Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic from Ballincollig to Cork City in the Morning

Options
  • 02-02-2017 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for advice from any 9 to 5ers who work in the city and must drive from Ballincollig to be at work for 9am. I'll be going by the bypass and in the South Link Rd. Obviously traffic will be v busy at that time so wondering what time I'd need to leave to be safely there in time. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

angeline wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for advice from any 9 to 5ers who work in the city and must drive from Ballincollig to be at work for 9am. I'll be going by the bypass and in the South Link Rd. Obviously traffic will be v busy at that time so wondering what time I'd need to leave to be safely there in time. Thanks in advance.

All depends on where you'll be parking.
    Whether or not the schools are on /off

Best to do a trial run some morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

pa990 wrote: »
    All depends on where you'll be parking.
    Whether or not the schools are on /off

Best to do a trial run some morning.

I have parking where I will be working. I'm asking on the basis that schools are on, and only what the traffic will be like to the Kinsale Rd Roundabout and then the South Link Rd if anyone has experience of these roads between 8am and 9am. Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I would leave 10-15 minutes early than 8, always busy in my experience , you can judge it then yourself when you've done a few mornings .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tiger's back lads

Tiger's back lads

Sorry but what are you referring to??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Where are you going to? When I lived in Bishopstown I either left about 7:45 to be at work for 8, 2 km away, otherwise I used to leave after 9 for a 5 minute trip.
    Leaving between 8 and 9 was pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Sorry but what are you referring to??

Celtic tiger. That's the cause of the traffic having gone as bad as it is.

Where are you going to? When I lived in Bishopstown I either left about 7:45 to be at work for 8, 2 km away, otherwise I used to leave after 9 for a 5 minute trip.
    Leaving between 8 and 9 was pointless.

Near the South Mall. Considering going in the Straight Road and up the Mardyke as it might be better than South Link Rd.

Near the South Mall. Considering going in the Straight Road and up the Mardyke as it might be better than South Link Rd.

Fastest way, down Curraheen Road before 8, up to Wilton, onto Glasheen Road, down Bandon Road, right onto Green st, left and left again, right onto Evergreen Road and next left down onto George's Quay, est Viola !

Jaysus never realised it would be over an hour. Sounds like leaving at 5 past 9 would be a better plan if I could start at half 9 instead!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

traffic moves along ok on Carrigrohane road>western road> Mardyke.
    Avoid MFR, the schools (catherines and mt mercy) can be a mare

traffic moves along ok on Carrigrohane road>western road> Mardyke.
    Avoid MFR, the schools (catherines and mt mercy) can be a mare

Excuse my ignorance, not from Cork!! But where is MFR. Cheers. So u reckon I'd move handy enough from Carrigrohane to South Mall. Might do a trial run.

Excuse my ignorance, not from Cork!! But where is MFR. Cheers. So u reckon I'd move handy enough from Carrigrohane to South Mall. Might do a trial run.

Ahhh!!! The Model Farm Road!!! No won't be going that way at all. Thanks very much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Once you get past the traffic in the village (if you'll be driving through the village that is) and get past the roundabout you'd be ok I'd say.

Once you get past the traffic in the village (if you'll be driving through the village that is) and get past the roundabout you'd be ok I'd say.

The Straight is choked every morning inbound between 8 and 9.

Oh no, really? I was counting on that moving along at a reasonable pace. No easy way so it seems! Thanks anyway for the info.

Ah it moves, woudnt call it choked! (try living in Douglas!)
    Slow from Poulavone roundabout as far as the lights under the castle (does that cross road have a name?)

Slow from Poulavone roundabout as far as the lights under the castle (does that cross road have a name?)

Don't know the lights at the Castle. So you reckon I'd be ok going via the Straight Rd to near South Mall. I'll make sure to avoid all of the lights in Ballincollig. I feel this would be a better bet than the Bypass, Kinsale Rd Roundabout and in South Link Rd. Would imagine there would be huge tailbacks there bt 8 and 9.

not sure where about in Ballincollig you are
    Another option is via the Ballincollig link road to old clash road onto MFR and down Inchigaggin onto straight road ( be tricky turning right here though)

you could always buy a bike!

not sure where about in Ballincollig you are
    Another option is via the Ballincollig link road to old clash road onto MFR and down Inchigaggin onto straight road ( be tricky turning right here though)

you could always buy a bike!

I'm thinking a helicopter might be helpful!

• Advertisement

Once you get past the lights its grand.

It has got a lot worse of late and can pretty slow. Problem with that part of town is 3 major employers in close proximity.
    The Straight in the morning is largely used by people trying to get up the north side or to UCC.
    UCC and PBC cause huge snarl ups for people heading in along Western Road.

It has got a lot worse of late and can pretty slow. Problem with that part of town is 3 major employers in close proximity.
    Straight in the morning is largely used by people trying to get up the north side or to UCC.
    UCC and PBC cause huge snarl ups for people heading in along Western Road.

Sure has. The works in Sundayswell arent helping going into town.

its even worse by UCC heading East! For some reason. Traffic heading up Wilton road from Victoria/Dennehys has ground to a halt.

but didnt you hear, the boom is back, we're all back eating breakfast rolls and driving huge 4x4s!

but didnt you hear, the boom is back, we're all back eating breakfast rolls and driving huge 4x4s!

All courtesy of PCP of course, the next sub prime nightmare about to hit this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

All courtesy of PCP of course, the next sub prime nightmare about to hit this country.

PCB, MFR and PBC. Calm down ffs.

OP, time for some test runs, personally I'd prefer the straight road, simple as.

11214 wrote: »
    PCB, MFR and PBC. Calm down ffs.

OP, time for some test runs, personally I'd prefer the straight road, simple as.

"FFS"?
    Jaysis, cool your jets fiend/beor!
    the grown ups are having a chat

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

And what did we learn from the last crisis? Take on as much debt as you possibly can and stop paying it back when the **** hits the fan...

Only those who make an effort to pay their debt back will suffer.

There is absolutely no comparison between PCP and subprime. Absolute worst case scenario with PCP is you hand the car back and walk away. It's not in any way compatible with subprime and is actually a very good way to finance a car.

We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Look at Google Maps tomorrow morning and turn on love traffic and you should be able to see the areas that are gridlocked.

Advertisement