Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RX 480 8GB upgrade problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Use MSI Afterburner or AMD Wattman (it's in the software that comes with the drivers) to underclock your card to 1200mhz core and set a target temperature of 50c or manually set fans to high. See how that helps initially to rule out instability or overheating.

edit - or Trixx.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

That shouldn't be necessary. Also power consumption would not be the cause as I have the old HDD disconnected. I guarantee it is a driver issue again. Just dont know what to do this time as my previous method of uninstalling drivers with both DDU and AMD Clean Up Utility wont work.

I never said anything about power consumption. Sometimes a card will be unstable if the core speed is too high. It shouldn't be the case with that model, but it does happen on occassion. Some cards also hard-lock up or driver crash when temperatures get to what's usually considered a safe level due to some issue with vrm overheating or something.

Underclocking the core and manually setting fan speed to say 80% at once (even 100% if the card isn't intolerably loud), then running games and seeing what happens, rules out either possability simultaneously if it still crashes. It's not a permanent solution, it's about ruling out what could be wrong.

At that point, if you pass both with the same situation, the issue is either drivers (seems unlikely if you've already tried different sets of drivers with the same issue) or some sort of difficult to diagnose compatiability problem between the card and board. RX cards do have issues with some older boards, I've personally had that problem a lot.

Sorry I just meant that the power is another one to cancel out not that you were saying it could be the power.

I will give the underclocking and fan speed a go once it does not effect my warrenty.

Before I fitted the SSD I had the same problem with my HDD but solved it so it cant be compatibility with the gpu and board.

Everything is backed up so I wonder should I do another wipe and reinstall of Windows 10.

What about all the drivers for my computer. Do I install every single one of them again? There is a NVIDIA driver listed but it was an AMD card in my computer...

Untitled.jpg

• Advertisement

You don't need any of those apart from chipset driver, Win10 should automatically install everything you need once you're connected to the internet. In fact, Win10 automatically installs Nvidia/AMD drivers as well now.

Underclocking or setting fan speeds won't void your warranty.

Intel Graphics Driver for Haswell will not install.

Its says "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

You don't need that driver.

I reduced the GPU Clock and Memory Clock by quite a bit. I ran Battlegrounds and it did not crash. Check out the screen shots I took in game

20170405_185707.jpg

20170405_185737.jpg

20170405_190328.jpg

The GPU climbed pretty rapidly. I guess the problem is solved but I would like to get the most out of my graphics card. It ran fine previously without any under clocking so why not now

You need a more aggressive fan profile. 73c at an underclocked core is very high - what was happening was plain overheating. Possibly your PC was never designed to have a higher end card in it, and doesn't have adequate airflow. This is a common profile in OEM machines.

I would create a custom fan profile, in your pictures it's at a fairly high 73c despite the lower core clock but the fan is only at 27%.

• Advertisement

Would increasing my fan speed but leaving everything else at default keep my warranty intact?

My PC is a gaming machine and is not ridiculously old. I still do not understand why it ran fine before without any tinkering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Your warranty is not affected by your fan speeds, no.
    I'm assuming this is our 1st pc?

Google is always your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Just skimmed the thread, but is it possible the heatsink was removed from the GPU at some time?
    Maybe the thermal paste is poorly applied or a issue with a thermal pad on the VRAM???

I'm just guessing but it sounds to me like high VRAM temps are causing issues.
    Have you GPU-Z and monitored VRAM temps under load (they are at the bottom of the Sensors tab).

Also, there's a new driver out yesterday from AMD, Version 17.4.1 - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

Its only a new card and never touched the heatsink.

All up to date with the newest drivers. Is it possibly that some driver is causing the high VRAM temps?

17761348_10155993885309167_1640563746_o.png17797636_10155993885539167_783342536_o.png17797882_10155993885789167_758205679_o.jpg17820192_10155993885504167_1220318863_o.png
    17820301_10155993885284167_1850789348_o_1.png17820301_10155993885284167_1850789348_o.png17820323_10155993885689167_1274501320_o.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@DarraghR
    Sounds to me like you have a bad card, though it's strange that it was working for the past 3 months.

