Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What discipline of Martial Arts should I try?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be interesting to try some martial arts. I dont know where to start. There is a Muay Thai place near where i live but it seems quite intense and all male.

Im female, tall, pretty fit and would be interested in learning some new skills and some self defence too. I admire the calmness and mental strength some martial arts seem to bring to people. I have practiced yoga for many years so see some similarities from a mental aspect.

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well my suggestion as always is to visit a few clubs in your area.

Anyone here could recommend BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai or the various Karate styles but until you visit your local clubs it won't mean a whole lot.

Sometimes you can just walk into a club and know that club isn't for you, then find another & everything just clicks, and that's the club for you.

Also don't be afraid to move clubs and try different styles.. And never go head long into expenses because a huge number of beginners drop out fairly quickly for one reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If you have practiced Yoga then I think you would enjoy BJJ.

I think that you will find a lot of clubs are very male orientated, but don't let this put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RoboRat wrote: »
    If you have practiced Yoga then I think you would enjoy BJJ.

thats a bit of a stretch ..pun intended.

But seriously, that is a bit of a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Parchment wrote: »
    I thought it might be interesting to try some martial arts. I dont know where to start. There is a Muay Thai place near where i live but it seems quite intense and all male.

Im female, tall, pretty fit and would be interested in learning some new skills and some self defence too. I admire the calmness and mental strength some martial arts seem to bring to people. I have practiced yoga for many years so see some similarities from a mental aspect.

Any suggestions?!

Try a few clubs in your area and see what fits. I used to tell everyone that posted here asking try Shotokan Karate. Then work changed and I needed to train somewhere other than my main dojo for a while and I realised how many poor clubs there are. How many people teach as if they dont understand what they are teaching etc.

So try a few clubs in your area and see what's good and what fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

Parchment wrote: »
    Any suggestions?!

Whereabouts are you looking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement