Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus delayed flight caused me to miss a later flight, am i entitled to reimburs

Options
  • 02-02-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Basically i was travelling to Chiang Mai via Bangkok on the 6th of January and bought a package that included a connecting flight. My flight schedule was Dublin -> Heathrow leaving at 12:30pm and arriving at 1:45 and then a direct flight to Bangkok leaving at 3pm.

My flight from Dublin was delayed an hour and as a result i missed my flight to Bangkok. I was put on another flight at no extra cost to me which was fine, however i missed my flight to Chiang Mai.

As this flight was a separate deal not part of the original booking Aer Lingus and BA said it wasnt their problem and to check my travel insurance. I had to purchase another flight once i had arrived in Bangkok. Im not covered for missed flights. Am i entitled to reimbursement from either Airline?

As always i appreciate any feedback!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Separate pnrs would have to rely on insurance I'm afraid
    If you didn't have any then you're goosed

If you paid with a master card that might have travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

Ah ok I used my Visa but thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are not covered for flights on a different booking. 1 hour is not enough for EU261 compensation either. You need to get suitable travel insurance if self-connecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

Well the initial time between arriving in heathrow and departing was 1:30 and was set by the original booking, not me, but i was delayed 9 hours once i had arrived in Bangkok.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ryan91 wrote: »
    Well the initial time between arriving in heathrow and departing was 1:30 and was set by the original booking, not me, but i was delayed 9 hours once i had arrived in Bangkok.

I think you're difficulty here is pinning blame on anyone...

Aer Lingus got you into Heathrow an hour late, give them a slap on the wrist but you won't be able to pin the later delay on them because it wasn't on the booking

The delay in your arrival into Heathrow wasn't BA's fault, they got you out on the next available flight to Bangkok

The time gap to the third leg has nothing to do with Aer Lingus or BA, you paid them to fly you from Dublin to Bangkok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Little bit confusing, who did you buy the package from? Was it connecting as in luggage was routed direct onto the next flight without you needing to checkin? Was it two flight bookings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

sounds like it was an unprotected *connection* so basically, no, you're not entitled to compo from the airline (s).

you got to your destination albeit late, so what exactly are you looking for , compensation wise ?

you got to your destination albeit late, so what exactly are you looking for , compensation wise ?

Presumably the extra expense incurred

Presumably the extra expense incurred

He's not entitled to any compensation for missing the last flight that was booked separately i.e. the price of the new one
    He had a contract with BA and EI to get him to Bangkok only so that's where their liability ended

These situations are the array of a travel insurance plan

OverRide wrote: »
    He's not entitled to any compensation for missing the last flight that was booked separately i.e. the price of the new one
    He had a contract with BA and EI to get him to Bangkok only so that's where their liability ended

These situations are the array of a travel insurance plan

I know that, my post was in response to this question 'you got to your destination albeit late, so what exactly are you looking for , compensation wise ?' not the one you think I answered

• Advertisement

Ah I understand now
    More importantly the Op does aswell
    Moral of the story,buy inst

Advertisement