Drivers wouldn't cause overheating - that's down to bad thermal design on the VRMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

DarraghR wrote: »
    Its only a new card and never touched the heatsink.
    All up to date with the newest drivers. Is it possibly that some driver is causing the high VRAM temps?

Ahh, GPUZ doesn't show your VRAM temps but GPU temp looks good.
    Maybe try HWiNFO - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Found a Reddit post here that suggest RX 480 users should check their VRAM temps - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4v4zz1/have_any_of_you_checked_your_rx_480_vrms_temp/
    At least if the VRAM temps look OK, it'll eliminate temperature as being the issue.

Btw, are you using AMD Wattman? Another redditor suggested that it caused crashs.
    To remove it they suggested use DDU then reinstall driver with custom settings and only tick display adapter and HDMI audio.
    Worth a try.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Ahh, GPUZ doesn't show your VRAM temps but GPU temp looks good.
    Maybe try HWiNFO - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Found a Reddit post here that suggest RX 480 users should check their VRAM temps - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4v4zz1/have_any_of_you_checked_your_rx_480_vrms_temp/
    At least if the VRAM temps look OK, it'll eliminate temperature as being the issue.

Btw, are you using AMD Wattman? Another redditor suggested that it caused crashs.
    To remove it they suggested use DDU then reinstall driver with custom settings and only tick display adapter and HDMI audio.
    Worth a try.

Wow I actually totally forgot about Wattman causing issues for other people. Cheers this could be the solution. Will have a look when I get home

Here are my HWiNFO results whilst on the desktop

sssss.jpg

Not installing Wattman didnt work :/

I can run games if my fans are cranked up to 80% with slight underclocks to the gpu and memory clock. None of this was necessary before :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If  your card is only 3 months old, start the RMA process. Who did you buy from?
    It would be a shame to let it be for another while and let your warranty run out. If it happens with the replacement card then your issue is bigger.

I got it form Elara.ie

The problem is I have already sold my previous card and I do some freelance work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Ask them how long it takes to complete a RMA and judge it from there. Hope you get it sorted.

Any ideas why Battlegrounds and Counter-Strike GO crash straight away but DOOM runs at ultra settings for 5 minutes then crashes. Pretty inconsistent considering Counter Strike GO is a much older game

Instead of playing around, it's obvious something is wrong in your build. It's seems like the graphics card. Can you test it with another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

RossieMan wrote: »
    Instead of playing around, it's obvious something is wrong in your build. It's seems like the graphics card. Can you test it with another one?

I agree you have had this problem a long time. I feel bad for you there is nothing worse than when a problem arises and you cannot figure out what it is.

As RossieMan said try the graphics card in another PC.

Its a driver / software issue. The card does work in other computers. This problem only arose again after I installed Windows 10 on my new SSD.

Before I go sending my card back which may be a waste of time if it is software related I will wipe everything and do a clean install.

What is the best way to go about this? How should I format my SSD and HDD? I might leave my HDD disconnected for the moment. Should drivers, BIOS and any important system software be installed in any particular order?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BIOS is on motherboard, not your drives. You can update it now, before wiping drives (backup your important documents first!)

Cant find any updates for my mobo MS-7826. There is a Windows 8.1 driver on the HP site but I am using Windows 10

So should my graphics card drivers be the very last thing I install?

It shouldn't make any difference.

So I reduced my GPU frequency to 1165 Mhz max in WattMan and Battlegrounds has not crashed once

1_RAN.jpg

When I increased it to 1205 it did crash. The card can run at 1342 so what might be causing this limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

DarraghR wrote: »
    So I reduced my GPU frequency to 1165 Mhz max in WattMan and Battlegrounds has not crashed once

When I increased it to 1205 it did crash. The card can run at 1342 so what might be causing this limit?

Is your PSU ok?

Advertisement