Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

other employees looking at my cv

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I think a lot of the posters here don't seem to have a grasp of confidentiality in the workplace. I have worked in HR in the Public Service. There are rules in place that need to be complied with. Taking a gander through someones CV with out good reason is not OK. It doesn't matter if it is already on linkedin. If its already on linkedin then look at it on that on your own phone or computer at home. Going through someones work file is a totally different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its already been said umpteen times that its serious issue, if they are looking at your HR file with no reason. Not sure whats left to grasp.

The point about linkedin wasn't that it negates the above. Put people forget they have a lot of their CV it and that everyone at work looks it up. Customers look it up, etc. People in meetings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

red ears wrote: »
    I think a lot of the posters here don't seem to have a grasp of confidentiality in the workplace. I have worked in HR in the Public Service. There are rules in place that need to be complied with. Taking a gander through someones CV with out good reason is not OK. It doesn't matter if it is already on linkedin. If its already on linkedin then look at it on that on your own phone or computer at home. Going through someones work file is a totally different matter.

That's very true for pure HR files.

But you're missing the point about what sometimes happens in sales and professional services organisations

In these types of places, it can be necessary to look for links between employees and (potential) customers. It won't be HR doing that matching, it will be often be sales or services-management staff - and CVs may be the raw data for it. Also, if the OP is being proposed as a resource to work on a particular client project, it would be quite normal for a copy of their CV to be sent as part of the proposal. Sometimes this will simply be the CV that they applied for the job with, sometimes it will be the information on it reformatted to a company standard. Either way - their original CV will be the source document.

So it's quite possible that the person who saw the OP's CV had legitimate access to it. We don't know if this is the situation or not - the only way the OP can find out is to quietly as his/her manager about it.

As someone pointed out, they shouldn't have be blabbing about it. But that's a judgement lapse, rather than a privacy breach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

That's very true for pure HR files.

But you're missing the point about what sometimes happens in sales and professional services organisations

In these types of places, it can be necessary to look for links between employees and (potential) customers. It won't be HR doing that matching, it will be often be sales or services-management staff - and CVs may be the raw data for it. Also, if the OP is being proposed as a resource to work on a particular client project, it would be quite normal for a copy of their CV to be sent as part of the proposal. Sometimes this will simply be the CV that they applied for the job with, sometimes it will be the information on it reformatted to a company standard. Either way - their original CV will be the source document.

So it's quite possible that the person who saw the OP's CV had legitimate access to it. We don't know if this is the situation or not - the only way the OP can find out is to quietly as his/her manager about it.

As someone pointed out, they shouldn't have be blabbing about it. But that's a judgement lapse, rather than a privacy breach.

I understand that well as i pointed out earlier on the thread if there is a legitimate reason its fine. Just casually browsing someones file or CV is not.

Advertisement