if damage was done to something on the mother board

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

What psu have you got Darragh? Model number just so we can rule out power draw as the cause.

Also a very quick search shows links between AMD overdrive and AODDriver2.sys error so remove that from the crimson install and see how you get on.

Intel Core i7 4790
    CPU speed: up to 3.6 GHz (max turbo boost - 4.0 GHz)
    CPU cores: 4
    CPU Cache: 8 MB
    TDP: 84 W
    Socket: LGA 1150

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

PSU is power supply, not cpu.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

A Hp power supply might not be able to run that graphics card. It's advertised as 500w, but chances are it's more like 300-350w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RossieMan wrote: »
    A Hp power supply might not be able to run that graphics card. It's advertised as 500w, but chances are it's more like 300-350w.

Most OEM units do deliver on what they promise as they're typically only included in higher end units that are initially sold as 'gaming PCs' versus your average home PC which only come with 200-250w supplies.

The card he replaced was an R9 270 which actually draws similar power to the RX480 - not ruling out the power supply but the whole system under load still shouldn't be drawing more than about 300-350w ballpark and that supply should be up to the job no problem. HP also used these 500w supplies in systems running HD7950's and GTX670 class cards which are actually more power hungry than RX480 or GTX1060 cards.

The other issue is one of three potential problems:

1) RX cards do have issues with some older motherboards, though yours is pretty recent so it should be fine.

2) HP themselves sometimes (not in all models) tend to lock down card support in the bios, therefore any card released after the last bios may work patchily or not work at all. I've encountered this infuriating situation in many older HP machines, but for some reason always the 'home' type - never the Elite range (which tends to be all the gaming models), or the workstations either.

3) The PSU for some reason is having issues supplying enough power on a single 8-pin. You could try a dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adaptor and see if this helps.

In one machine all GTX6 cards inc the GTX690 worked fine but a GTX750Ti and GTX760 would not even boot, and of course there were no new bios' released after about 2013 for the machine in question.

Also, is there an option in your bios to manually select PCI Express revision/compatibility? There should be a list like "Auto", "Gen 1", and "Gen 2" - try manually selecting Gen 2 or Gen 1 at a time and see if either help, this worked for me on an older board with an RX470 by using "Gen 2".

Also where do you live? If you're near one of us we could have it tested and sorted in an hour either way, whatever the problem is.

I ran a windowed DOOM and opened MSI Afterburner and Core Temp. Picture 1 is at Medium settings. Picture 2 is at hight settings and just before it crashed when I picked up a gun off a dead guy at the very start of the game.

16466246_10155775487189167_1197929083_o.png

16491544_10155775487259167_1590508138_o.png

I cant see anything in my BIOS to change that setting but maybe I am missing something. Below a few screenshots

16409676_10155775484784167_418530860_o.jpg

16443830_10155775484714167_1489612598_o.jpg

16443847_10155775484844167_521384891_o.jpg

16466216_10155775484659167_1638314550_o.jpg

16466743_10155775484669167_1915105934_o.jpg

16491328_10155775485229167_1020652116_o.jpg

16491435_10155775484744167_1790114735_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Remove the AMD driver in safemode, reboot, install AMD driver.

If it keeps happening, its probable that the card is faulty.

That Bluescreen basically means that the AMD driver was in a loop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would also be inclined to think it could be the board and the fact there are no bios updates available for it in almost 3 years. I have had tonnes of problems with RX cards on older boards (mostly older than Haswell admittedly but one or two S1150 boards too). Nvidia GTX10x0 cards don't seem to have this issue, zero problems here running GTX1050/60/70 on a wide range of S1150 and even S1156 boards.

I'm not saying it definitely is, but I'd see if I could test the card out in a newer machine first before dismissing it as faulty. If you say where you are, someone here might help. It would be literally a 10 minute job to establish if the RX480 was faulty in a newer, ideally Skylake machine. The other option I'd recommend would be to return it and get a GTX1060 6GB instead, as these cards don't have the same compatiability issues that affect the RX cards on older chipsets.

I spent a lot of time researching on what card to buy and to run into this problem is quite frustrating. My monitor is freesync so this is why I went with a AMD card. Some people are starting to say that I can forget about running DOOM at Ultra settings yet the game shows 100+ fps at High settings.

In relation to returning the card is that possible as I have broken the seal? Would they not say that I should have been aware of any incompatibility issues.

Its been 10 years or so since I went near PC gaming but I am already reminded why I didnt invest previously. I know when i get it sorted it will be worth it as I have experienced 30 seconds of DOOM and it looked amazing when compared to my old R9 270

Knocking it on the head for the moment but will try some things mentioned that have not already been tried. My whole day yesterday was spent trying to fix this and till the early hours of the morning (3:30am)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You still didn't give your location. Maybe someone nearby could test out the graphics card in their system.

