Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots

Options
  • 02-02-2017 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for advice on getting hiking boots.

Basically needs boots, both myself and the girlfriend. We are typically hiking on trails. Some off trail but it's all very basic. Currently wearing trainers(I know the shame).

We are totally newbies, and go for roughly 2-3 hour hikes once a week.

Recent treks are, keepers hills, grave of the leinstermen, ballygargaran loop(further up the mountain towards the top) and 12 o clock hills

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

From what you describe you don't need boots.

Hiking shoes is what you need, Merrell Moab or Phoenix are what I use. Basically they are similar to the runners you currently use, but more rugged, waterproof, more grip, toe protection, etc. But without adding too much extra weight.

Boots just add a lot of unnecessary weight and are much more tiring on the feet. Really only needed if going way off trail, wading through mud, etc. And even then their usefulness is questionable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Boots are only slightly heavier than shoes and unless you are infirm you will not notice it. Boots support the ankle, even stepping over something as mundane as a branch you could go over on it and require mountain rescue to come get you. If you are walking through grass you feet will also get wet in shoes, I know this as I wear them every day walking on grass. Also if you are carrying a heavy load the boots support you. You don't need 250 euro steel cap boots. My boots recently fell apart and after multiple repair jobs I have decided to get another pair. I didn't want to spend over 100 euro as I plan on getting a decent pair for proper mountains in the future. I ordered http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/hi-tec-mens-altitude-hike-waterproof-hiking-boots-brown.html off amazon as they are cheaper. I will let you know if they are any use when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bk wrote: »
    Boots just add a lot of unnecessary weight and are much more tiring on the feet. Really only needed if going way off trail, wading through mud, etc. And even then their usefulness is questionable IMO.
    That's your own personal opinion, to be honest, not an incontrovertible fact.

I don't know what kind of walking you do on a regular basis, but if I were to wear trail runners on 99% of the hikes I do, even wearing gaiters, I'd have soaking wet feet every week, not something I relish.

If you spend most of your time on forest tracks then that's a different matter, although even then I'd go for a lightweight boot over runners any day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pretty much hiked every trail in Ireland. All over Wicklow, up and down Lug, Carrauntoohil, The Mourne's etc. a couple of times a year. Done multi day hikes in Norway and Poland. All in hiking shoes.

I knew it would be a controversial opinion! :)

FrostyJack, as I mentioned in another thread, I believe the idea of "ankle support" is wrong. I've twisted my ankle or came close multiple times in even "light weight" boots and even more so in heavy boots. Not one twist since changing to hiking shoes. I honestly believe "ankle support" just makes it more likely you will have a twist. I know it seems contradictory, but your ankle is designed to bend and react naturally to movement, after all humans evolved to walk large distances for hundreds of thousands of years, barefoot and carrying heavy loads. By comparison hiking boots where you tie up and restrain your ankle just makes it weaker and less flexible and more difficult to respond to your foot suddenly going from under you.

As for carrying very heavy loads, why? Seriously this is just more old fashioned hiking advice, carry the kitchen sink. Try reducing the gear you bring to just the essentials, without risking safety obviously and try and get lightweight, multi-purpose gear.

4 days hiking across the mountains of Norway with just 12kg on my back, including tent, etc.

Anyway it doesn't apply to the OP as he is just doing 2 - 3 hour hikes and mostly on trails. A person doing that really doesn't need boots.

As for getting wet, you can get waterproof hiking shoes. Sure sometimes I still get wet, but I did in hiking boots too, didn't really seem to make a great deal of difference on changing. A good pair of Merino Wool socks help greatly and a fresh pair in the bag for the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a very interesting point, bk. I've been toying with buying quality gore-tex shoes, but I was convinced it wasn't for me. I almost always go off-trail or hike in areas where there are no trails. There isn't a hike that I don't go into the muck / bog at least 30cm (so well over the top of even a tall boot). I have heavy Gore-Tex Bergaus boots that are sound. But very heavy. Doesn't bother me, but I'm curious about shoes. I do have good gaiters.

