Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorcycle permit

• 02-02-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i have a drivers learners permit that expired about a year ago.
    I have been feeling the itch for a motorcycle after riding them on holidays.

So what is the next step? Can i just pay to add another category to my learners permit or do i have to take another theory test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Depends, there are a lot of new rules.
    You need a provisional motorcycle license, and need to do a different driver theory to the car one. You may also have to do IBT (initial basic training) depending on age and experience.

Have a look here:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

bourdain94 wrote: »
    i have a drivers learners permit that expired about a year ago.
    I have been feeling the itch for a motorcycle after riding them on holidays.

So what is the next step? Can i just pay to add another category to my learners permit or do i have to take another theory test?

If its not expired by more than 5 years you can renew it without a theory test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you'll need to do a motorbike theory test id say

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bourdain94

How do i do that actually, the site is congested with undecipherable information on renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

bourdain94 wrote: »
    How do i do that actually, the site is congested with undecipherable information on renewal.

If you haven't had a motorcycle learner permit before, then it's not renewal. It's a new learner permit category.

For that - theory test, eye test (may be required), then on to the NDLS to get a motorcycle learner permit, depending on which category you go for.

Then do the IBT, wait 6 months for practice and then apply for full test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Can you acquire a motorcycle permit/licence without a prior car licence? In other words, can you simply solely acquire a motorbike licence without ever getting a car one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Reindeer wrote: »
    Can you acquire a motorcycle permit/licence without a prior car licence? In other words, can you simply solely acquire a motorbike licence without ever getting a car one?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

Sorry to drag this back up, I am a little confused about the learners permit.
    I have an Irish driving license for class B and W since 2008.
    To obtain a class A, or A2 learners permit do I have to do another theory test or do I simply apply for the permit as I passed a theory test back in 2007?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

<bert> wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this back up, I am a little confused about the learners permit.
    I have an Irish driving license for class B and W since 2008.
    To obtain a class A, or A2 learners permit do I have to do another theory test or do I simply apply for the permit as I passed a theory test back in 2007?
    Paulw wrote: »
    If you haven't had a motorcycle learner permit before, then it's not renewal. It's a new learner permit category.

For that - theory test, eye test (may be required), then on to the NDLS to get a motorcycle learner permit, depending on which category you go for.

Then do the IBT, wait 6 months for practice and then apply for full test.

:o:o:o

There is no getting around it, if you haven't had a motorcycle LP before you'll need to start with a theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

Thanks @Ayrtonf7.

• Advertisement
Advertisement