Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 gaming build with some parts on hand

Options
  • 02-02-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming- Elite Dangerous, Rocket League, Europa Universalis]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [256GB Crucial SSD, 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, 2x2TB HDDs, 2x1TB HDDs, Nvidia 970, DVD Drive (if those are still used) - will probably shelf the HDDs honestly as some of them are over five years old, see SSD]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes, a second one, current is 1080p/60hz/24"]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24"/1080p min]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Perhaps a PCI USB card as I plan on getting a VR headset]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes, currently running 2500k @4.8ghz]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/debit card/paypal/bitcoin]

9. When are you purchasing? [No particular rush, next month or so probably]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [should be fine]

now for the funk: I would also like this is either a mini-atx or itx case, if it's possible to cram a full length card in

I've built 5 computers to date so am relatively well versed in the expensive lego that is PC building, though I don't really know if the smaller cases will be a problem for cooling or airflow, or even building the PC - if this is a poor idea, let me know

Previous build was a 2500k/z68 rig that was incrementally upgraded with SSDs, 16GB RAM and with a 970, but I find it's just getting a bit old

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD Zen is out in March, I'd wait for that & see how its arrival affects the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

If Zen doesn't interest you, then you can pretty much blow the bank on an i7 7700K + Z270 motherboard + 16GB DDR4 3000MHz and still come in under budget.
    Complete overkill for the likes of Rocket League but I can imagine ED is quite demanding on the CPU.

I think you can keep the GPU. 970 is still pretty damn good. Can be upgraded in the future.
    There are plenty of resources on google for finding nice M-ATX cases which hold full length cards.

For monitor, pretty much depends on how much you wanna spend. A nice 24" 1080p won't be more than 200€, and can be as low as 100€. Once you start adding 144Hz requirements, then the price jumps a bit. I do recommend the 144Hz though. It's super nice for fast paced games like RL. BenQ are a nice model, and there is a thread a few down about monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Last time I was building a computer, everyone was raving about Bulldozer going to be the Intel-killer, best bang for buck, and it turned out to be fairly rubbish - so forgive me if I don't believe the hype this time

However, the jump from 2500k to 7600k doesn't seem as "big" in terms of importance as the one from q6600 to 2500k, so I suppose I can hold out for a bit

About ED, it's not very demanding overall, but once you start using the increased drawdistance mods and wacky visual setups like VR and surround projectors you'd make any computer chug. I believe the recommended specs for ED-VR are 3770k, 980 and 16GB RAM, so I'll probably need to look into bumping up the GPU, though that may be a couple months down the line

Advertisement