Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway from Dublin

Options
  • 01-02-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

So, I am at a bit of a crossroads in my life. I've lived outside Ireland since 2011 and have just returned. I think the place I could most easily get a job is Galway due to all the manufacturing companies based there, but just wanted the good people of the Galway forum to remind me what a nice place it is! :)

I'm a 29 year old woman, and would have friends of friends living there, but would basically be starting over from scratch. Is there much going on in terms of meet up groups, sports clubs? Running, cycling, triathlon, swimming, netball teams etc? I'm guessing that there is, I'm just wary of starting over somewhere new again, I'm from Dublin and ideally would stay here, but Galway has always appealed too. It is small compared to Dublin, would it be difficult to start over there when you're not a fresh graduate or in college, and totally new to the city? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There so much going on in Galway- you won't be bored. Galway triathlon club is a great place to start- lots of young ladies in that club, really friendly (I know some of them through work) and they'll tell you about other cycling groups etc.
    For running Galway City Harriers are a popular club- again there's a mix of ages and options for all levels.
    I moved to Galway in my early 30s and love it. I could be out doing something every night if I had the energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of blow-ins in all age groups. And lots to do.

Just be aware that good jobs tend to be tightly held, and you're competing with all the locals who've done their ten years away and now want to move close to home again. So don't assume it will be easy to get work.

And traffic is painful, so look to live on the same side of the river as you work.

I moved from Dublin to Galway in 2015
    Firstly, it was very difficult to get work. I was lucky, and had a job I was happy with in Dublin, and only moved after getting a contract offer in Galway
    Secondly, the traffic/public transport is horrible. You get used to it, but be prepared for sitting in traffic (generally)
    Thirdly, it is much wetter and duller (weather wise) here than in Dublin. Again, you get used to it. I work with people from all over the world, and no one cares about the weather. You buy a good jacket, and get on with it. It just takes a little bit of getting used to

They are the negatives.

Now for some positive news.

Galway is so much more relaxed than Dublin.
    It's a friendlier place
    Due to it's size, it's easy to meet people
    When the weather is good, it is an unbelievable experience
    Every aspect of social life is cheaper than Dublin (I was in Galway on Friday night, and got three pints and a glass of Guinness for around €15. I was in Dublin on Saturday night, and 1 pint of Peroni and a coke cost me €9)
    It's quite beautiful
    So many festivals during the summer

They're some of the main points I can think of at the moment, but just to let you know, I'm so happy I moved from Dublin down to Galway. I've a much happier life since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I moved here for college in 2012 from Dublin. Apart from a few months when I was unemployed, I've never gone back to Dublin, and I don't want to. I can't imagine not being beside the coast, or living somewhere so much less walkable. Keep an eye out, and don't move down unless you've got a job and a place to live though, because the cost of housing is ridiculous (although cheaper than Dublin), and it can be hard to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi op I'm a local who moved back from Dublin a few years ago. Galway has plenty going on in the areas you pointed out there are
    Loads of meet up groups, Galway city harriers organise runs 4 or 5 times a week. The Galway triathlon club is very active there is also a few swimming clubs as well. During the summer months you certainly won't find it difficult to find a festival on starting at easter with the Galway food festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 TracyFlick

Thanks so much for the replies! I wouldn't move until I have a job secured, I'm staying with my family in Dublin at the moment. Being by the sea, and the compactness of it appeals hugely, plus it's so much more affordable than Dublin.

My friends keep telling me to try London for jobs but I honestly think I'd prefer Galway at this stage of my life, I've visited them loads in London and the idea of living there is exhausting. Not that I'm in any way old but want something more relaxed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 l.o.x.y

I'm in a very similar position to you and thinking along the same lines. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in that position. I'm 26 and moving back home soon but thinking Galway would be a much nicer life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Galway is so underrated. I moved her, from the UK, many years ago. I planned to stay for 6 months. It's a fabulous place & so friendly. The key is that the University is in the town so there is a buzz from the students in the Winter & the tourists in the summer.

I love out of town, by the sea. I can walk my dogs on a deserted beach & then be in town in under 30 mins. There are very few places left in the World where you can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If I hadn't lived here my whole life, I'd have moved after reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TracyFlick wrote: »
    So, I am at a bit of a crossroads in my life. I've lived outside Ireland since 2011 and have just returned. I think the place I could most easily get a job is Galway due to all the manufacturing companies based there, but just wanted the good people of the Galway forum to remind me what a nice place it is! :)

I'm a 29 year old woman, and would have friends of friends living there, but would basically be starting over from scratch. Is there much going on in terms of meet up groups, sports clubs? Running, cycling, triathlon, swimming, netball teams etc? I'm guessing that there is, I'm just wary of starting over somewhere new again, I'm from Dublin and ideally would stay here, but Galway has always appealed too. It is small compared to Dublin, would it be difficult to start over there when you're not a fresh graduate or in college, and totally new to the city? :o

Galway is very small compared to Dublin but still very cosmopolitan. You'll meet people from all over the world. Hard to describe really. Galway is not a big city in size but somehow seems bigger than it actually is once you live there. Always something going on.

From beginning of May to end of September nowhere better in the country to be than Galway. Winters can be tough as it's very exposed to Atlantic wind and rain although last winter was very mild.

Plus if you're from Dublin you can be back home on the train in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If I hadn't lived here my whole life, I'd have moved after reading this thread.

In my neck of the woods it's the locals that don't notice or appreciate it. The reason that I can walk for miles along a deserted coastline is because none of the locals walk there. They are happier marching along the Prom or the main road.

Is it easy to find Irish lessons in Galway? Like a class a week kind of thing? I'm thinking of relearning what I've lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

https://www.arasnangael.ie/information
    Aras na nGael on Dominic Street do Irish language classes from beginners upwards. They also have Irish conversation social nights. Also NUI galway do adult courses (although these might not be for complete beginners).
    I've done classes in local primary schools too but these are aimed at parents of children in the school.

Thanks very much I'll look into it. Have to find work in Galway first!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

There are lots of Meet Up groups in Galway to cater for most interests/hobbies

• Registered Users Posts: 1 byrnensorg

I lived quite a few years in Galway but university and other commitments took me away. Now I have the chance to move back and I am looking forward to it. The public transport is lousy but compared to the way it was when I left at least it doesn't break down as much. There's a lot less Clifden buses though then there was.

Anyway, hope everyone finds there feet there.

Advertisement