Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British monarch references painted over on street signs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

These guys are Irish Republicans. Sinn Fein would surely take up the complaints they have and so they should put it to Sinn Fein to speak about it, peacefully in the Dail.

Far as I know, SF have been against this back as far as Nelson's pillar. Some of the most vocal champions of our built heritage local to me would be SF members actually.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well if that were true, sure would the boys your so fond of be grand then.....given they've monetised bank robbery (as opposed to Banksy robbing :D), fuel laundering, tobacco smuggling, protection rackets, intellectual property piracy, etc etc etc

Maybe if they left a bag of swag in your 'garage' you would look the other way or become a cheap hypocrite? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe if they left a bag of swag in your 'garage' you would look the other way or become a cheap hypocrite? ;)

No, because there'd be no market for something stolen.....as opposed to getting something done to my property.

If they want to vandalise something, vandalise their own stuff.

EDIT: and I think given the prices Banksy's work is commanding I'm an expensive hypocrite?

No, because there'd be no market for something stolen.....as opposed to getting something done to my property.

If they want to vandalise something, vandalise their own stuff.

EDIT: and I think given the prices Banksy's work is commanding I'm an expensive hypocrite?

:D:D the lols are loud in Francie's house. A wee hiding for English rugby to keep the 6 nations open would complete the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

These guys are Irish Republicans. Sinn Fein would surely take up the complaints they have and so they should put it to Sinn Fein to speak about it, peacefully in the Dail.

Given that this lot support Brexit and IRexit you think Sinn Féin that are against Brexit would talk up for this lot in the Dáil?

• Advertisement

Given that this lot support Brexit and IRexit you think Sinn Féin that are against Brexit would talk up for this lot in the Dáil?

Here's a SF councillor and a Republican ex prisoner organization working to restore and preserve a plantation castle. Imagine, a plantation castle!!! :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/17th-century-plantation-castle-found-hiding-in-plain-sight-1.2762110

Here's a SF councillor and a Republican ex prisoner organization working to restore and preserve a plantation castle. Imagine, a plantation castle!!! :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/17th-century-plantation-castle-found-hiding-in-plain-sight-1.2762110

Yeah, imagine that. How things have changed.....

Stronge double murder detailed in government files
    .......on the night of 21 January, an armed gang of ten men crossed the border, hijacked two vehicles and went to the isolated mansion where they murdered Sir Norman and his son.

They then bombed the Abbey before escaping.

.....restoring our heritage instead of burning it.....must be a novel experience ;)

Yeah, imagine that. How things have changed.....

Stronge double murder detailed in government files

.....restoring our heritage instead of burning it.....must be a novel experience ;)

Oh we are back in the conflict/war now?
    WW2 anyone? Wasn't much consideration given to the built heritage then was there?

You argument is all at sea Jawgap. Maybe just watch the rugger?

Oh we are back in the conflict/war now?
    WW2 anyone? Wasn't much consideration given to the built heritage then was there?

You argument is all at sea Jawgap. Maybe just watch the rugger?

Yes, well that would be true if it was ex-Luftwaffe working on a comparable project.

You're not going to suggest that heritage and it's value was a consideration when the 'RA were bombing and murdering their way through the Troubles???

Adams and Kelly, the Monuments Men???? :D

Yes, well that would be true if it was ex-Luftwaffe working on a comparable project.

You're not going to suggest that heritage and it's value was a consideration when the 'RA were bombing and murdering their way through the Troubles???

Adams and Kelly, the Monuments Men???? :D

It isn't when anyone goes to war/conflict.

Try again. You are not doing very well today.

• Advertisement

It isn't when anyone goes to war/conflict.

Try again. You are not doing very well today.

Well, actually it is.

I know your grasp of history is somewhat anorexic, but if you look at the discussions the Allies had around the SHINGLE and AVALANCHE landings and the desire to avoid damaging Papal property near by......or consider why Paris nor Rome were bombed......or why Operation BOWLER was called Operation BOWLER.....you'll see just how much weight was given to protecting heritage, architecture and art.

Yeh, Cologne and Dresden.

If the IRA had a mission of destroying the built heritage they made a hames of it.

Ridiculous clutching argument persists.

Yeh, Cologne and Dresden.

If the IRA had a mission of destroying the built heritage they made a hames of it.

Ridiculous clutching argument persists.

I didn't say they targeted it, I just pointed out that they were reckless as to whether it was destroyed or not.

I didn't say they targeted it, I just pointed out that they were reckless as to whether it was destroyed or not.

As everybody is in a conflict/war. As demonstrated. Pathetic to revert to a conflict /war scenario in the face of a clear presentation of SF and ex IRA prisoners preserving and restoring a !piece of our planted heritage.

Utterly pathetic in fact.

As everybody is in a conflict/war. As demonstrated. Pathetic to revert to a conflict /war scenario in the face of a clear presentation of SF and ex IRA prisoners preserving and restoring a !piece of our planted heritage.

Utterly pathetic in fact.

