Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any montessori / creche in Ireland with a strict sick policy?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Everywhere I look I see sick children. Everywhere!!! My daughter is not it in creche/montessori yet because I am worried about sending her in during winter. She has been totally healthy thus far and I would like to hold out until summer. So we are looking for a place to send her but when I call and ask about sick policy I get replies like: "yes we allow the children in sick if they have common flu or a cold but if they are on antibiotics we ask them to stay home for 24 hours because we want them to build their defenses up". This is just crazy to me. Please can someone else share their experiences. Do parents not insist on a strict sick policy before sending there children in? How do other parents feel/deal with these things? I can only speak about the area in which I live and I have a feeling that people think that it is normal that kids are sick right throughout winter because I don't see healthy kids that often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

armabelle wrote: »
    Everywhere I look I see sick children. Everywhere!!! My daughter is not it in creche/montessori yet because I am worried about sending her in during winter. She has been totally healthy thus far and I would like to hold out until summer. So we are looking for a place to send her but when I call and ask about sick policy I get replies like: "yes we allow the children in sick if they have common flu or a cold but if they are on antibiotics we ask them to stay home for 24 hours because we want them to build their defenses up". This is just crazy to me. Please can someone else share their experiences. Do parents not insist on a strict sick policy before sending there children in? How do other parents feel/deal with these things? I can only speak about the area in which I live and I have a feeling that people think that it is normal that kids are sick right throughout winter because I don't see healthy kids that often.

really?

How else do you think her immune system is going to develop? It's all part and parcel of it I'm afraid.

In an odd way - it's a healthy thing for children to be ill. It helps their immune system in the long run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We found that early exposure to creche bugs built up a good immune system in our eldest, but the younger one who missed out on creche is much more susceptible to colds and bugs. Not a scientific study, but we would have no concerns as long as a responsible policy is carried out by the creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

lawred2 wrote: »
    really?

How else do you think her immune system is going to develop? It's all part and parcel of it I'm afraid.

In an odd way - it's a healthy thing for children to be ill. It helps their immune system in the long run.

I must be crazy not to want my children to be sick then. Immunity or not I am not having my daughter on antibiotics again and sick for 3 weeks. I must be a weird parent.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    We found that early exposure to creche bugs built up a good immune system in our eldest, but the younger one who missed out on creche is much more susceptible to colds and bugs. Not a scientific study, but we would have no concerns as long as a responsible policy is carried out by the creche.

Could you define "responsible "please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I must be crazy not to want my children to be sick then. Immunity or not I am not having my daughter on antibiotics again and sick for 3 weeks. I must be a weird parent.

How often are kids on antibiotics?

• Advertisement

Not crazy at all.

But maybe a little unrealistic and overprotective.

Most illnesses are viral, short lived and require no medical treatment. I'd question a doctor routinely prescribing antibiotics to the same child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You can get it out of the way now or you can do it when they go to playschool/school instead. Either way they need to build their immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think illness depends on the child. Neither of mine have had an antibiotic or anything more serious than the usual vomiting bug or colds the odd time. We've given them the chicken pox vaccine and the Men B jabs so at least we're not worrying about those illnesses. They've gone through montessori without loads of illnesses too, even though i heard so many dire warnings. Their school doesn't accept children when they're sick and parents have been called to collect children who've been dropped off with claims they're fine when they have a temperature. Maybe this will change with primary school, but I can't really see how you can avoid exposing them to others.

eeguy wrote: »
    How often are kids on antibiotics?

In Ireland? too many.

mloc123 wrote: »
    You can get it out of the way now or you can do it when they go to playschool/school instead. Either way they need to build their immune system.

so why not take them to other regions too so they can pick up other diseases too. that way they can be even more immune? and when the virus and bacteria change next season, what good is that? Why do you think you get flu shots annually?

• Advertisement

They are definitely not going to school in Ireland and even if they were, do you think that it will be the same "it"? Do you think the diseases will be the same?

Maybe you should go speak to a qualified health professional. It doesn't seem like you're interested in any advice that doesn't involve keeping children in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭nikkisclearout

They are definitely not going to school in Ireland and even if they were, do you think that it will be the same "it"? Do you think the diseases will be the same?

I'm not sure what you wanted from this thread? you asked a question and parents with experience of your question answered you and your not happy with their replies.

Its very unrealistic to expect your child not to become ill at all and keeping them home from creche/Montessori is not the answer. If your doctor keeps giving your child antibiotics unnecessarily then it's the doctor you need to worry about. Is your child susceptible to illness already? if so creche wont make a huge difference then.

also your comment "they are definitely not going to school in Ireland" comes across as very rude and condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Why do you think you get flu shots annually?

only pregnant women, old people and at risk groups need to get the flu jab because they have a higher susceptibility and it can do more damage.  healthy kids dont need the flu jab.

I'm not sure what you wanted from this thread? you asked a question and parents with experience of your question answered you and your not happy with their replies.

Its very unrealistic to expect your child not to become ill at all and keeping them home from creche/Montessori is not the answer. If your doctor keeps giving your child antibiotics unnecessarily then it's the doctor you need to worry about. Is your child susceptible to illness already? if so creche wont make a huge difference then.

also your comment "they are definitely not going to school in Ireland" comes across as very rude and condescending.

I like the replies. Keep em coming

and don't be so sensitive, must I send them to school in Ireland so your feelings will not be hurt?

and don't be so sensitive, must I send them to school in Ireland so your feelings will not be hurt?

Maybe you are sat at home and this is all you have to entertain you but some of us are working and took the time out of our day to be helpful and answer your question. obviously send your children to school where ever you like but Ireland seems to be good enough for you at the moment so i don't understand why you would be so against them going to school here? out of curiosity where will you send them to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Why don't you tell us why your child getting minor illnesses is such a bad thing and maybe people can help a little more.
    You're the one that's coming across as sensitive as you don't appear to want to listen to any opposing views.
    Even if you don't think fighting off minor illnesses here will boost their immune system do you honestly think it will do it harm?

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I have 2 children with asthma, inherited from both parents! One is mild and has never had an antibiotic and rarely needs inhalers. The other is quite bad, but even he, at 8 years old has probably only had 3 antibiotics in his whole life. Kids get "common" illnesses. They're called common because they are common... And not very serious and not something that warrants taking a week off for to stay in isolation.

A child shouldn't need an antibiotic for a cold. But a child will catch "common" cold. Be it in creche, in the supermarket, in school, in the playground.

To answer your question. No. Nowhere will have a sick policy that a child with a runny nose must stay at home. How would that work exactly? Do parents who use these facilities, presumably because they work, take a week of work every time their child gets a sniffle. Or should all families have at least one parent who stays at home to keep the children in quarantine?

At what age do you let them into society to mix with 'the infected'? Or do they work from home, and shop online for the rest of their lives? In my experience and from hearsay, outdoorsie children and children who are in lots of different activities are rarely sick. I have 2 daughters who have NEVER been to the doctor. One is 10 and apart from immunisation shots and coming in with her brothers, she has never had any reason to be inside a doctor's surgery!! She went to playschool, school, dancing, camogie, cubs, etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

You could always raise them in a Zorb?

Bathing and feeding them might be difficult but at least those scary bugs that will ultimately prevent them from growing into sickly adults will be kept away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You started basically the same thread couple of months ago. The answers won't be much different this time so yes I do believe you that you start threads just because you like getting the replies.

Talk to some health professional because a lot of stuff you are writing is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

My kids have been in creche for 5 years and I'd say they have only been on antibiotics once, maybe twice, each in that time, and the two creches we were in didn't have a strict sick policy.

What are you going to do when the kids go to school, whether they go in Ireland or not they will be mixing with sick kids wherever they end up? the sick policy will be the same if not worse in school.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Maybe you are sat at home and this is all you have to entertain you but some of us are working and took the time out of our day to be helpful and answer your question. obviously send your children to school where ever you like but Ireland seems to be good enough for you at the moment so i don't understand why you would be so against them going to school here? out of curiosity where will you send them to school?

well could this be like an interactive thing where I am able to ask questions about the reply or should I take your reply as dogma? sounds like you don't like being questioned

I appreciate the replies, already think I mentioned that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The_Boy_in_the_Plastic_Bubble.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

This is your second time creating a thread on this topic. I think you need to make your mind up about what you want to do and stop telling other people that their decisions are wrong and you are right. I also think you have some kind of Germ phobia but you are probably going to dispute that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

well could this be like an interactive thing where I am able to ask questions about the reply or should I take your reply as dogma? sounds like you don't like being questioned

The problem is not that people are being dogmatic. It's that you don't like the answers and then get patronising and abusive. Stop that now. As already mentioned you started a similar thread in November and you're getting the same answers this time. Maybe you should accept the answers instead of getting all high and mighty about them.

of course you can ask questions about the reply but you have not done that? you claimed i was being "sensitive". What question did you have about my reply?

Where are you going to send your children to school?

Orion wrote: »
    The problem is not that people are being dogmatic. It's that you don't like the answers and then get patronising and abusive. Stop that now. As already mentioned you started a similar thread in November and you're getting the same answers this time. Maybe you should accept the answers instead of getting all high and mighty about them.

wow did you bold all that yourself? I think if you read my op it is asking about strict policies of creche which is not the same thing and if you don't like the thread feel free to bold elsewhere

Wesser wrote: »
    This is your second time creating a thread on this topic. I think you need to make your mind up about what you want to do and stop telling other people that their decisions are wrong and you are right. I also think you have some kind of Germ phobia but you are probably going to dispute that too.

nope not like that at all, I think maybe re read the op?

Based on your previous posts i think you might be a bit of a chancer. You moved here when your wife was pregnant and the first thing you did was ask should she keep it a secret from her employer so she would get her maternity benefits. When people told you they thought that was dishonest your turned on them. Then you were trying to get out of your lease with your landlord and tried to blame him for you not being able to afford the rent due to your wife not sorting out her tax affairs. You also tried to blame the landlord for your heating bill being higher then he had thought it would be? You sound like a bit of a scammer with too much time on your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

wow did you bold all that yourself? I think if you read my op it is asking about strict policies of creche which is not the same thing and if you don't like the thread feel free to bold elsewhere

In case it escaped your attention I mod this forum and that was a friendly warning to change your attitude. Any more outbursts like this and you will find your welcome here short lived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement