Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 508 v 2012 Accord

• 02-02-2017 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

So, after all the ****e, we've narrowed it down to two choices:
    1. The 508 Allure, 2.0 HDI. Example below:

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/peugeot/508/LR13RVX

2. Honda Accord GT:

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/honda/accord/LD62FNC

From my maths, the Accord will be about 500-1000e dearer, given the price difference, VRT etc.

We haven't test driven the Accord as yet (the car we were due to trade in was involved in a cash so it has delayed the process) but hoping to do so shortly to compare the two. A friend of mine has one and he's very happy with his. I've been a passenger a few times but never actually driven it, so we're hoping to take it for a few days.

Thoughts, opinions, recommendations etc all welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Accord is obviously a much older model. It feels like a big bus on the road. The interior is a button-fest. I'd still have one though!
    Just to note, the GT bit on the Accord is only visual stuff. There's an ES GT and an EX GT. The EX has a few nice extras over the ES but they are rarer.
    Also keep in mind fuel economy on the Accord isn't going to touch that of the 508.

It's a strange shortlist if you don't mind me saying. Are you sure you haven't missed something that's in between the 2 cars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Have you considered a Mazda 6?
    Perhaps it's betwen the 508 and Accord

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/mazda/6/OU63YGT

Have they sorted out their diesel engines yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Ive a honda accord 11 EX. Id definitely go for a EX if possible with all the extras (heated seats, elec mirrors (folding), leather interior, SAT NAV, sun roof..)

One thing to note with the accord, I dont think they are all that comfortable on long drives, but that could just be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Accord is obviously a much older model. It feels like a big bus on the road. The interior is a button-fest. I'd still have one though!
    Just to note, the GT bit on the Accord is only visual stuff. There's an ES GT and an EX GT. The EX has a few nice extras over the ES but they are rarer.
    Also keep in mind fuel economy on the Accord isn't going to touch that of the 508.

It's a strange shortlist if you don't mind me saying. Are you sure you haven't missed something that's in between the 2 cars?

I know what you mean. We're coming from a 08 Titanium X Mondeo and we'd a few problems with it; most notably, the ECU unit having to be replaced recently.

We don't want an Avensis or Insignia. We looked at a VRS but it's a little above our budget. I've test driven two Highline Passats. One, a 1.6 and the other, a 2.0 140bhp and I didn't really like either of them to be honest. I haven't been able to get my hands on a Sport edition, that wold be the missing link between the Accord and the 508.

We drove the 508 by chance and really liked it, it was the Active, the 2lte version, so we're hoping to get an Allure. Bringing one in seems to be the only option in this spec level. All the onES here are much too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I like the 508, the interiors of Peugeots since 2010 are very nice imo.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Ive a honda accord 11 EX. Id definitely go for a EX if possible with all the extras (heated seats, elec mirrors (folding), leather interior, SAT NAV, sun roof..)

One thing to note with the accord, I dont think they are all that comfortable on long drives, but that could just be me.

Interesting. The man I know loves his and reckons it's the most reliable car he's ever driven and he's done about 70,000 miles in 2 years.

Ya, the EX's are lovely! Probably a little out of the price range though, but we'll see!

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Have you considered a Mazda 6?
    Perhaps it's betwen the 508 and Accord

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/mazda/6/OU63YGT

Had a Mazda 6, a 06 2ltr one thst I loved that had an engine flaw and it cost me a good few quid! I know that's petty, but once bitten!

In saying thst, the new ones are serious looking cars! No idea of the reliability though.

I like the 508, the interiors of Peugeots since 2010 are very nice imo.

Ya, even the Active was very comfortable!

One concern; we've a 7 month old and at the bottom of the 508's seats there's an angled segment that fits to the back of the seat. I'm wondering if this will effect the Isofix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

What type of base is it?

I have an old Maxi Cosi isofix base that fitted to my old 407 which had a similar lip on the base cushion, I could try it on my 508 for you?

• Advertisement

bennya wrote: »
    What type of base is it?

I have an old Maxi Cosi isofix base that fitted to my old 407 which had a similar lip on the base cushion, I could try it on my 508 for you?

That would be great! Thanks! I think it's your standard Base, I'm. Not sure to be honest! It's not a Maxi Cosi base, but I'd say it's close enough! Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

My mechanic, a decent indie it has to be said, wants me to buy a Passat or an Accord. I've dealt with him for years. He was vehemently warned against a Volvo, as he reckons they cost a fortune to fix! Granted, buy a 2013 S60, with that kind of mileage, keeping it for 4 years, you'd have to hope that very little would go wrong!

The Optima, I've looked at briefly; a nice looking machine, but for some reason we like the devil we know, as in, the 508.

The biggest hassle at the minute, apart from the car we want to trade being involved in a crash, is that our Saturdays are completely taken up at the moment and we haven't gotten a chance to go and drive different models, apart from the aforementioned 508.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

80s Child wrote: »
    My mechanic, a decent indie it has to be said, wants me to buy a Passat or an Accord. I've dealt with him for years. He was vehemently warned against a Volvo, as he reckons they cost a fortune to fix! Granted, buy a 2013 S60, with that kind of mileage, keeping it for 4 years, you'd have to hope that very little would go wrong!

The Optima, I've looked at briefly; a nice looking machine, but for some reason we like the devil we know, as in, the 508.

The biggest hassle at the minute, apart from the car we want to trade being involved in a crash, is that our Saturdays are completely taken up at the moment and we haven't gotten a chance to go and drive different models, apart from the aforementioned 508.

Biggest issue with Volvo that you have to go pretty much for any parts to dealer. That's where the cost goes up bananas.

Mazda 6 is a weird one. Their diesel engines were always bad, last generation sufered a lot of issues. There was even law suit against mazda in UK. Though latest generation, I don't know. I tried Googled it, but mostly I woukd find issues still about old gen. One thing a lot of people complain about in current gen mazda is the noise isolation.

Your best bet would be 508. Peugeot still has that stigmata of French car, but stuff like 406, 407 were nice, if you get good one. Comfort and sound isolation were always great in these. 508 got good reviews, bur the most issue was price brand new compared to competition. Now second hand 508 look like fantastic bargains. Again, a lot of car for money.

Biggest issue with Volvo that you have to go pretty much for any parts to dealer. That's where the cost goes up bananas.

Mazda 6 is a weird one. Their diesel engines were always bad, last generation sufered a lot of issues. There was even law suit against mazda in UK. Though latest generation, I don't know. I tried Googled it, but mostly I woukd find issues still about old gen. One thing a lot of people complain about in current gen mazda is the noise isolation.

Your best bet would be 508. Peugeot still has that stigmata of French car, but stuff like 406, 407 were nice, if you get good one. Comfort and sound isolation were always great in these. 508 got good reviews, bur the most issue was price brand new compared to competition. Now second hand 508 look like fantastic bargains. Again, a lot of car for money.

My thoughts exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Maybe to look at but in terms of the electrics and the oily bits they lived up to the stigma

The optima comes with a long manufacturers warranty, granted this is mileage limited but if you get a low mileage 3-4 year old example you will still have a lot of warranty left over.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Maybe to look at but in terms of the electrics and the oily bits they lived up to the stigma

Kind of bull****.

Like any second hand car, you could buy a good one or bad one. With 406 and 407 you aither get a tank or the one that just constantly falling apart.
    I owned myself 406 and I put it as most reliable car I ever owned. It dod stupid millage and just had oil with break pads done. Even when I sold it to my friend, she drove it for ages and didn't realised nct was out for half a year. She didn't do a thing to it and went for nct - it passed again.
    Mechanic friend bought for pennies with dead clutch and a few minor issues. His wife loved it and drove ir for ages even with messed up clutch and she fell in love with it. Then he just scraped it.
    One thing for sure, I would go for 1.6 diesel engine though.

Kind of bull****.

Like any second hand car, you could buy a good one or bad one. With 406 and 407 you aither get a tank or the one that just constantly falling apart.
    I owned myself 406 and I put it as most reliable car I ever owned. It dod stupid millage and just had oil with break pads done. Even when I sold it to my friend, she drove it for ages and didn't realised nct was out for half a year. She didn't do a thing to it and went for nct - it passed again.
    Mechanic friend bought for pennies with dead clutch and a few minor issues. His wife loved it and drove ir for ages even with messed up clutch and she fell in love with it. Then he just scraped it.
    One thing for sure, I would go for 1.6 diesel engine though.
    The 406 is ok but suffers from many niggles, especially as they get older and some of the facelift versions are even prone to combustion. This happened to a neighbour of mine's 406 a few years back.

