Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Dentist

• 02-02-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

So I need to go to the dentist. Fear and price have been putting me off (student). I never really had a fear of dentists but about a year and a half ago I was told I needed six fillings. However the dentist was awful, judgemental, gave out to me loads and I came away crying. So I still haven't got them and suspect I now need upwards of ten.

Looking for a dentist preferably in the Castletroy area but would be willing to travel who won't bite my head off for the state of my teeth (I know I shouldn't have let them go like this). Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I went to Dr Quilty in the Crescent Dental recently for an emergency and she was so lovely. I would be nervous about going to the dentist too and was so glad to have found her (I was in lots of pain and booked in the first place I found on Google so I was thrilled to get so lucky with her). She was very friendly and took lots of time with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ruth Murphy is in Castletroy, all her dentists are very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Eamonn Noonan in ellen street is great. Doesnt judge you at all and completely understands your fear. I was terrified for years and wouldnt go. Literally 12 years without going. Now I make appointments when needed and get whatever done when needed. Very nice fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I use http://www.bridgehousedental.ie
    Joe Callanan. Non-judgemental and very understanding. Have referred 2 people from work, who, like the OP, wouldn't be at all fond of the dentist.

As an aside.., I never got why some dentists are so bloody rude and condescending... I mean, if we all looked after our teeth like they tell us to (while almost giving out to us), there'd be no need for dentists!!!

They should be HAPPY we don't listen. ;P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ruth Murphy in Castletroy and Noelle at Racefield Dental at Father Russell Road.

My wife was at the latter she was absolutely amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Iarlaith Killian in Castletroy. My mother (who used to live in Limerick) still travels 120km for checkups. Really nice guy and a great dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

I'll second Joe Callanan (opp. Barringtons Hospital) as the best dentist I ever went to. Non judgemental, kind, & understood my total fear of anything dental. He explained all &was so patient with me, cant recommend him enough. Sorted me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Lots of good recommendations here. I got to Dr Annette O'Donovan at Alexandra Dental Practice on O'Connell Ave and am always happy with the service I receive. http://www.alexandradental.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Iang87 wrote: »
    Eamonn Noonan in ellen street is great. Doesnt judge you at all and completely understands your fear. I was terrified for years and wouldnt go. Literally 12 years without going. Now I make appointments when needed and get whatever done when needed. Very nice fella

+1 to Dr. Noonan.
    Like Iang87 I had not been to a dentist in a while (~10 years), and just this week had the second of two fillings put in by Dr. Noonan, who is a very competent dentist and a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Anyone recommend a sedation dentist in / around Limerick? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Noonan is fantastic; deserves all the business he has coming his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ABlur

Coill1 wrote:
    Anyone recommend a sedation dentist in / around Limerick? Thanks

BridgeHouse Dental,.Joe Callinan details as above provides this service. My OH is a very nervous dental patient and had this done. No fear anymore! As said by others Joe is highly recommended by us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Smiles on Thomas St. They're like a franchise I think, so nice, and bright in there too. Also, they've a special offer on for dental & clean for only 35euros which is amazing. They just took out 2 wisdom teeth for my girlfriend and they were amazing.

Literally cannot recommend enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ruth Murphys practice in Castletroy has lovely dentists. Ruth herself is a lady. I think its on the more expensive side of things but its a great practice - the receptionists there are really lovely too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

lockman wrote: »
    Iang87 wrote: »

+1 to Dr. Noonan.
    Like Iang87 I had not been to a dentist in a while (~10 years), and just this week had the second of two fillings put in by Dr. Noonan, who is a very competent dentist and a nice guy.

Another thumbs up.for eamonn noonan, hadn't been in over 10 years too.. it was Iang87 who initially recommended him to me.. if you're nervous he's the one to go with, very nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Had to move from Mr Noonan recently, lot of stuff being ignored and put on the long finger. Has a very good Hygienist working there but overall his standards are not what they used to be...just my opinion mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Derek in Old Qtr. dental very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Soulcrew09 wrote:
    Had to move from Mr Noonan recently, lot of stuff being ignored and put on the long finger. Has a very good Hygienist working there but overall his standards are not what they used to be...just my opinion mind.

