Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishop's Field hardstand

Options
  • 02-02-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

A report in C Tribune today refers to a proposed new hardstand in Westside with a meeting about it next Saturday. It also said that there was overcrowding in the hardstand in Lwr Salthill-Bishop's Field.

It said when it opened it catered for 6 families but now there are 18 families living there. It did not say anything about the total number of people living there. In view of the Carrickmines tragedy and subsequent H&S reviews of hardstands throughout the country, of which I have no information-this presents a challenge to the council.

I wonder was the hardstand designed specifically for six families in the first place or could any amount of families move in as time went by? Do families need permission to move in in order to meet utility requirements? If they don't need permission how do they get and pay for electric for example?

Anytime I pass by I notice it choc a bloc and wonder if there was a fire in the furthest away caravan how a fire brigade would get to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

City Council are looking to put hardstands in Knocknacarra as well , I just love they way they look after hardstands once they are put to use, the hardstand in Ballybane is a disgrace with rubbish and old furniture dumped at the entrance ,a large apartment block beside it was built there but nobody moved in, windows are broken and apartments boarded up, why are they not repaired and used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    City Council are looking to put hardstands in Knocknacarra as well , I just love they way they look after hardstands once they are put to use, the hardstand in Ballybane is a disgrace with rubbish and old furniture dumped at the entrance ,a large apartment block beside it was built there but nobody moved in, windows are broken and apartments boarded up, why are they not repaired and used.

Because nobody wants to live beside a hardstand with their myriad of anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have never seen the Ballybane one. It upsets me a lot when I hear of all the rubbish and furniture left outside stands. There is an old refrain that it is not just the residents who drop stuff there and I am sure that is the case too.

Interestingly, although I would not pass by there that regularly, there never seems to be a pile up in front of Bishop's Field and this may be because it is on such a high visibility road and also it is such a narrow entrance that any congestion would be noticed quick enough.

I don't know what responsibilities the council specifically and utilities generally have regarding them once established. What about electricity monitoring? I assume Electric Ireland regularly read meters and so would be fully aware of any H&S issues. They must add additional electric outlets when requested as additional families come to live in the site. But this presumably would have to come through the council. It is all very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Where is the hard stand in Ballybane?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

sgthighway wrote: »

Behind the yellow apartment block just down from the Church

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

sgthighway wrote: »

Huge retail premises abandoned (bar a cost cutters & African shop) beside it. Such a waste of potential for that side of town. Anyone know the history of that development?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think it is owned by the credit union, and they used to have an office there. Briefly there was a barbershop/hairstylists there, it didn't last. It is indeed a great waste. I used to live very close to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

That place you are talking about in Ballybane is not a hardstand. It's a housing scheme. There are only 4 handstands in Galway City; Salthill, Rahoon, Doughiska and Tuam Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Huge retail premises abandoned (bar a cost cutters & African shop) beside it. Such a waste of potential for that side of town. Anyone know the history of that development?

It's by no means huge, there are a few small retail units and a heap of apartments empty. Not exactly going to draw in any highly sought after retailers etc. What potential do you see for it? There's very little that isn't already available elsewhere locally within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Where in Westside is the proposed new hardstand going to be located? or is it referring to the one in Knocknacarra which is earmarked to be situated adjacent to the newly built Coláiste na Coiribe Bóthar Bhaile na mBúrcach,, Knocknacarra, Galway?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Where in Westside is the proposed new hardstand going to be located? or is it referring to the one in Knocknacarra which is earmarked to be situated adjacent to the newly built Coláiste na Coiribe Bóthar Bhaile na mBúrcach,, Knocknacarra, Galway?

i believe it is somewhere behind the library there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's by no means huge, there are a few small retail units and a heap of apartments empty. Not exactly going to draw in any highly sought after retailers etc. What potential do you see for it? There's very little that isn't already available elsewhere locally within walking distance.

Indeed. I don't know what the local politics was but there must have been some: not much further down the road is an far larger enterprise / resource / community centre, and it is totally respected and looked after.

Similarly the library and day hospital beside the almost empty building are also looked after.

Advertisement