Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Pioneer Security

Options
  • 02-02-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Have legacy intruder alarm (unmonitored) that's giving me jip since install 10 years ago.  Company that installed it were taken over by Pioneer Security (Dublin) way back and I had it serviced once by the them on a time & materials basis. 
    Currently alarm disabled and want to get it back in action.
    Not sure if i should start from scratch e.g. keep wiring (replacing a last resort), change control panel although not sure I need to,  and sensors.  I have 17 window sensors, 2 doors and 2 wireless sensors + 2 PIRs .
    Assuming non-monitored (or self-monitored) what might be a good budget figure?
    Anyone have experience with Pioneer - recommend or avoid?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Get at least 3 different companies out to give you advice & a survey.
    You should be them provided with a specification/system design proposal.
    A few things to ask & look out for.

How long is the system guaranteed for?
    After that how much is a service contract? What does that contract cover? 1 call , 2 calls or unlimited. You should be looking for unlimited call outs here. If you are paying an annual contract to maintain the system you should not have to pay for additional call outs as well.
    If there is no contract how much is a call out & is that time restricted.

After that do your research on the type of system you are getting.
    Don't just go for the system the installer wants to install.
    Are you looking for monitoring or self monitoring?
    As above what are the fees & whats covered?
    How long is the contract for? Again you could be tied into a 2,3,4 or 5 year contract. Shop around & you could get monitoring & maintenance on a rolling contract instead.
    If self monitoring via IP & an app are there charges for the app to download & are there subscription charges? Most systems supply this for free but some charge quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Great advise thank you.
    I do get peeved off with maintenance charges - in so far as if something installed I expect to be covered by Warranty. Is 1 year free warranty the norm?  I could also ask if T&M is an option instead of yearly maintenance (or whatever the contract states) - any thoughts there?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd be looking for on the control equipment, panel. Keypad and bell, to be covered for 2 years.
    You don't have to take a service contract, so don't be bullied into one.

Advertisement