Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building home in Ireland but I'm Polish

• 01-02-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,
    Does anyone here can help me out. After 2 years of looking for perfect house to buy we are just giving up-our mortgage approval expired twice already and we still renting atm:/
    We were in point that we could buy anything just to have our own one. Yeah I know pretty depressing.
    We want to have small cottage house somewhere in Co.Meath not too far from Ashbourne around 15 km with just little bit of land and possibility to extend it in future.
    Can anyone tell me how it is with building own one. Mostly im wondering if there will be any restrictions to foreign getting land. I know there are some local needs. Just if it is possible to build a house in Ireland if I'm EU citizen?I heard it's very hard😔
    Thanks so much for all reply

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Martheen wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Does anyone here can help me out. After 2 years of looking for perfect house to buy we are just giving up-our mortgage approval expired twice already and we still renting atm:/
    We were in point that we could buy anything just to have our own one. Yeah I know pretty depressing.
    We want to have small cottage house somewhere in Co.Meath not too far from Ashbourne around 15 km with just little bit of land and possibility to extend it in future.
    Can anyone tell me how it is with building own one. Mostly im wondering if there will be any restrictions to foreign getting land. I know there are some local needs. Just if it is possible to build a house in Ireland if I'm EU citizen?I heard it's very hard😔
    Thanks so much for all reply

Meath County Council is one of the hardest Planning Sections to satisfy in the country in my opinion, especially for a new build one off home.

Unless you can satisfy the local needs criteria, then I wouldn't even bother looking to build yourself. I would look for older cottages with th Evie's to extending and/ore refurbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Martheen

kceire wrote: »
    Meath County Council is one of the hardest Planning Sections to satisfy in the country in my opinion, especially for a new build one off home.

Unless you can satisfy the local needs criteria, then I wouldn't even bother looking to build yourself. I would look for older cottages with th Evie's to extending and/ore refurbing.

Hi,
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    We have been in outbidding process already for 4 cottages and unfortunately the prices rises so high that we could build new homes for that money.

Both myself and my partner have Irish friends which are builders and we also have an architect which would help us to get planning permission as he is well know in Co. Meath area.
    Just problem with a site. Is it worth for us to even look or they just for local people?
    What can define local needs?
    Are they some certain areas which are reserved only for Irish Citizens?
    What about Co. Dublin is also near Ashbourne?
    All replies welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

What kceire says is right - pretty much any rural area that's within commuting distance of Dublin has rules to restrict planning permissions to people who genuinely need to live in that rural area. This is to prevent the urban sprawl of people commuting to Dublin or whatever large town is nearby.

It has nothing to do with your nationality - a person from Wexford or Kerry would have the same chance as a person from Warsaw or Krakow .... unfortunately this is a very low chance unless there is some specific reason you need to live there.

Buying land is no problem - getting permission to build a house on it is the difficulty!

If you do not need to live near Dublin there are lots of rural areas in the Midlands, West, North, etc where populations are declining and they look favourably on people wanting to build ... these areas though are usually quite far from major urban centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

If you know some local engineers, ask them to have preplanning meetings with the planning board to see where the council will allow you to build.

That will tell you where is available and what is zoned.

Advertisement