Some how I have to agree with Terror and say it may be incompatible for some reason. Once it is tested in someones system and all is fine then we have narrowed down the possibilities of what is wrong.

Oh sorry :) I am living near South Circular Road so about 15 minute walk into City Center. Have a car so can drive to anywhere in Dublin. Good thinking. At least if it is a faulty card then I can return it. Cheers guys

Well you are no where near me or Terror but you are in a location that there is a lot of users from afaik. Hopefully one of them pipe up and offer to test the card for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Well you are no where near me or Terror but you are in a location that there is a lot of users from afaik. Hopefully one of them pipe up and offer to test the card for you.

Im in Sandyford, but running an even older socket (1155), so if there are issues with older boards I may not be able to confirm if the card is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

DarraghR wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time researching on what card to buy and to run into this problem is quite frustrating. My monitor is freesync so this is why I went with a AMD card. Some people are starting to say that I can forget about running DOOM at Ultra settings yet the game shows 100+ fps at High settings.

In relation to returning the card is that possible as I have broken the seal? Would they not say that I should have been aware of any incompatibility issues.

Its been 10 years or so since I went near PC gaming but I am already reminded why I didnt invest previously. I know when i get it sorted it will be worth it as I have experienced 30 seconds of DOOM and it looked amazing when compared to my old R9 270

Knocking it on the head for the moment but will try some things mentioned that have not already been tried. My whole day yesterday was spent trying to fix this and till the early hours of the morning (3:30am)

For what it's worth I get steady 110fps on Ultra in Vulkan mode with an RX480 and an i3-6300, so the card itself is well able for it, unless of course it's faulty.

Is your Power Limit set to +50 in the ReLive control panel?
    Is your computer power plan set to 'Performance'?

I changed these settings and still crashing like mad :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is your Power Limit set to +50 in the ReLive control panel?
    Is your computer power plan set to 'Performance'?

I changed these settings and still crashing like mad :/

Did you set these back to +0?

Yes why?

Ok so I just uninstalled every single AMD driver and software. Then I ran Dead Space 2 at max settings without drivers installed. It didnt crash at all. Would this indicate that it is software related and nothing to do with a faulty card or under powered power supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes why?

Ok so I just uninstalled every single AMD driver and software. Then I ran Dead Space 2 at max settings without drivers installed. It didnt crash at all. Would this indicate that it is software related and nothing to do with a faulty card or under powered power supply?

I'd say so, try installing earlier drivers (like 1-2 revisions back) and see if it runs fine.
    Also make sure to reboot after every driver install ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes why?

Its a tough sell, drivers utilise the card properly. There could be a faulty part of your ram on the card that's only hit with drivers, then without.

If you can game fine with the other card, but swap in the 480 and hit Blue screens constantly, then its most likely a failure with the card.

I dont get that blue screen anymore. Just Every game crashes after a few seconds. I ran Star Wars Battlefront in a windowed mode on Ultra settings and it seemed fine for the most part. Once I went to full screen it crashed. Yet Dead Space 2 will not make it past the start screen ...

I have taken 2 screenshots from GPU-Z. Maybe someone can tell me if they can see anything abnormal

image.png

image.png

So looks like everything is working alright now. Played DOOM on Ultra for about 20 minutes and GTA 5 for a half hour with no crashing.

What I did was:

1. Uninstalled with AMD Clean Up Utility
    2. Uninstalled with DDU
    3. Uninstalled my Avira Anti Virus
    4. Removed protective cover on desktop
    5. Installed the latest AMD drivers

Not too sure which one solved the issue but I would guess uninstalling old drivers with AMD Clean Up and DDU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Daragh I just spotted this thread.

I had a very similar problem to you. Except I would have a black screen instead of a blue screen. Turns out it was the MOBO needing replacing.

Hopefully you have the issue solved but if it happens again it might be worth investigating.

Everything in working order the past 4 days. Must have been a driver issue. Im guessing using both AMD Clean Up Utility and DDU cleared any old driver files. Cheers guys

After installing a new SSD drive my problem is back again. Uninstalling all drivers with AMD Clean Up Utility and DDU has not worked ...

Not good. Did you do a clean install of windows on the new SSD?

Yes I formatted the SSD and used a usb made with Windows Media Creation Tool to reinstall Windows 10. Had to unplug my old HDD to do this as it would not let me otherwise. Could it have something to do with my old HDD?

Also under Sapphire TRIXX my VRM temperature looks higher than it did before

• Advertisement

Anything look abnormal to anyone?

Untitled.jpg

Advertisement