Also I've genetically weak and narrow ankles. They do seem far stronger in the last few years because of extensive hiking on rough ground and heavy weight lifting, although it doesn't make much sense as there's no muscle in your ankles. I do hike alone mostly and breaking my ankle / leg is by far the most serious and realistic danger I could find myself in

You'd still recommend shoes for me?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    You'd still recommend shoes for me?

Yup, I certainly think it is well worth giving a try.

I do much the same, though I admit I rarely hike alone. But wading through 30cm of muck, sure yup, all the time of course.

You can pick up a pair of Merrell Phoenix from Amazon for about €50, so it is pretty low cost to give it a try and if you find it isn't for you, you still end up with a great pair of day to day walking shoes.

I'm currently using Merrell Moabs FST which are fantastic, but almost double the price.

Of course I'd try some easier trails the first time or two to get use to them, just like you would any new boots. They don't really need wear in time like new boots typically do, but more just to get use to the change in footwear and weight.

You will get wet sometimes, but then I did too when wearing big boots too, the bogs in Ireland are just too damn deep and wet for anything less then waders! Marino wool socks are your friends :)

I think you might be genuinely surprised at how liberating reducing the weight on your feet is.

BTW if hiking alone, perhaps it is worth investing in a Spot satellite communication device:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spot-GEN3-Satellite-Tracker-Messenger/dp/B00C8S8S4W/ref=pd_cp_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HTN9XVMG11ZDZF16KEMC

Merrel Moab FST Gore-tex bought from Amazon for £74.99 incl free UK shipping (plus Parcel Motel costs)

Can't wait now, thanks bk for the advice :D

Merrel Moab FST Gore-tex bought from Amazon for £74.99 incl free UK shipping (plus Parcel Motel costs)

Can't wait now, thanks bk for the advice :D

Wow that is a great deal for those! I paid more then £100 for them back in November.

Looking forward to seeing your Ioniq in the car parks around Wicklow soon :)

I've got that exact same shoe for general guntering around in and the occasional stroll around Glendalough, say. Nice shoes, certainly, but I know from experience, i.e. forgetting my boots one day!, that they're no match for my Alt-Berg boots in wet, boggy, i.e. normal, conditions in Irish mountains, for me at least.

Looking forward to seeing your Ioniq in the car parks around Wicklow soon :)

That's not gonna happen. On my man-days out in the Wicklow mountains, I'll be driving my Porsche. For as long as petrol shall exist :D

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I've got that exact same shoe for general guntering around in and the occasional stroll around Glendalough, say. Nice shoes, certainly, but I know from experience, i.e. forgetting my boots one day!, that they're no match for my Alt-Berg boots in wet, boggy, i.e. normal, conditions in Irish mountains, for me at least.

Even with the Outdoor Designs gaiters, Alun?

That's not gonna happen. On my man-days out in the Wicklow mountains, I'll be driving my Porsche. For as long as petrol shall exist :D

Boooo.... haha :D

Even with the Outdoor Designs gaiters, Alun?
    In my experience, even if you have gaiters on, the overlap between the bottom of the gaiter and the top of the shoe is smaller than with boots on so it's easier for water to get in. Even with boots on, I get the occasional seepage if I step unexpectedly into a wet bog hole for example as the water forces itself up between the gap. It doesn't matter how waterproof the shoe/boot itself is if the wet stuff can get in over the top.

Pretty much hiked every trail in Ireland. All over Wicklow, up and down Lug, Carrauntoohil, The Mourne's etc. a couple of times a year. Done multi day hikes in Norway and Poland. All in hiking shoes.

I knew it would be a controversial opinion! :)

FrostyJack, as I mentioned in another thread, I believe the idea of "ankle support" is wrong. I've twisted my ankle or came close multiple times in even "light weight" boots and even more so in heavy boots. Not one twist since changing to hiking shoes. I honestly believe "ankle support" just makes it more likely you will have a twist. I know it seems contradictory, but your ankle is designed to bend and react naturally to movement, after all humans evolved to walk large distances for hundreds of thousands of years, barefoot and carrying heavy loads. By comparison hiking boots where you tie up and restrain your ankle just makes it weaker and less flexible and more difficult to respond to your foot suddenly going from under you.

