Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RX 480 8GB upgrade problems

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Those CPU temps -- CORE #2 79ºC @ 60% Load?? This is problem IMO, When you got game running on ultra those temps gonna jump and auto shut down pc...

Do you have stock cooling?? Or have you OC'd on stock??

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

After playing GTA V on ultra, Battlegrounds on medium and The Witcher 3 on ultra for a long period of time at 60 fps+ my system has not crashed once and temps are hitting around 60C

My power supply is a 500 W AC power adapter. Someone mentioned before that my previous card (R9 270) drew more power. Unless adding a SSD is now maxing out the power? Are there drivers for power supplies?

My cooling is just stock. To be honest my desktop is quite a small unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

have you overclocked anything? what brand of PSU do you have?

we really arent getting enough information from you to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The power limitation could be a few things:
    GPU is faulty
    PSU is faulty
    Mobo PCIE is lacklustre

The way to know for sure is to give the card to somebody else with a completely different rig and test it with Furmark. 30 mins should rule the GPU in or out. Then you can look at the rest of the system if applicable.

If the 270 was pulling 60W from the PCIE slot and the 480 is pulling 90W that could easily crash the system but you can't measure those values.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

https://communities.intel.com/thread/104967

Those temps are insane imho I had oc'd 2600k and rarely ran over 50• c probably could have pushed more but it did heat my room too much as it was. I remember some chips used to have a max thermal operating temp of 93•c very had to find that info on a phone.

I'd bet your pc auto shutdown at about 85•c I'd sort cooling before trying anything else. I think gfx cards can op at higher temps 120•c iirc

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    have you overclocked anything? what brand of PSU do you have?

we really arent getting enough information from you to help.

Sorry no overclocking

746177-001 HP 500W 24Pin Desktop Power Supply Unit - Delta DPS-500AB-15 A

http://www.ebay.ie/itm...d:g:16QAAOSwZQxW2j1K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

DarraghR wrote: »
    Sorry no overclocking

746177-001 HP 500W 24Pin Desktop Power Supply Unit - Delta DPS-500AB-15 A

http://www.ebay.ie/itm...d:g:16QAAOSwZQxW2j1K

Junk imo - get a decent branded & rated one. It's a part of a pc many will overlook, but hugely important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Inviere wrote: »
    Junk imo - get a decent branded & rated one. It's a part of a pc many will overlook, but hugely important.

It's not a junk supply, most OEM supplies are decent in machines like this as they're designed to power cards that would have been more power hungry than a RX480 (eg 280X, HD7950/70, etc).

EDE has it right with the narrowing down though given the PSU supplied your previously more power hungry card fine, it's not likely to be that.

It was suggested way back in the thread for you to underclock the core slightly as I suspected this would work - and it has. Probably not a faulty card, probably something to do with the board as ED E suggested.

I had the exact same problem with an RX480 also, at stock clocks it was hard locking up but underclocking core by 100mhz or so sorted it. I just returned it and got a GTX1060 instead as they don't have the issues that RX cards have on some (mostly older) chipsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's not a junk supply, most OEM supplies are decent in machines like this as they're designed to power cards that would have been more power hungry than a RX480 (eg 280X, HD7950/70, etc).

So it seems, on first glance I thought they were a no-name Chinese jobbie...seems they do OEM's for some of the bigger/better names,

The card ran at full speed for a month until I changed too an SSD and reinstalled Windows 10. Its either drivers or my SSD is reading the game data too quickly. I suppose I could just reinstall on my HDD but im not arsed at this stage. So much time wasted

• Advertisement

Considering buying a new power supply. Will be a bit disappointing if thats not the problem. How do I know if my motherboard will be compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus, sorry to hear your still having this problem. I thought it would be sorted by now...

Jesus, sorry to hear your still having this problem. I thought it would be sorted by now...

Well I undercooked it to 1165mhz but would like to run it at 1340

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Run WhoCrashed. Maybe the report can shed some light, too. Also have you tried running a different windows? That looks like a W10 error screen. If you can run the same games on something like W7 or Linux then you can isolate it's a driver issue and not faulty card/PSU etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

DarraghR wrote: »
    After playing GTA V on ultra, Battlegrounds on medium and The Witcher 3 on ultra for a long period of time at 60 fps+ my system has not crashed once and temps are hitting around 60C

My power supply is a 500 W AC power adapter. Someone mentioned before that my previous card (R9 270) drew more power. Unless adding a SSD is now maxing out the power? Are there drivers for power supplies?

My cooling is just stock. To be honest my desktop is quite a small unit.

is it possible that the added SSD and cables is obstructing airflow through the case? Is it in front of a vent or anything?

Run WhoCrashed. Maybe the report can shed some light, too. Also have you tried running a different windows? That looks like a W10 error screen. If you can run the same games on something like W7 or Linux then you can isolate it's a driver issue and not faulty card/PSU etc.

I got WhoCrashed but how do I use it? Can't find any log after the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lu Tze wrote: »
    is it possible that the added SSD and cables is obstructing airflow through the case? Is it in front of a vent or anything?

Cables shouldn't affect airflow at all; LTT did a video on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If it was me, I would have chucked the PC on adverts and built an actual gaming PC about 6 months ago. Or RMA'd the GPU.

I honestly don't know why you'd spend so long trying to fix this.

I don't really want to spend money on something I don't need. High and Ultra settings at 60fps+ is perfect just want my GPU running at top speed.

Last night I had Battlegrounds running and at the same time I opened YouTube which resulted in a crash even though the GPU was underclocked. Would this be another sign of power supply not being strong enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I still don't understand why you haven't RMA'd the GPU though. Like you're over 6 months from the initial fault time. Send the damn thing back and get it replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement