Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon on the atkins

• 02-02-2017 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

ive just started a high protein diet with the intention of loosing a couple of stone.

ive eaten 500g of salmon plus a few scrambled eggs for dinner,but am now wondering if this is ok.

is it ok to eat salmon(cooked in an oven bag for 30mins) on the atkins/high protein diet?

tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You should check the calorific content of what you've eaten...if you derive enough energy from the protein and fats then there's no reason for the body to stay in ketosis.. in simple terms, you need to fall short of calories to force the body to convert fat to energy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

exaisle wrote: »
    You should check the calorific content of what you've eaten...if you derive enough energy from the protein and fats then there's no reason for the body to stay in ketosis.. in simple terms, you need to fall short of calories to force the body to convert fat to energy...

It's a high fat diet, not a high protein diet. If OP eats more protein than his activity level requires his body will make glucose out of it and knock him out of ketosis.

Salmon with eggs seems like too much protein to me(unless you are training really hard) and you might do better with salmon with a large salad and a lash of fat be in butter/olive oil whatever.

You are talking circa 80% fat if you chose to be in ketosis.

You can remain in ketosis on a surplus, once the macros are right.

I'm guessing OP might want to read up a bit more if he considers Atkins a high protein diet; it's primarily a very high fat diet, moderate protein and very low carb.

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Something like that would work.

FWIW must people who think they are on keto diets are just on low carb diets, circa 80% is hard in the real world consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

yeah i think im eating way too much protein :(

had a couple of steaks earlier with 5 scrambled eggs an 2 boiled. :D

i will get reading that link you provided. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Eating protein and non processed food will generally result in weight loss unless your portion sizes are too big.

(Very very general I know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you are going to do it you should probably try and avoid the common pitfalls.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11476367-the-art-and-science-of-low-carbohydrate-living

That's good even if they are zealots.

TLDR if it's a change for health your shopping trolley and plate should be dominated by veg, moderate meat (you may as well have fatty cuts they are cheaper also) and next to no carbs but you can have a little fruit. You will also need to add salt to diet (if you eat clean unprocessed food) your body handles salt a little different when low in carbs.

Get to like olive oil and butter, and check the macros of your nuts some are high protein.

Hard to maintain in real world, best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

exaisle wrote: »
    in simple terms, you need to fall short of calories to force the body to convert fat to energy...
    Ketosis is nothing to do with a calorie deficit. your body can just as easily convert dietary fat to ketones
    ford2600 wrote: »
    You are talking circa 80% fat if you chose to be in ketosis.

I agree than fat should be the focus. But it doesn't need to be 80%, you can maintain ketosis on significantly lower amounts of fat that that.

I have read much about Atkins recently, I thought it was more a low carb diet than specifically a ketogenic det

Advertisement