Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old 1997 CD Rom game on laptop- any chance?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I came across an old 1997 CD ROM game and for the laugh I tried to play it on my Windows 10 HP Laptop, I got to the install screen and it said I didn't have DirectX graphics program so I downloaded it for free and tried again but still no joy, it will only get about 3 stages into the 5 stage install and then stop at the DirectX stage. Is there any hope at all of me being able to play this game or should I forget it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Newer versions of Windows do not play nice with games from that era, unfortunately. Id say your best bet might be to see if you can run an older version of Windows in a virtual machine (even Windows XP would be worth a shot) and see if you can play the game through that. It gets a bit messy but would be worth trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Is there any way to skip the Direct X install? From what I remember (Soldier of Fortune / Command and Conquer and the likes), you could just say you already have the compatible version.

You would have to run the game in compatibility mode, or through a virtual machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

me_irl wrote: »
    Is there any way to skip the Direct X install? From what I remember (Soldier of Fortune / Command and Conquer and the likes), you could just say you already have the compatible version.

You would have to run the game in compatibility mode, or through a virtual machine.

Thanks for the reply, how do you run something in compatibility mode? Bit of a technophobe here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Thanks for the reply, how do you run something in compatibility mode? Bit of a technophobe here!

Well, you'd need to have the application installed first.

If there's a shortcut on your desktop, right click, choose properties and there may be a "find target" link. That will open up the actual .exe location. Right click on the exe and there will be a tab named "Compatibility"

More here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what's the game?

• Advertisement
Advertisement