Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

other employees looking at my cv

Options
  • 02-02-2017 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I walked in to the office this morning and was greeted by a colleague telling me that they were looking at my cv and they made a positive comment about it.

I'm working there a couple of months. This person has just started. They are not my boss/supervisor.

Is this a data protection issue. As far as I'm aware they have no business looking at my cv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

How did they get a copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

IrishZeus wrote: »
    How did they get a copy of it?

There was a copy of it in my employee file, which they had a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

There was a copy of it in my employee file, which they had a look at.

And how did they get a look at that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Does your employee file contain anything like a previous p45 from an old job or your salary / bank details? I'd be very concerned over that. The company might try and say that because cv's are frequently available on LinkedIn, it's not a major issue.
    What role does this person have in the company? Does it give them access to hr files?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That sounds like a gross breach of protocol. Speak to your immediate supervisor and lodge a complaint. Employees should obviously not have access to records like that. Do they normally have access to records as part of their job, and were being nosy, or have they no business at all looking at records like that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is this other employee in HR or payroll?

If not then they've no business looking at your file. I'd have a major problem with it. Not so much the CV as it is publically available but your pay rate etc. is probably on your file.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

She is the person who's role in the office is to schedule meetings with clients. I don't know her exact job title (she's new and this was the first time I met her). I can't see why looking at my cv would be anything to do with this.

Yes, I presume my bank details etc. are in the file.

She's not HR or payroll

She is the person who's role in the office is to schedule meetings with clients. I don't know her exact job title (she's new and this was the first time I met her). I can't see why looking at my cv would be anything to do with this.

She's not HR or payroll

Definitely should not be looking at your file then. I'd bring it up with your manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

She is the person who's role in the office is to schedule meetings with clients.  I don't know her exact job title (she's new and this was the first time I met her). I can't see why looking at my cv would be anything to do with this.  

Yes,  I presume my bank details etc. are in the file.

She's not HR or payroll
    explain to a manager, hers or yours or HR if they are the approachable kind (int hat it wont become a big massive deal type) and explain for some reason she had your personnel file and commented on your CV, tell them you are not overly concerned about the CV but that your contract of employment salary bank details etc are all in there as well as potentially disciplinary and/or medical details and you would prefer if this was kept private. that as she commented your not sure if shes aware of the privacy employees are entitled to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a chance she saw it online on LinkedIn or similar if you had it freely available there and she printed it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'd say this is clearly a breach of your data privacy rights. Depending on the size of the organisation, and how far you want to take it, as well as the extent of information accessed by this individual, you could have a case that must be reported to the office of the DPC (within 48 hours!).

That's the nuclear option however - a more proportional response would be to talk to you manager and understand what your company policy is in this area - its not unusual for people not to realise their obligations wrt data privacy, and inadvertently breach them. Clearly some improvements needed however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

pilly wrote: »
    Is this other employee in HR or payroll?

If not then they've no business looking at your file. I'd have a major problem with it. Not so much the CV as it is publically available but your pay rate etc. is probably on your file.

Even if they are HR or payroll they need a specific reason to pull your file. They can't just look at your file without reason. I'd be very annoyed about stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I walked in to the office this morning and was greeted by a colleague telling me that they were looking at my cv and they made a positive comment about it.

I'm working there a couple of months. This person has just started. They are not my boss/supervisor.

Is this a data protection issue. As far as I'm aware they have no business looking at my cv.

That's bang out of order, your file/ CV should be in a HR office under lock and key or if not HR then locked in Managers office in a locked filing cabinet.
    Totally unacceptable and inappropriate for a work colleague to be able to access your employee file, does not sound like a very professional place you work in or for? Lack of process and procedures here.

red ears wrote: »
    Even if they are HR or payroll they need a specific reason to pull your file. They can't just look at your file without reason. I'd be very annoyed about stuff like that.

Yes but come on, HR would of course read a CV and the payroll department would also read it to get your address etc. from it.

We can get over paranoid about these things.

After all a CV is not a very private document.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Based upon what information??
    It contains personal data, so it's a very sensitive document.
    Linkenin would hide a lot of details a CV would have - address, contact details, and perhaps others the applicant my have added - marital status / DOB etc...

Depending on how the new start accessed this information, it could be a very serious data protection issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sounds like she should not have been looking and she defo should have had the cop on not to mention it.

Mention it to your boss/supervisor to keep her in check.

She is new and nosey- needs to stop for her own sake at least before she gets herself into real trouble.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Based upon what information??
    It contains personal data, so it's a very sensitive document.
    Linkenin would hide a lot of details a CV would have - address, contact details, and perhaps others the applicant my have added - marital status / DOB etc...

Depending on how the new start accessed this information, it could be a very serious data protection issue.

A CV is sent out to numerous people when seeking employment.

The point I'm making is that HR and payroll would know all of the above information anyway.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

If you can tell me why HR and payroll wouldn't need or have access to the above I might understand you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

As I said above, the concept of what is 'personal data' is very broad. In my experience working in a multinational (let alone a small enterprise), most people don't really understand the implications of not observing existing regulations, not to mention the incredibly broad requirements coming down the tracks with the GDPR. When that becomes law, your IP address for example will be considered personal data, and will fall under the stricter regulations. Non-trivial fines can apply for breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A CV is sent out to numerous people when seeking employment.

My bank details are sent out to numerous companies when arranging payment details and purchasing goods.
    That doesn't mean I want them viewed or stored by those I haven't authorised to.

The point I'm making is that HR and payroll would know all of the above information anyway.

That's fine, but was this new person working in HR?
    And even if they were, they have no business to discuss it with you unless it's in a formal setting.
    If someone in HR started shouted personal details to you in a pub, would you care?

Not sure what point you're trying to make.
    I don't think you grasp the concept of personal data and data protection.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    My bank details are sent out to numerous companies when arranging payment details and purchasing goods.
    That doesn't mean I want them viewed or stored by those I haven't authorised to.

That's fine, but was this new person working in HR?
    And even if they were, they have no business to discuss it with you unless it's in a formal setting.
    If someone in HR started shouted personal details to you in a pub, would you care?

I don't think you grasp the concept of personal data and data protection.

Oh look, argue away with yourself if you want. I've nothing further to add.

All I said was HR and payroll would have access to these details. Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

She's not HR or payroll

Maybe if her job is scheduling meetings with clients she might need a bit of background information on you? To sell you to the clients you know.

It does look like a breach of your privacy but I'm wondering is there a legitimate reason. Regardless, she is a fool for letting on that she has seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You have to ask yourself is there a good reason why she was looking at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Why didn't you just ask her why she had your cv and how she got it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Yes but come on, HR would of course read a CV and the payroll department would also read it to get your address etc. from it.

That's a specific reason. There is no problem if they have a reason.

What they cant do for example is just decide while having a conversation I wonder what peter did before he came here to work and one says oh wait a minute i'll have a look at his file and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

red ears wrote: »
    That's a specific reason. There is no problem if they have a reason.

What they cant do for example is just decide while having a conversation I wonder what peter did before he came here to work and one says oh wait a minute i'll have a look at his file and see.

Or just look at LinkedIn.

I..Is this a data protection issue. As far as I'm aware they have no business looking at my cv.

Find out how they got it, and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

You'll have to explain...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

"if you have it" was kinda implied....