Hey, just pointing out the remarkable turnaround - they'd be more used to burning it or robbing it than protecting or preserving it.

Well done to them, though.

Hey, just pointing out the remarkable turnaround - they'd be more used to burning it or robbing it than protecting or preserving it.

Well done to them, though.

At least they didn't pack their museums with somebody else's built heritage. :)

At least they didn't pack their museums with somebody else's built heritage. :)

I presume then the Shinners will be advocating giving back all other people's heritage when the Executive resumes?

Ancient Egypt

I presume then the Shinners will be advocating giving back all other people's heritage when the Executive resumes?

Ancient Egypt

If any of it was illegally plundered I am sure they would.

Who would be against it? Would you? (maybe you have some in the 'garage'?) :)

If any of it was illegally plundered I am sure they would.

Who would be against it? Would you? (maybe you have some in the 'garage'?) :)

Well there could be, there's all kinds of sh1te in there......everything except the cars :D

There's even some black paint if the Cork Banksies wish to continue or expand their initiative.

Well there could be, there's all kinds of sh1te in there......everything except the cars :D

There's even some black paint if the Cork Banksies wish to continue or expand their initiative.

Would you be in favour of Britain's museums returning built heritage taken during Empire?

• Advertisement

Would you be in favour of Britain's museums returning built heritage taken during Empire?

Yeah, why not?

Yeah, why not?

Just wondering. Hard to work out what your view might be.

Just wondering. Hard to work out what your view might be.

Sorry, I'll try to use smaller words in future.

Sorry, I'll try to use smaller words in future.

:) I would say don't flip flop, be consistent. No danger then.

:) I would say don't flip flop, be consistent. No danger then.

Nah, a long time ago the importance of psychological flexibility was imparted to me.

Not sure what danger you're referring to, but maybe we'll leave it there, based on the Shinners announcement I'm guessing you'll be summoned for a briefing....

Nah, a long time ago the importance of psychological flexibility was imparted to me.

Not sure what danger you're referring to, but maybe we'll leave it there, based on the Shinners announcement I'm guessing you'll be summoned for a briefing....

Ah, the 'Shinner' cul de sac again.
    How apt to end on.

Ah, the 'Shinner' cul de sac again.
    How apt to end on.

Sorry, I keep forgetting your lack of involvement. It's well painted over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ah lads get a room would you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't believe we should be changing names because they're British. If we did that we'd be as bad as the unionists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't believe we should be changing names because they're British. If we did that we'd be as bad as the unionists
    I said the same thing to someone as I was walking down Sackville St ( O'Connell St) on the way to (British built) Amiens St Station ( Connolly st) to get the train to Kingstown ( Dun Laoghaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

maryishere wrote: »
    I said the same thing to someone as I was walking down Sackville St ( O'Connell St) on the way to (British built) Amiens St Station ( Connolly st) to get the train to Kingstown ( Dun Laoghaire).

With a bit of good luck you caught the ferry (boat) at the end

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't believe we should be changing names because they're British. If we did that we'd be as bad as the unionists.

Indeed. We have as a race experienced this attempt to obliterate the past through the obliteration of our language before and we should be very sensitive to it.
    Brian Friel deals with it in Translations. A play which follows a company of English military cartographers/surveyors changing place names in Donegal in the early 19th century.
    While what is going on in the play, the loss of our language and the resulting challenge to express our identity in the language of the coloniser is, tragic and violent in its vulgarity, the message is upbeat. As the main character says at the end

'We must learn these new names… We must learn where we live. We must learn to make them our own. We must make them our new home'

I think we have largely done that, we have taken their language and names and we use them in our own unique way.
    I have no fear of what the British left behind. Like a few on here, those guys painting out names are still captives of the colonisers.

I have no fear of what the British left behind.
    And yet you defended the destruction of Nelsons column, which was a viewing platform and tourist attraction in our Capital city?

And yet you defended the destruction of Nelsons column, which was a viewing platform and tourist attraction in our Capital city?

No Mary, I didn't. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted byDel.Monte
    Would that be like the Nelson Pillar, the Walker monument in Derry, the Victoria monument in Dun Laoghaire to name but a few pieces of handiwork of 'true' republicans.
    Yes it would.
    Reactionary and silly demonstrations like the above are akin to the worst strains of reactionary empire adulation.
    It is understandable after a period of subjugation and overweening triumphalism from 'one side'.
    It's a physical form of trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No Mary, I didn't. :rolleyes:

Just ignore. Hell is the absence of reasoning and there's no reasoning with waffle.

• Advertisement

Thanks Francie for answering my question / clarifying that, as some Republicans supported the destruction of Nelsons Pillar. We are agreed on something.

Thanks Francie for answering my question / clarifying that, as some Republicans supported the destruction of Nelsons Pillar. We are agreed on something.

I have to say, I find that as despicable an answer as I have seen on here.
    Your inability to accept that you are simply wrong is chilling. And you are not alone, unfortunately.

