Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/Bars in Dublin city centre that aren't too loud ?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,

Just need some advice, I'm going on a date soon in the evening/night during the week & ideally we're looking for a pub/bar in Dublin centre city that is sort of quiet I guess but maybe trendy, that when you're on a date you can have a conversation with a person without having to shout across the table to have a decent conversation ?

I was in the mercantile one evening on a date & couldn't have a decent conversation with the person I was out with as there was loud blaring music just kills conversation.

Anyone have any ideas :) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Loads

Black bird in Rathmines
    http://www.dohenyandnesbitts.ie/

Doheny and Nesbit in Baggot Street
    http://www.dohenyandnesbitts.ie/

Lbrary Bar on Exchequer Street
    http://www.centralhoteldublin.com/library-bar.html

Bleeding Horse on Camden Street
    http://bleedinghorse.ie/

Where in the city are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Library Bar on Exchequer St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I like Peters Pub, South William Street, very cosy, nice atmosphere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Moved from AH to the Dublin City Forum.
    Please have a gander at the charter before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

The Library Bar is a lovely spot for a drink, but in case either of you is a beer fan, their beer selection is absolutely abysmal.

The Grand Social just by the north end of the Ha'Penny bridge could be a nice spot for a quiet drink/date.

Any of the Galway Bay pubs in town (Against the Grain on Wexford St., The Black Sheep on Capel St etc.) will fit the 'trendy' part of the bill, but can be on the loud side at times.

The Cobblestone in Smithfield is a great pub with top quality trad music, but the music is not plugged in, so just sit a little away from the musicians and you'll be fine.

A tiny bit further afield, Walsh's pub in Stoneybatter is one of my favourite spots in Dublin for a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Check out the Hilton Hotel along the Canal near Portobello. A quiet table can almost certainly be found there among other venues.

Word against the Bleeding Horse, very occasionally when they're busy, they can forget your meal order.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Duke, unless there's a big Ireland game on

In general, hotel bars tend to skip the music too

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Sorry to derail this thread but don't want to start another one.

I'm staying in the holiday Inn on O'connell Street next Friday night. I'm looking for a late bar to go with my partner with decent promotions and a bit of music. Don't fancy a nightclub. I've been to the woolshed a few times and it's been decent but looking for somewhere else

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    I'm staying in the holiday Inn on O'connell Street next Friday night. I'm looking for a late bar to go with my partner with decent promotions and a bit of music. Don't fancy a nightclub. I've been to the woolshed a few times and it's been decent but looking for somewhere else

Within the context of this thread, you should go to the Mercantile and definitely avoid any of the other places suggested here!

The places suggested on this thread might be more to your liking... or pretty much anywhere in the Dame Street \ Temple Bar area.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057697188

Or, fire ahead and start another thread... there's no limit :)

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Sorry to derail this thread but don't want to start another one.

I would say avoid Temple bar at all costs, overpriced.

Try The Church in Jervis Street, always a great atmosphere. Downstairs is a kind of club but I don't think there's an admission fee on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

pilly wrote: »
    I would say avoid Temple bar at all costs, overpriced.

Try The Church in Jervis Street, always a great atmosphere. Downstairs is a kind of club but I don't think there's an admission fee on a Friday.

You can't say Temple Bar is overpriced and then recommend The Church.

Grand Central for somewhere local, Late and the odd cocktail promotion. Or Murray's right next door which has access to another bar or two via beer garden, pretty sure one of them does deals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Collie D wrote: »
    You can't say Temple Bar is overpriced and then recommend The Church.

Grand Central for somewhere local, Late and the odd cocktail promotion. Or Murray's right next door which has access to another bar or two via beer garden, pretty sure one of them does deals

Big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

To the original poster, as a previous poster suggested ...Walshe's in Stoneybatter. Lovely spot, very well run and if things go well plenty of places around to go for dinner after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Upstairs in T.P Smiths might suit,in the same neck of the woods is the Gin Palace.The latter also have an extensive cocktail selection,always good on dates,even as a conversation starter whilst both of you sidle up together and peruse the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Grogans surely.

Smashing pint of Guinness to boot and no hipsters! Its win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes Grogans castle lounge or Nearys or the Long hall nearby. Proper pubs for drinking and chatting. like the auld days

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Yes Grogans castle lounge or Nearys or the Long hall nearby. Proper pubs for drinking and chatting. like the auld days

+1 for nearys, getting a seat in Grogans sometimes can be a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Slattsy wrote: »
    Grogans surely.

Smashing pint of Guinness to boot and no hipsters! Its win win.

You joking? That's where the original of the species gather.

Birneybau wrote: »

I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Birneybau wrote: »

Maybe im a hipster :eek:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've never noticed any there. And im anti-hipster - am I that drunk?? :D

• Advertisement

How about the Dawson lounge? Nice and small, usually quiet and a decent pint, or Bowes, I know it keeps coming up in other threads but I do love that pub when it's not too busy.

P.s if you're in a room and after 5mins you can't spot the hipster YOU are the hipster. :D

The Dawson Lounge might be a bit too cosy for a first date though...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Dawson Lounge might be a bit too cosy for a first date though...

Just means she has nowhere to run ;)

I'd say this date has taken place by now. At least I hope so. :P

The thread has entered mission creep and we are now offering general advice to anyone on a first date...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Are ya married yet OP ???

GBX wrote: »
    Are ya married yet OP ???

Only one way to find out, ask them on a date.....

They might choo choo choose you for Valentines Day :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hogan's is very popular for 1st daters during mid week. It's a perfect spot for it. Plenty of seats and music played low.

I'm a regular in Grogan's and it can get the occasional hipster overflow from Pyg across the road. I wouldn't recommend it for 1st date though because you'll be sitting near other people that would be able to listen into your conversation. That's normally grand, but on a 1st date? Personally I'd be quite self conscious in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

What about upstairs on the terrace in the marker? Or in Suesey Street...or downstairs in the westin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Just to clarify this is by no means a first date myself and the misses have been together 5 years we are going to a show in the bord gáis theatre but thanks for all the suggestions.

Advertisement