Moving from Deirdre Toomey on the ground floor of his practise as well. For same sort of reasons. She seems to have taken on too much and just isn't paying attention to what she is doing. The waits in the surgery get longer by the visit, and have had to go back with work not done correctly a few times. Disappointed because I liked going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Help - I'm dying here - who's the best Please - I need to make a phone call urgently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

LB6 wrote: »
    Help - I'm dying here - who's the best Please - I need to make a phone call urgently

Joe Callinan
    Bridge House Dental

Details above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

vkid wrote: »
    Moving from Deirdre Toomey on the ground floor of his practise as well. For same sort of reasons. She seems to have taken on too much and just isn't paying attention to what she is doing. The waits in the surgery get longer by the visit, and have had to go back with work not done correctly a few times. Disappointed because I liked going there.

Something not right there for the last year or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Haven't made an app yet as have to find a time between work and college that works with one of these suggestions. Also, I have no problem with pain at the dentist - the fear comes from the judgment I've received in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I know they have to encourage good practices but if I'm crying in your chair because I'm about to lose a tooth to extraction, it's not really the time to tell me it's my own fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Haven't made an app yet as have to find a time between work and college that works with one of these suggestions. Also, I have no problem with pain at the dentist - the fear comes from the judgment I've received in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I know they have to encourage good practices but if I'm crying in your chair because I'm about to lose a tooth to extraction, it's not really the time to tell me it's my own fault!

I bawled like a baby in Ruth Murphys chair last time - she was so nice and kind to me. I didnt feel judged at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PSol

Lots of good recommendations here. I got to Dr Annette O'Donovan at Alexandra Dental Practice on O'Connell Ave and am always happy with the service I receive. http://www.alexandradental.ie/

Interestingly, I'm probably going to have to move from the above practice and dentist soon. Hygienist at the practice is great, but otherwise, 2 expensive courses of treatment in the last year have failed; also the office management side of the practice is very poor. While the staff are lovely etc. I don't understand how it's so popular or highly rated, or maybe I've just been very unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Noonan dental ( Ellen Street) are the best bet for an emergency ( or at weekends etc) .
    However, ( having been to a few over the years) their building is poor ( given the business and how profitable dentistry is - its shabby, - packed waiting room , small airless room at the back where I had a tooth removed on a very hot summer day with sweat rolling down my brow. Unpleasant. Ive had fillingsg there in the other ( front downstairs ) room - which were fine - female dentist, very calm, competent and relaxed ( which has the effect of relaxing the patient also.) Building, being old needs work. Much like my teeth, in fact...
    Have also been to Dr. Callinan, across from Barringtons - excellent and friendly pro, excellent reception staff, found the dental hygienist there somewhat of a trial , but maybe that was just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ruth Murphy in Castletroy and Noelle at Racefield Dental at Father Russell Road.

My wife was at the latter she was absolutely amazing!

I second Noelle. She's lovely. Great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've used Joe Callinan and found him excellent.

I've also been to Denis Kerrisk on O'Connell Ave several times and I have to say he's excellent also.

Totally painless experiences with both people by the way...even with pretty extensive procedures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I hadn't been to the dentist in almost a decade but had a terrible toothache. Ended up going to Racefield Dental and found them to be excellent and not condescending at all. Really put my mind at ease!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hooked wrote:
    As an aside.., I never got why some dentists are so bloody rude and condescending... I mean, if we all looked after our teeth like they tell us to (while almost giving out to us), there'd be no need for dentists!!!

Hooked wrote:
    They should be HAPPY we don't listen. ;P

They're just frustrated not having got enough points in the Leaving Cert to study medicine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 limerick dentis

PSol wrote: »
    Interestingly, I'm probably going to have to move from the above practice and dentist soon. Hygienist at the practice is great, but otherwise, 2 expensive courses of treatment in the last year have failed; also the office management side of the practice is very poor. While the staff are lovely etc. I don't understand how it's so popular or highly rated, or maybe I've just been very unlucky.

Hi, I would be really interested in hearing your personal circumstances with the treatment you received at the clinic. We take situations such as failed treatments and poor management very seriously and would very much appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on this.
    Thanks, annette

Advertisement