Your inability to accept that you are simply wrong is chilling. And you are not alone, unfortunately.

lol. In my sole, unedited sentence in post no 334, I had a question mark, and yet you think it was not a question. Seeing as you defended the actions of Republicans on many other occasions, I am glad there is one operation you condemn them for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

lol.  In my sole, unedited sentence in post no 334, I had a question mark, and yet you think it was not a question.  Seeing as you defended the actions of Republicans on many other occasions, I am glad there is one operation you condemn them for.
    As rare as hens teeth!

But people know these views exist within Republicanism and vandalizing public property is not right. Just write a leaflet about it or get Sinn Fein to address it in the Dail.
    Sorry I think I missed a bit... What's the Sinn Féin link with these guys?

I'll try again...

No need for the quote button... I'll accept a straight answer.

• Advertisement

lol. In my sole, unedited sentence in post no 334, I had a question mark, and yet you think it was not a question. Seeing as you defended the actions of Republicans on many other occasions, I am glad there is one operation you condemn them for.

Beautiful yet again.

There was a reason I compared those who took down Nelson's Pillar to the the worst of the reactionary empire adulators.
    Both are cut from the same self flagellating/self hating cloth. Both a product of colonisation.

But people know these views exist within Republicanism and vandalizing public property is not right. Just write a leaflet about it or get Sinn Fein to address it in the Dail.
    Sorry I think I missed a bit... What's the Sinn Féin link with these guys?

I'll try again...

No need for the quote button... I'll accept a straight answer.
    The topic has nothing to do with Brexit. The only people they can take the issue up who can speak about it in the Dail are Sinn Fein. Its a pretty straight forward answer and why you seem to struggle with it is beyond me or anyone viewing the thread.
    No one said they are Sinn Fein.

The topic has nothing to do with Brexit. The only people they can take the issue up who can speak about it in the Dail are Sinn Fein. Its a pretty straight forward answer and why you seem to struggle with it is beyond me or anyone viewing the thread.

Why wouldn't it have anything to do with Fianna Fail? Or FG for that matter? They all claim to be spokespersons for 'republicanism' when it suits them.

This isn't an expression of republicanism at all btw. They call themselves Republicans like some call themselves British, when they are anything but.

Let me help you out a bit, you seem to be struggling. This lot that the topic is about support Brexit THAT is the link. I asked why a party against Brexit that is Sinn Féin would speak up for a party supporting it. Are you following now?

Let me help you out a bit, you seem to be struggling. This lot that the topic is about support Brexit THAT is the link. I asked why a party against Brexit that is Sinn Féin would speak up for a party supporting it. Are you following now?
    The topic is not about Brexit, the topic is about vandalism towards Irish signs. 

Why wouldn't it have anything to do with Fianna Fail? Or FG for that matter? They all claim to be spokespersons for 'republicanism'  when it suits them.

This isn't an expression of republicanism at all btw. They call themselves Republicans like some call themselves British, when they are anything but.
    Those parties are not Republican parties as you know all too well. They are as partitionist as the DUP.

The topic is not about Brexit, the topic is about vandalism towards Irish signs. 
    Correct but you brought Sinn Fein into the mix which is why I asked the question that you failed to answer.

Those parties are not Republican parties as you know all too well. They are as partitionist as the DUP.

Those guys are NOT republican as everyone but them, knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I have no objection to the old British street names, and I'm pretty sure that if O'Connell Street was still Sackville Street, life would still go on as normal, and only a minority of people would be getting their knickers in a twist over it. Like it or not, the British left us a legacy, and in some ways, not a bad one. We aren't slow to sell Dublin as an attractive city to visit, well most of the buildings that make it so attractive were built by..guess who. The irish contribution was to pull some of them down to erect eyesores like the new Liberty Hall and the ESB offices. Should the Georgian and Edwardian architectures, the Custoim House, the...gasp...GPO...be pulled down to satisfy those who would like to see 1921 as "year zero"?

That said, although I get irritated by teeth-gnashing over street names, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep if they were changed, as long as it was something good, i.e. something a bit more imaginitive than streets named after saints or republicans or local priests. There are lots of other options, historical, mythological, geographical...that would also be apolitical. And if we must go down the republican/priest route (please Odin, no), just use the surname for crying out loud. McDermott Street would work just as well as Sean McDermott St. and is snappier, ditto names like Murphy Road instead of "Father Murphy Road", etc...

Those guys are NOT republican as everyone but them, knows.
    Of course they are. They are Irish Republicans in ideology. It would be like me saying the Orange Order aren't Unionists.

Of course they are. They are Irish Republicans in ideology. It would be like me saying the Orange Order aren't Unionists.

Despite the fact that clear evidence of ex IRA prisoners and SF preserving and restoring the very first symbols/bastions of the plantation has been shown, you are going to insist that they are the 'same thing'?

Carry on with the self delusion, you cannot be helped to understand. Just like a few others here, your bias has clearly blinded you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement