Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to sell a 131 diesel at the moment?

• 02-02-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

I have a 131 Seat Toledo Diesel and am toying with the idea of selling it and going to UK to pick up something different over there with the value of STG at the moment.

With the current 0% PCP deals etc is it possible to sell second hand at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

People may be reluctant to part with that amount of money on a private sale. If yours is the top spec rather than entry level and is in very good condition it will be easier to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

techie wrote: »
    I have a 131 Seat Toledo Diesel and am toying with the idea of selling it and going to UK to pick up something different over there with the value of STG at the moment.

With the current 0% PCP deals etc is it possible to sell second hand at the moment?

Diesels are a hard sell at the moment. Bad press and smelly noisy engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭techie

I would be willing to sell it a good price just to clear the finance on it. Its top spec for 131 and is in good condition, I suppose only one way to find out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It needs to be priced right. You need to figure out the cost of bringing a similar car in from the UK and undercut that price in order to tempt a buyer from going to the UK for the same car. Cheap PCP deals, weaker sterling have made the used car market here a bit unpredictable at present alright.

And diesels are not hard to sell, they haven't suddenly become unpopular overnight, the same way they haven't become smelly or noisy overnight. Toledos are not that popular but it will appeal to someone in the market for a diesel car at the right price.

Ok, might keep it so as not causing me any grief and very good on Diesel.
    Could not sell it for less than what one would cost in UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Ok, might keep it so as not causing me any grief and very good on Diesel.
    Could not sell it for less than what one would cost in UK.

You don't have to undercut it. Price it the same, or even a couple of hundred dearer. I wouldn't jump through the assorted hoops to import a car to save €250.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Don't you like your Toledo?

How much are you expecting to get for it?

What were you thinking of getting in the UK?h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Of course.

jsd1004 wrote: »

Only 65.5% of newly registered in January are diesel, a gigantic drop from 69.3% last year... Majority of the lost market value went to hybrids...

It does not seem like diesel won't sell :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What decade are you in? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

techie wrote:
    Ok, might keep it so as not causing me any grief and very good on Diesel. Could not sell it for less than what one would cost in UK.

Most people don't want the hassle of sourcing a car in the uk and VRTing it. Any model I have looked at goes for way more here.

A quick look at carzone will give you an idea of what it will sell for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

grogi wrote: »

Only 65.5% of newly registered in January are diesel, a gigantic drop from 69.3% last year... Majority of the lost market value went to hybrids...

It does not seem like diesel won't sell :]
    Probably a bit soon to jump to any conclusions just yet. The stats include imports and given the weather the number of imports in January are likely to be lower than in the spring/summer/autumn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

If we close our eyes real tight and keep wishing, some day that might come true.. but till then just keep repeating...

Bad press and smelly engine

Just try not to rock back and forward while doing it! :D

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Don't you like your Toledo?

How much are you expecting to get for it?

What were you thinking of getting in the UK?h

Yes I like it, just have an itch to change with the way Sterling is at the moment, sister in law got a car from the UK and saved 7k over same model here.

If I got 10k for it I would be happy.

Sterling has actually gained traction in recent months, it used to be .90p it's now .84p

Ok will probably not doing anything , just checking what others thought?
    Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say you will find it hard to sell privately, very hard.

Mainly due to the reasons others have mentioned.

Say you're looking for €13000 for your car. Its a massive risk for someone to hand this kind of cash over for a purchase which is basically buyer beware. If the car breaks down at the end of your street, you can refuse to refund them. Its a risk I'd guess many won't take.

If you had €13k to spend, you could well pick up a bargain and a great car, but most will opt for a dealer, where they know they have a bit of comeback.

The other side of this is pricing to sell. As some said, if its priced well you'll shift it. But if you price too well, and are a lot cheaper than the rest out there, people think there's something wrong with your car! Can't win.

I had experience of this a few years back when selling my 2010 Focus. I was the first owner, it was a dealer demo car. It was in great nick, just NCTd, nice mileage. Had it up on CZ and DD, and got 1 call in 2 months. Then reduced the price and got no more calls in another 2 months.

Eventually got fed up and traded in.

I just changed that car I bought a few weeks back, and didn't even bother advertising privately. Couldn't be arsed wasting a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So based on feedback just above..

Supposing a man had a car worth €25k.

The man wants to upgrade and will be going to the UK to buy from a dealer.

What's the best way for the man to sell his own car.

I'd say it would be almost impossible to sell a 25k car second hand privately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'd say it would be almost impossible to sell a 25k car second hand privately?

So it's basically try sell to a garage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A garage will want to buy it well below its market value from you. It's not impossible to sell a high value car privately, a lot of it can boil down to timing, the savings over buying from a garage and how in demand the car is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

djPSB wrote: »
    So based on feedback just above..

Supposing a man had a car worth €25k.

The man wants to upgrade and will be going to the UK to buy from a dealer.

What's the best way for the man to sell his own car.

1ixjtt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Ryath wrote: »
    1ixjtt.jpg

Disturbing. I won't sleep tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Ryath wrote: »
    1ixjtt.jpg

What if the man's car still had 12 month's manufacturer warranty left on it?

Not saying that's the case here, but a man is just wondering.

What if the man's car still had 12 month's manufacturer warranty left on it?

Not saying that's the case here, but a man is just wondering.

A manufacturers warranty is not worth diddly squat if the cause to engine/turbo failure is from a previous owners abuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

bazz26 wrote: »
    It needs to be priced right. You need to figure out the cost of bringing a similar car in from the UK and undercut that price in order to tempt a buyer from going to the UK for the same car. Cheap PCP deals, weaker sterling have made the used car market here a bit unpredictable at present alright.

And diesels are not hard to sell, they haven't suddenly become unpopular overnight, the same way they haven't become smelly or noisy overnight. Toledos are not that popular but it will appeal to someone in the market for a diesel car at the right price.

I would not agree that you need to under cut the UK equivalent price.

I always buy in the UK. But this surprises everyone I know. Most people wouldn't go to the UK.

It does need to be priced well compared to other irish based cars to sell but sure that makes sense. But no need cut the price to match uk in my opinion.

They were not popular new so probably not a lot of people looking for then 2nd hand. I would make sure to get name of more popular cars in ad so it gets the hits.....push the high spec early in the ad.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's not exactly a popular car either demand would be slack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

650Ginge wrote: »
    I would make sure to get name of more popular cars in ad so it gets the hits.....

If I'm looking for a Passat, Golf, Focus etc and a Toledo pops up I think what a plonker and continue looking at the car I searched for, IMO putting tags of other cars into the ad is up there with POA and I ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Del2005 wrote: »
    If I'm looking for a Passat, Golf, Focus etc and a Toledo pops up I think what a plonker and continue looking at the car I searched for, IMO putting tags of other cars into the ad is up there with POA and I ignore it.

I agree think ppl that do this are muppets. Like OP said if you want a Passat you want a Passat, not a Toledo

• Advertisement

Dia1988 wrote: »
    A manufacturers warranty is not worth diddly squat if the cause to engine/turbo failure is from a previous owners abuse!

As long as there is service history, such warranty it worth exactly as much as new engine/turbo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I just sold my 131 2.0L diesel within 3 days of advertising it, in fact would have sold it twice that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I just sold my 131 2.0L diesel within 3 days of advertising it, in fact would have sold it twice that weekend.

What type of car was it? What was it that made it sell, low price?

Advertisement