The 407 is just a rubbish car full stop. There seems to be a beep constantly going off on them for something or another. It also isn't the best car out there for comfort or to drive(definately behind the 406 too in this regard)

Now im not saying all peugeots are bad, nor am I tarring all french cars with the same brush. Renaults latest range for example is very decent and cars like the 308 aren't bad either even though peugeot still can't be @rsed about doing a proper rhd conversion on them.

Peugeots and most french cars from the late 90's to the mid/late 00's though were fairly cr@p imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Interesting. The man I know loves his and reckons it's the most reliable car he's ever driven and he's done about 70,000 miles in 2 years.

Ya, the EX's are lovely! Probably a little out of the price range though, but we'll see!

Agree have one 9 years (05 model) Ultra reliable on 305,000km now but seats are not the most comfortable.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The optima comes with a long manufacturers warranty, granted this is mileage limited but if you get a low mileage 3-4 year old example you will still have a lot of warranty left over.

We wouldn't be able to afford one from here, it would have to be an import and to he best of my knowledge, the warranty doesn't cross the water unfortunately!

John, Shadow and Trap.

I've never known anything more that divides opinions more than cars! I've a brother in law who works in a Peugeot dealership and he hates VAG! He reckons that every time he trades one in, he has to factor in the water pump etc into the trade.

My mechanic won't hear of me buying a Volvo and has warned me of the implications of buying a Peugeot! He wants me to buy a Passat! Parts are cheap, easy to fix etc.

I had completely written off the 508 after driving one of the 1.6s. After driving the 2ltr and really taking it apart, it ticks all our boxes and is coming in in our price range! Unless I can get my hands on a Passat Sport edition to see what it's like, I think we're heading the way of the 508! Unless my better half drives the Honda and loves it, as it'll be her primary vehicle, I'm just the lacky trying to sort it out, it'll be the 508 of say.

Thanks for all the help folks! Very much appreciated and it's brought up a lot of good points for us to look at!

We wouldn't be able to afford one from here, it would have to be an import and to he best of my knowledge, the warranty doesn't cross the water unfortunately!

Hyundai warranty does anyway, I'm pretty sure the Kia one does too.

Hyundai warranty does anyway, I'm pretty sure the Kia one does too.

Jesus, does it? I know the Peugeot one doesn't. The top spec in the Optima does look nice.

Jesus, they're expensive here! Massive difference in the price across the pond. I haven't checked the VRT as yet and I've never driven one or know anyone who has one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

trabpc wrote: »
    Agree have one 9 years (05 model) Ultra reliable on 305,000km now but seats are not the most comfortable.

I agree in the 7th generation seats but the 8th generation seats were very comfortable. I had cars from both generations. Actually, I recently changed to an A6 and if you ask me, the Accord iDTEC was more comfortable. Almost like as if I used to sit 'in' the Accord but 'on' the Audi.....if that makes any sense....

Such a pity that they discontinued the Accord, although I've heard that there are some talks of introducing it again. Depends on the demand from the UK. Not sure if that's true though.

LoI king at reviews on the Optima, they're not great to be honest. Anyone here have any dealings with one? The warranty aspect is appealing though. Going to test drive one on Wednesday to see for myself.

Reviews on the Accord are put exactly stellar either to be fair!

You'll find the car mags will always favour certain brands.

Reviews on the Accord are put exactly stellar either to be fair!

You'll find the car mags will always favour certain brands.

Ya, that's fair. And sure look how the Multipla scored everywhere!

Multipla was an awesome yoke. Slept 4 comfortably in one of them in Electric Picnic years ago.

• Advertisement

That would be great! Thanks! I think it's your standard Base, I'm. Not sure to be honest! It's not a Maxi Cosi base, but I'd say it's close enough! Thanks again!

Sorry about the delay on this, but I tried it out yesterday. As on the 407, the isofix anchors are quite high up, you could easily miss them when exploring the gap in the seats. The base clips in no problem once you know what you're aiming for though.

Will be a bit of a pain if you need to remove the Isofix base regularly, but if not I'd have no concerns :)

Sorry about the delay on this, but I tried it out yesterday. As on the 407, the isofix anchors are quite high up, you could easily miss them when exploring the gap in the seats. The base clips in no problem once you know what you're aiming for though.

Will be a bit of a pain if you need to remove the Isofix base regularly, but if not I'd have no concerns :)

Thanks for that!

So, we drove the Optima and we had the Accord for a few days.

2014 Optima 1.7 Platinum: We both liked the inital look of the car and the panoramic roof is very cool! It felt comfortable enough, the seats were leather and were okay. The dash finish inside felt a little dated. The rearview camera in the mirror is a nice touch, assisted by the parking sensors.
    Performance wise, it was fine. We drove it for about 5-6 miles out and back. He just let us off in the car to gather our own opinion of it. It cruised along nicley, albeit, working a little hard for the speed we were doing. We felt the 1.7 was a little small for a car of its size.

Overall, it was grand, but for the money we're spending, it didn't really staisfy our needs.

2009 Accord 2.2 Gt: This is my mechanic's car and he gave us the loan of it for 3 days. i've been in it a few times but it was my wife's first time.

I let her drive it without me saying a word, as I wanted her to give her opinion, without mine in her head! She immeadiately liked the interior, particularly the dash layout. The GT spec is half leather and lacks some of the extras of the EX spec, but she like the feel of it. We both found the ride a little hard compared to both the Mondeo (her previous car) and and the Optima, but in saying that, it gave a lot of feel and she felt that it was 'a real man's car' compared to the Optima.

Styling wise, yes the Accord is an older model, but it still feels fresh, for us anyway! We were impressed with the drive and with the ful EX spec, I'd expect it to be a very comfortable car.

So, we're trying to organise a test drive of the 508 Allure this week to see the comparison. My mechanic, whose Accord we were driving, feels that they cannot be faulted. His has 138,000 miles on the clock and to be fair, it's very tight. It failed the NCT recently on a shock and after 14,000 miles of ownership, he's had to put nothing into it, bar the regulars, which is a fair statement!

The road my partner will be driving on for her 110km total commute isn't the best and we're wondering how the 508 would stand up to the hardship? Interesting times ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

French cars are always comfortable but I'd say if your driving on poor surfaces make sure the car doesn't sit on a lowered sports suspension and large wheels with low profile tyres. That combo will make the ride very crashy on poor surfaces and you may end up losing a tyre or rim occasionally, not to mind a bad back.

bazz26 wrote: »
    French cars are always comfortable but I'd say if your driving on poor surfaces make sure the car doesn't sit on a lowered sports suspension and large wheels with low profile tyres. That combo will make the ride very crashy on poor surfaces and you may end up losing a tyre or rim occasionally, not to mind a bad back.

True. That's why I wouldn't be gone on the GT version of the Accord. Much too stiff and you can feel every bump. In saying that, if I was in the UK, cruising up and down the motorway, it'd be ideal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I drive a 2011 volvo s60, d3 engine 163 bhp. Have it 3 years next month , only have had scheduled services and tyres in the 3 years. Very comfortable car. Bought it with 45k km on clock, put up 70k km on it so 115k km now.
    2 previous cars were a c class merc and last one was a 320d BMW. Both of which cost a fortune with large repair jobs, turbo in BMW and were not as comfortable or economical as volvo.
    Often wondered why they are not " liked" OH who doesn't drive prefers it as a passenger over the 2 previous cars too, citing comfort.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    I drive a 2011 volvo s60, d3 engine 163 bhp. Have it 3 years next month , only have had scheduled services and tyres in the 3 years. Very comfortable car. Bought it with 45k km on clock, put up 70k km on it so 115k km now.
    2 previous cars were a c class merc and last one was a 320d BMW. Both of which cost a fortune with large repair jobs, turbo in BMW and were not as comfortable or economical as volvo.
    Often wondered why they are not " liked" OH who doesn't drive prefers it as a passenger over the 2 previous cars too, citing comfort.

They're a beautiful looking car. My mechanic is very apprehensive towards them as he feels they cost a fortune to fix, which another poster put down to genuine Volvo parts, I could be wrong here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I was thinking of buying a 2013 one too but my mechanic said the same thing.....apparently heavy on suspension parts but not sure if it's true or not. Didn't want to chance putting my own money into it anyway.

Talked to this man. A one owner car, who bought the car from them new. He's an elderly gentleman and bought a new 508 off them, trading in this one obviously.

Full service history and HPI report, along with a year's warranty. I just emailed him to see if he'll take our 08 Mondeo. It was involved in a tip recenlty at a small roundabout where a woman didn't realise it was a roundabout! Nothing serious, just a new front wing and the side was sprayed.

