Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eden Blackrock vs Jacobs island

Options
  • 02-02-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Looking at buying a semi-detached in either Eden or Jacobs Island, would really appreciate any opinions on the pros & cons of each as I'm not from the area. Prices are quite similar so just looking at any other factors. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Jacobs island is a bit cut off other than having a big shopping centre beside u . Eden has a few pubs near it as well as shopping centre and nice walks by the pier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I would prefer Eden as well for location. You are closer to the village , which has the market , pier etc.

I think they are starting to build in Eden again - houses very close to Aldi which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Defo go for Eden if there isnt much price differance.. While Jacobs is nice for walks or a walk, thats really it.. You will be plagued with Traffic as everyone goes to Mahon Point..

Eden also has loverly walks, close to amenities, bus routes and still has a kinda small town feel to it..Plus with live at the Marquee and all that if you wanted to rent short term or anything you would make a bit back on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Eden would be far better.

It has the best of both worlds. Close to Mahon Point and the workplaces in the area but also facing Blackrock which is undergoing redevelopment at the moment. Once Pairc Ui Chaoimh is rebuilt they will start ibn a new park around it with upgrades to the riverside marina. All in all, a nice place to live.

Jacob's Island has beautiful views of the harbour and estuary and a nice walkway around it but it is a bit cut off due to the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Max999 wrote: »
    Looking at buying a semi-detached in either Eden or Jacobs Island, would really appreciate any opinions on the pros & cons of each as I'm not from the area. Prices are quite similar so just looking at any other factors. Thanks.

I can't comment on the areas, but some of the early Eden development had known, serious plumbing issues. Most of these are rental properties so I am not sure if they were ever addressed. This may not be an issue for the newer properties.

A good structural survey will be essential for either area anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

It's all Viet-mahon

I'd go for eden,

Jacobs island is a swamp
    vietnam-war-1966.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Forgot about that patch out the back by the walk, the dog went in there one day she was reaking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paul daniels

Go for jacobs island ,having lived in eden for a number of years i cant even begin to
    explain the problems you,ll have .teens drinking ,setting fires, dogs deffecating outside your
    front door ,badly built ,unreasonable neighbours ,residents cars clamped outside their
    own doors,very low percentage of owner occupiers ,which means an awful lot of renters
    just passing through , paper thin walls,burglarys.I could go on.
    It looks nice when you take a walk through but avoid at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6 manish_kumar

I am not sure of property value appreciation but it should give a good rental value. Apart from that what Paul Daniels said is mostly true but the severity of the problems you may face varies from case to case. Living in Eden is okay and may not be great, it depends upon your expectations and priorities (convenience Vs exclusive peaceful living). Also, the city council plan puts the development in this area as medium to medium-high density so parking troubles are to be expected if not already experienced.
    Regarding the quality: plumbing may be an area of concern. Thin walls, I am not too sure as most of the houses share walls and what you could hear is something but mostly you won't be able to figure out what is being talked about. So I'd give it a pass given that its basically an estate of townhouses (setting the expectations right kind of thing)
    From what I've seen, everywhere its the same story, quality is mostly on the surface and you are never too sure what lies beneath that cover.
    I myself would be interested if something rightly priced comes up as I would prioritize convenience over other aspects of living.
    If people think otherwise please do share your thoughts as I myself would love to improve my understanding of buying properties in this area.

Advertisement