As for carrying very heavy loads, why? Seriously this is just more old fashioned hiking advice, carry the kitchen sink. Try reducing the gear you bring to just the essentials, without risking safety obviously and try and get lightweight, multi-purpose gear.

4 days hiking across the mountains of Norway with just 12kg on my back, including tent, etc.

Anyway it doesn't apply to the OP as he is just doing 2 - 3 hour hikes and mostly on trails. A person doing that really doesn't need boots.

As for getting wet, you can get waterproof hiking shoes. Sure sometimes I still get wet, but I did in hiking boots too, didn't really seem to make a great deal of difference on changing. A good pair of Merino Wool socks help greatly and a fresh pair in the bag for the end of the day.

I can't agree with you here at all. As I stated I wear hiking shoes everyday and do at least 7km everyday (walking dogs mainly) and even on the slightest bit of grass the bottom of trousers get wet and water gets in to my feet which makes things miserable. If walking on bone dry trail, yeah you would be fine but why limit yourself if only buying one pair of shoes. Many times I have gone out on mountains with them when I want to explore rougher terrain and been limited to where I could go safely.

As for the ankle support being more dangerous I find a weird conclusion. Is it just a marketing ploy? Every week mountain rescue teams post about call outs for "lower leg injury", which almost always is due to people going over on ankle for not wear boots, generally novices. You can build up your ankle strength to limit the risk, for example people that do ultras I wouldn't expect to sprain an ankle walking to the shops, but a novice or relative novice I wouldn't advise someone to go without the support. I have never strained or sprained my ankle in my adult life but I have gone over on it while in the mountains and were it not for the boots I would have been in trouble especially as like unkel, I do be on my own mainly.

People walk mountains in their bare feet, it can be done but I wouldn't enjoy it or recommend it. If you can have both then I would recommend getting both but if only had a choice of one type of foot wear (for hiking) it would be boots.

I have a pair of Merrell Hilltop Bolt and they were fantastic but eventually began to leak after a year of high mileage. Then I couldn't find them again so I got Merrell Moab Gore-tex and they were lighter and cooler but wore down in less than 6 months with holes all over the uppers, so much that I have been back in the Hilltops the last 2 months with wet feet every day. I also have a pair of North Face Hedgehog but they are not gore-tex version, they are super light but let water in every angle (bought for desert trail hikes).

Frank I walk 10 to 12km a day and 20+ on weekends when I go hiking. Hike all year round in all conditions.

I'm not saying I never get wet, of course I do! But I did too in big heavy boots, as both you and Alun admit you do too in your posts! The reality of hiking in Ireland is that you are going to get wet, pretty much no matter what you do. You can't fear getting wet, you shouldn't bother hiking if you do. The reality of 30cm deep bog is that you are going to get wet short of wearing waders.

But I honestly don't feel I get wet in my shoes more frequently then I did in my heavy boots. And I feel the trade off of lightness, comfort and speed is well worth maybe the odd extra time.

Also I don't think it is marketing, it is simply my own experience. I went from hiking in big heavy leather boots, to mid height Moab type boots to Moab type shoes. And twisting has gone down and comfort gone up as I went lighter. I admit I also tried even lighter shoes from Salmon, hiking runners, but I admit they were on too light side for Irish conditions.

I also have to say the bringing up Mountain Rescue is a bit of scaremongering! And that it is those sort of comments, that unfortunately turn so many people off hiking! I'm not saying anyone should place themselves in danger or have inadequate gear for the hike they are trying, but it is a bit much to be bringing up mountain rescue over foot wear choices!

A reminder that the OP is looking for shoe choices for 2 - 3 hour hikes on trails. No one needs boots for that! Good quality hiking shoe is perfectly fine.

Unkel on the other hand does more off trail stuff like myself. Maybe he won't like the shoes and prefer the boots, but there is little harm or danger in an experienced and thoughtful hiker trying out new gear sensibly.

