Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian restaurant

Options
  • 02-02-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi..I haven't found recent answers to to
    His question..I'm looking for fairly authentic indian restaurant or take away in dublin area. Have family heading over on hols soon and they would love to know what the dishes are etc before they go over..any ideas?I tried Pickle but they are booked out. I know when abroad a good tip is to watch where the locals eat..but whichor restaurants do Indian people rate?any help welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Konkan on Clanbrassil St always gets my vote for Indian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

VAgya on botanic avenue...neplese but the food is good and its near india!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't answer for its authenticity - I'm not that well up on Indian cuisine really - but I've eaten in Chakra/Jaipur in Greystones, and it was hands down one of the best meals out I've ever had in Dublin. It was just absolutely delicious, start to finish.

They have a few other restaurants, I think, in Dalkey and Malahide. They used to have one on George's St in the city centre but I'm fairly sure that's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Rasam in Glasthule is meant to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Kinara in Clontarf is great, think there's one in Ranelagh as well but I haven't been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You will have a lovely dinner in Kinara but they are more typical of Pakistani cuisine. The differences between Indian and Pakistani cuisine being an ahem ecumenical matter... also I think I read that there are broad differences between northern and southern Indian cuisine, differences which exceed my knowledge of the subject! So thats another complicating factor if you are doing a trial run. A visit to a provence inspired french restaurant in dublin may not prepare you for a trip to bordeaux, for example.
    You might want to followup that aspect on food forum.

More info here...
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=510916

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Another vote here for Konkan on Clanbrassil St (Dublin 8). They have another branch in Dundrum but I've never been since I live so close to the Dublin 8 one.

http://www.konkan.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Kinara in either Clontarf or Ranelagh is really good but as another poster mentioned it's more Pakistan than India!

Ananda in Dundrum is fantastic too. They do traditional and more modern Indian food. The Vindaloo Pork chop is my personal favorite. Very quiet mid week though so try and go at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Rasam in Glasthule is great and I also like Madina in the city centre (Mary Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Madina on Mary Street probably more authentic as requested than Ananda or Rasam (though they are both great).

http://www.madina.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not being argumentative, but is 'authentic' a statement about the food or a platitude because Mandina is cheaper than somewhere like Rasam and less of a formal 'restaurant' setting?

I love both places, FWIW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Madina is definitely not authentic Indian, being Halal. I doubt there's any restaurant in Dublin that gives a real sense of Indian cuisine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

I had a terrible experience in Madina on Mary Street, bad enough that I won't be back. Takeaway customers were prioritised the night I was there to an insulting degree. When we did eventually receive our food (two main courses ordered, the first arrived very late to start with, the second arrived a FULL ten minutes after the first), one of the dishes had completely uncooked meat. This was the second, very late main course. We only got it brought to our table after enquiring. And we were seated right near the counter so they can't have forgotten about us. While we were waiting for our food, we watched takeaway order after takeaway order being filled. And our order was a very normal, everyday one, nothing complicated. Just awful. The other main course was nice but nothing particularly special and didn't make up for the shabby treatment we got. I complained formally and was offered a big discount off the next meal we had there but I had no desire to give them any more of my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anandas is one of the best Indians in the country - based in Dundrum.
    I've a friend from India who went there who was very impressed.
    Kinara is also excellent - great food and service.
    You'll pay above the odds for both, but are both well worth it if wanting a nice dinner option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not being argumentative, but is 'authentic' a statement about the food or a platitude because Mandina is cheaper than somewhere like Rasam and less of a formal 'restaurant' setting?

I love both places, FWIW.

Well having been to India, I'd say Mandina was more like most restaurants I'd eaten in there (albeit as being Halal, not typical of most restaurants there) whilst finding restaurants like Ananda and Rasam would be rarer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Kinara is an absolute joke with their prices. They charge 21 quid for some curries, then you've to pay for rice on top of that. It's a curry not lobsters and champagne! I think all starters are over a 10er. It's nice and all, but for those prices I think they're taking everyone for a ride all the way to the bank.

It's hard to get good Indian here at reasonable prices, a lot of the restaurants try to present themselves as fine dining, but it's just curry. You'll get a starter, main course, and 2 beers for a tenner in Brick Lane in London, and it's every bit of good or better as Kinara. I really wish Indian food was budget restaurant food here the way it is in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kinara in Clontarf is great, think there's one in Ranelagh as well but I haven't been there.
    Twee. wrote: »
    Konkan on Clanbrassil St always gets my vote for Indian!

These 2 are my favourite, I've been to Ananda and Rasman too, but I prefer Kinara (I've only been to the Ranelagh one) and Konkan. Kinara is a bit pricey, I wouldn't go very often, but it is quality. If I ever get a takeaway, I drive to Konkan.
    If you're in North Dublin, Cinnamon Garden in Ashbourne is really good too and worth visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Indie spice in swords is A1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kinara's early bird is very good value.

Okra Green out in Howth is quite nice too. Again, Pakistani/North Indian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The man running Anandas is now running Pickle so I'd go there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

RasTa wrote: »
    The man running Anandas is now running Pickle so I'd go there

Oh yes, Pickle is lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

spurious wrote: »
    Oh yes, Pickle is lovely.

Is it good? Few of us at work might go on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sat down in Kinara in Clontarf, great service. Couple next to us were greeted in turn by the various waiters (of which there are quite a few) how obviously served them on a weekly basis. Can't really get a better recommendation than that.

Re Pickle.
    Is it good? Few of us at work might go on Thursday

We enjoyed it immensely. Not cheap now, but very interesting dishes and flavours. Our various veggie/fish/meat preferring folk were all covered.

The only (very small!) gripe I had was that they served mixed naans to the table. I prefer to have my own plain naan to savage alone.

Advertisement