Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Premier League Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They need to shake this up, it's getting very boring and irrelevant

TbL

It's good viewing for the casual darts fan, people who are really into darts generally wouldn't be a fan of it.

I think I've watched 3 matches so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

anderson done 115 last weeks players final
    beat him 6 -1
    no hype over it because wayne mardle / sky hype train not involved ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's good viewing for the casual darts fan, people who are really into darts generally wouldn't be a fan of it.
    If you were a 'real darts fan' why wouldn't you want to see more televised important darts matches? MVG called this the second biggest tournament of the year last year. I love that I have darts to watch on Sky every week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If you were a 'real darts fan' why wouldn't you want to see more televised important darts matches?

Because it's a non-ranked tournament and therefor not important darts matches.
    MVG called this the second biggest tournament of the year last year. I love that I have darts to watch on Sky every week.

MvG is saying what Sky want him to say. Phil Taylor has been doing it for years.

It's great that you enjoy the tournament, many don't though. I think a lot of people, including me, believe that darts has reached saturation point with so many non-ranked tournaments on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Because it's a non-ranked tournament and therefor not important darts matches.
    I didn't know it was a non-ranked event. :o If the others are so important why do they get almost no airtime? Who knows how both MVG & Taylor feel? It's a long format and heavily televised, attracts the biggest crowds in darts, and well set up.

It also gives me an excuse to attend the PL session in Dublin month. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It certainly is a cashcow for the PDC.

And listen fair play to them, they plough the profits back into the Pro Tour prize money. All tour card holders benefit from the Premier League, as well as challenge tour and youth tour players.

As a spectacle though I find it bloody boring, I never seem to be able to stick with it. It's not essential viewing for me.

Tbh I prefer getting up a WDF/BDO stream at the weekends and watching a darts Open from some Eastern European country. :pac:

I much prefer the excitement of tournament play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I didn't know it was a non-ranked event. :o If the others are so important why do they get almost no airtime? Who knows how both MVG & Taylor feel? It's a long format and heavily televised, attracts the biggest crowds in darts, and well set up.

It also gives me an excuse to attend the PL session in Dublin month. :)

Every major tournament is televised and receives the same coverage as the rest.

There are so many meaningless games in the premier league. You can see the players themselves aren't even arsed for some of them.

Try going to the Grand Prix in Citywest for the quarter finals night. Always a cracking night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

mdwexford wrote: »

You can see the players themselves aren't even arsed for some of them.

Exactly this!

I think it's a totally manufactured side show, with very little tension or drama.

Players don't really give a fcuk, almost seem like they are going through the motions.

Part of the attraction of tournament darts is than you've got something to lose, very little at stake at this s glorified exhibition

Like another poster said I'd watch any class of tournament darts that this toss.

Tbl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Unusual to see Taylor up first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

paulie21 wrote: »
    Unusual to see Taylor up first

And see how that worked out for him :)

• Advertisement

Thought mvg was going to get the 9 darter there

• Registered Users Posts: 36,252 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kim is a bottler. Plain and simple.

Can't get over that finish line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Huybrechts is a ballbag.
    Had him down for 6-6 in the PL prediction game and he missed 4 darts at a double to go up 6-5 with MvG to throw for the draw.
    He folds time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I think I will need to turn my TV down for this match. Crowd will be very loud I expect. Good matches tonight I am enjoying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Gary throwing ridiculous darts and then mucks up where he should have gone 6-0 up. Those early legs for him were outstanding

Barney was like a man possessed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Lewis up to his old tricks again. Complaining that Kim was stamping on the stage after collecting his darts.

statto25 wrote: »
    Lewis up to his old tricks again. Complaining that Kim was stamping on the stage after collecting his darts.

Funny how the heaviest man in darts accuses others of causing the oche to shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Maybe I should have given Adrian the benefit of the doubt! Still there is pointing it out to the ref and then there is having a hissy fit on the stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

How good was Barney tonight wow just wow. MVG and Klassen both with injuries this year in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Taylor getting unsettled by been booed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Taylor is embarrassing himself more and more every time ye see him...

raiders11 wrote: »

He was very childish towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

gramar wrote: »
    He was very childish towards the end.

And a complete tool!!

TbL

Imagine if someone every time he loses grabs the board and gets him to sign in , he's a complete baby , bad winner and a terrible loser

And a complete tool!!

TbL

He really looked like a spa last night.
    Frustration got the better of him. I think he saw Barney playing the darts of his life earlier and adored by the crowd while he was getting a bit of stick and then he threw away a 3-0 lead and was schooled by MvG. He let himself down and it was a lack of respect towards the fans in Rotterdam and MvG to chuck away his last 4 darts like that and behave like a spoiled child.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

raiders11 wrote: »

It's a pity but it's true. He never looked more past it than he did last night. Should have packed it in after worlds this year. MvG looked like he wanted to laugh at him in the post match interview.

i think MVG had has to be given a lot of credit for his behaviour . when he turned around and saw taylor celebrating him missing a double and didn't react then taylor spoke to him at the end of the leg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Sarcastically applauding the crowd too after they jeered as he threw and missed 2 darts at a double.. A thing he thrived on happening to some of his opponents over the last 2 decades..He sure as hell, had no problem with it then..

Advertisement