I emailed him telling him all this and I'm just waiting on a response! Here's hoping!

Any news? I see the car is now not on the site :)

B

• Advertisement

Any news? I see the car is now not on the site :)

B

Good man! Ya, I put a small deposit down on the 508 and I'm due to go up tomorrow to collect it.

Now, my problem is that my mechanic can't come with me as he's up to his eyes with work. I was planning on him driving down my car and me bringinger down the new car, but that's not coming to fruition it seems and tomorrow is the only day that I can go!

So, I'm thinking of getting the train to Dublin and then onto Belfast and getting an independent mechanic, I'm not sure of the protocol here, to give the car a once over, just so everything checks out.

Any boards' mechanics in Belfast tomorrow want to earn a few quid??

So, I rang another garage in the town, Mullan's I think, and I asked would he be able to look at a car I was buying in the town as an independent observer. He asked what car I was buying and who I was buying it off. I told him the car, but I left out the name of the dealership as I told him he'd probably sell me put! Eventually I told him it was Bell's and he said there was no point as anything they'ed sell would be good to go and that they give a comprehensive warranty!

So I headed off this morning with the aul buck, my trusty sidekick! Arrived to see the 508 gleaming and ready to be test driven. I brought the car out the road with the sales rep, Ian, sitting in the front beside me. I asked him a few questions and he was fairly succinct in his answers. I found this strange and told him so and he just laughed saying that the car sold itself! I actully thought this was refreshing, that he wasnt giving me the hard sell. Obviously, I'd a small deposit on the car so he probably felt he really didn't have to!

Opening up the car on the open road I felt a slight tremor in the steering whell once we went abover 75mph. He commented that it must be the tracking / balance and that he would leave it to their mehcnaics to get sorted when we came back. I was happy with that answer. He didn't try to BS.

When we arrived back, he let us give the car the once over on our own. Now, neither of us are mechanics or anything, but everything looked good. A small, minute dent on the rear driver's door and a little stain on the back seat. We were being OTT if I'm honest, but I thought I might get a few pound out of him!

Once we had finished, we went inside to Ian and discussed our findings. He said that there'll be a certain amount of "wear" given that it is 2nd hand. I said that since I didn't haggle on the original price, and given our findings, he'd give me a full tank of diesel and a bit for the car we drove up in, as that was a bit low! He laughed and obliged with the full tank, but the Alfa was left! He then took the car to the mechanics, their's are off site, and returned 25/30 minutes later. We then sat into the car again and this time it was perfect! I couldn't fault it!

Sitting down to pay, I asked him for a copy of the HPI and he duly obliged. He went through the warranty and I asked him how this would work, given that I'm 4 hrs from them. The warranty is with M.I.S. and that if anything goes wrong, that I'm to go to my local Peugeot dealer and that they'll consult with them to fix the problem! I was very satisfied with this and we went through aspects that were/were not covered.

When all was sorted, I paid using two laser cards, splitting the bill as I was told by friend that works in AIB, that the max is probably 5k. So in total, we paid €9,640 for the car, plus 40e for diesel and 20e for food. 9700 for a 2013 508 Allure , with 46,000 miles. Vrt is coming in at 3k (from my calculations, which I did a few different times and the max amount was that so I'm saying 3), so 12,700 in total. A price we're both very happy with, provided all is good of course!

In dealing with Bell's, I found Ian very straight and very easy to deal with. When he returned after getting the car balanced, he didn't just say it was done, he wanted me to bring it out again to make sure the issue was sorted!

I drove the car home and gave it a bit of welly, with the aul fella flashing me fron behind to slow down! It was just on the motorway and I wanted to make sure the tremor was definitely gone! It drove like a dream. There's new tyres all round and on some of the winding roads coming down, it didn't miss a step!

So I'm home a very satisfied customer, touch wood! Thanks to all for their opinions and 2cs worth. Very much appreciated!

Nice result!

Yay! Pics please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

So, I rang another garage in the town, Mullan's I think, and I asked would he be able to look at a car I was buying in the town as an independent observer. He asked what car I was buying and who I was buying it off. I told him the car, but I left out the name of the dealership as I told him he'd probably sell me put! Eventually I told him it was Bell's and he said there was no point as anything they'ed sell would be good to go and that they give a comprehensive warranty!