I'm not saying I never get wet, of course I do! But I did too in big heavy boots, as both you and Alun admit you do too in your posts!
    I never said anything of the sort, I said that very occasionally a small bit of water gets squeezed up between my gaiters and in and over my boot if I step in a deep, wet bog hole or similar, not enough to make my feet wet to any degree. Under normal conditions in Irish mountains my feet remain perfectly dry in my boots.

As I said, on a couple of occasions I've been forced to wear my Merrel shoes on walks for various reasons, and I found it a deeply unsatisfactory experience not to be repeated.

I'll give it a try but I fear I'll have the same experience as Alun. That's that, expectations low, can't be disappointed :)

Wanted hiking shows for some time anyway, and got waterproof highly recommended shoes for not a lot of money. If I can't use them for my usual hikes, I'll use them for walks / light dry hikes with the kids.

I'm not saying I never get wet, of course I do! But I did too in big heavy boots, as both you and Alun admit you do too in your posts!

I never said this either, the only way my feet get wet in my boots is from sweat or plunging into bog/river, I tend to avoid the latter so never really a problem.
    I also have to say the bringing up Mountain Rescue is a bit of scaremongering! And that it is those sort of comments, that unfortunately turn so many people off hiking! I'm not saying anyone should place themselves in danger or have inadequate gear for the hike they are trying, but it is a bit much to be bringing up mountain rescue over foot wear choices!

I was pointing it out not scaremongering. It is a fact. I can't remember if anyone on here is still in MR but they will confirm the mechanism of injury is from lack of ankle support. I wouldn't send someone into mountains without giving them the facts for fear of scaring them off. It is like saying it scaremongering to warn someone wearing a t-shirt about hypothermia.
    A reminder that the OP is looking for shoe choices for 2 - 3 hour hikes on trails. No one needs boots for that! Good quality hiking shoe is perfectly fine.

The time or distance has no bearing what footwear is suitable, it is terrain and conditions. People hike in wellies for 9 hours or in five finger shoes, I couldn't do that, each to their own and all that. The general consensus is ankle boots for all terrain, shoes for paths or light terrain.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I can't remember if anyone on here is still in MR but they will confirm the mechanism of injury is from lack of ankle support.
    I'm not in MR, but I do know a good few of them through another related activity, and whilst it's true that the lion's share of injuries are lower limb related, usually ankles, I don't know of any statistics that relate these incidents to footwear choice.

Most such injuries occur at the end of the day when people are descending and tired, so I suspect that may be a more important contributory factor, along with others such as being generally unfit or just not paying attention to where they're walking.

For what it's worth, I also think the ankle support aspect of wearing boots is a bit of a red herring. I wear the top of my boots relatively loose, and if I really lost my footing I'd stand a good chance of twisting my ankle regardless. For me it's more about keeping my feet warm and dry than anything else.

Got the Merrel Moab FST and took them for a brisk 5km walk this morning to break them in. Very comfortable. A gore-tex (fully waterproof yet breathable) shoe highly recommended from here and from elsewhere, from a reputable make, for £77 (€94 incl all shipping), that's a steal!

Looking forward to try them with my gaiters in one of my more normal hikes, see if they can handle it. Even if not, they'll be well used for more sedate on path hikes / walks with the kids. I had been thinking of buying shoes like this for quite some time, and I'm glad bk's advice in particular, nudged me to pull the trigger :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Totally agree that wearing boots for ankle support is a red herring. I typically wear boots hiking during the winter months or in adverse weather purely for the warmth and comfort.

But during the summer months, I nearly always hike in trail/fell runners as it's such a liberating experience. These shoes are designed that if they get wet, they dry out quickly, so you don't spend the rest of the hike with wet feet after wading through a steam or stepping in a bog hole. And of course, decent merino socks help keep your feet dry too.

The most important thing is wearing footwear with the appropriate grip for the terrain you're hiking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tphase

Quackster wrote: »
    The most important thing is wearing footwear with the appropriate grip for the terrain you're hiking on.

hit the nail on the head

Advertisement