So I headed off this morning with the aul buck, my trusty sidekick! Arrived to see the 508 gleaming and ready to be test driven. I brought the car out the road with the sales rep, Ian, sitting in the front beside me. I asked him a few questions and he was fairly succinct in his answers. I found this strange and told him so and he just laughed saying that the car sold itself! I actully thought this was refreshing, that he wasnt giving me the hard sell. Obviously, I'd a small deposit on the car so he probably felt he really didn't have to!

Opening up the car on the open road I felt a slight tremor in the steering whell once we went abover 75mph. He commented that it must be the tracking / balance and that he would leave it to their mehcnaics to get sorted when we came back. I was happy with that answer. He didn't try to BS.

When we arrived back, he let us give the car the once over on our own. Now, neither of us are mechanics or anything, but everything looked good. A small, minute dent on the rear driver's door and a little stain on the back seat. We were being OTT if I'm honest, but I thought I might get a few pound out of him!

Once we had finished, we went inside to Ian and discussed our findings. He said that there'll be a certain amount of "wear" given that it is 2nd hand. I said that since I didn't haggle on the original price, and given our findings, he'd give me a full tank of diesel and a bit for the car we drove up in, as that was a bit low! He laughed and obliged with the full tank, but the Alfa was left! He then took the car to the mechanics, their's are off site, and returned 25/30 minutes later. We then sat into the car again and this time it was perfect! I couldn't fault it!

Sitting down to pay, I asked him for a copy of the HPI and he duly obliged. He went through the warranty and I asked him how this would work, given that I'm 4 hrs from them. The warranty is with M.I.S. and that if anything goes wrong, that I'm to go to my local Peugeot dealer and that they'll consult with them to fix the problem! I was very satisfied with this and we went through aspects that were/were not covered.

When all was sorted, I paid using two laser cards, splitting the bill as I was told by friend that works in AIB, that the max is probably 5k. So in total, we paid €9,640 for the car, plus 40e for diesel and 20e for food. 9700 for a 2013 508 Allure , with 46,000 miles. Vrt is coming in at 3k (from my calculations, which I did a few different times and the max amount was that so I'm saying 3), so 12,700 in total. A price we're both very happy with, provided all is good of course!

In dealing with Bell's, I found Ian very straight and very easy to deal with. When he returned after getting the car balanced, he didn't just say it was done, he wanted me to bring it out again to make sure the issue was sorted!

I drove the car home and gave it a bit of welly, with the aul fella flashing me fron behind to slow down! It was just on the motorway and I wanted to make sure the tremor was definitely gone! It drove like a dream. There's new tyres all round and on some of the winding roads coming down, it didn't miss a step!

So I'm home a very satisfied customer, touch wood! Thanks to all for their opinions and 2cs worth. Very much appreciated!
    Sounds like a good transaction.

Is that the 2.0. Supposedly the 508 is a very under-rated car as it followed the 407 which had a lot of gremlins. No great issues with it at all. Very comfy I'd imagine.

Yay! Pics please :)

That could be above my IT capabilities! Give me another day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

What's the 508 GT like with the 200bhp 2.2 diesel engine? Are they reliable? Thirsty? The spec is very good on them.

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Sounds like a good transaction.

Is that the 2.0. Supposedly the 508 is a very under-rated car as it followed the 407 which had a lot of gremlins. No great issues with it at all. Very comfy I'd imagine.

Ya, the 2.0 Allure. It's very comfortable in my opinion. The electric seats with the lumber support are nice. Now, mine doesn't have the memory settings on the seats which would have been very handy!

Happy so far!

Technique wrote: »
    What's the 508 GT like with the 200bhp 2.2 diesel engine? Are they reliable? Thirsty? The spec is very good on them.

No idea to be honest. I found one on DD before, in Cork I think. I haven't seen the reviews, but the spec is very nice!

Technique wrote: »

Rare as hens teeth here. Only sow two GT models with 2.0 163hp. Those have a bit nicer specs. Actually one of them is in Limerick, but with really horrible exhaust.

A lot of owner reviews praise 508 for being as good as germans, but cheaper and more toys. Though as always there are some issues with electronics in some cars. Pugs are like this: or you buy a tank that just never gives up, or you buy a crybaby, that just wont stop annoying you with its gremlins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement