Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else becoming terrified of Liberals.

• 03-02-2017 3:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭

This fear has been building in me for awhile but seeing all these violent protests recently has heightened my fears. It seems that if you are in any way different, if you like something that's a little abnormal (like 18 certed horror films) these liberals want you dead! They will scream, shout and threaten you until you conform and be like them. Right now, it seems that if you are different, maybe a little bit odd, it's now time to lock yourself up and never step outside. I don't like posting online anymore due to fear of liberal attacks and labelling.
    My therapist says I need to get out more, talk to people and let them get to know the real me but I'm scared the real me will get me killed at the hands of these liberals. My therapist says my oddness makes me unique but I think it makes me a target of liberal hate. It feels like I need to conform, I need to become something else because being me is a horrible thing. I need to stay so deep in the closet because if I come out then that will be another thing that makes me different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Those liberals that seek to stamp out different opinions by shouting, using insult words or even violence are a threat to democracy. However a larger share of liberals I would like to think are open to different view points and so I wouldn't try conform to whatever the mainstream media is telling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

Bebopclown wrote: »
    This fear has been building in me for awhile but seeing all these violent protests recently has heightened my fears. It seems that if you are in any way different, if you like something that's a little abnormal (like 18 certed horror films) these liberals want you dead! They will scream, shout and threaten you until you conform and be like them. Right now, it seems that if you are different, maybe a little bit odd, it's now time to lock yourself up and never step outside. I don't like posting online anymore due to fear of liberal attacks and labelling.
    My therapist says I need to get out more, talk to people and let them get to know the real me but I'm scared the real me will get me killed at the hands of these liberals. My therapist says my oddness makes me unique but I think it makes me a target of liberal hate. It feels like I need to conform, I need to become something else because being me is a horrible thing. I need to stay so deep in the closet because if I come out then that will be another thing that makes me different.

What country do you live in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im worried that everybody seems to be put into a narrowly defined box these days. Express an opinion and you are either a bleeding heart liberal or an alt-right fascist. Its us against them and you are one or the other. It drowns most of the actual debate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Those liberals that seek to stamp out different opinions by shouting, using insult words or even violence are a threat to democracy. However a larger share of liberals I would like to think are open to different view points and so I wouldn't try conform to whatever the mainstream media is telling us.

Simply put, these aren't liberals as liberalism by it's nature involves allowing, or at least tolerating different opinions and actions as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. It's also interesting that people are focusing exclusively on the left and are happy to ignore such things from the right.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A Trump supporting right winger, walked into a mosque and murdered 6 people a few days ago. Then, the Trump admin blamed that attack on Muslims, and then a few days later announced that he admin will be ignoring far right terror.

I know who I am afraid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Simply put, these aren't liberals as liberalism by it's nature involves allowing, or at least tolerating different opinions and actions as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. It's also interesting that people are focusing exclusively on the left and are happy to ignore such things from the right.

In an American context there isn't as much violence and intimidation tactics being used at at protests by the right, no where near as much. They are being egged on by the likes of this-
    Comedian Sarah Silverman has called for the violent overthrow of "mad king" Donald Trump and urged Americans to "join the resistance".
    The often-outspoken actress, who backed Bernie Sanders and then Hillary Clinton for the top job, used Twitter to advocate a military coup on Thursday, apparently jokingly.
    She wrote: "WAKE UP & JOIN THE RESISTANCE. ONCE THE MILITARY IS W US FASCISTS GET OVERTHROWN. MAD KING & HIS HANDLERS GO BYE BYE".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sarah-silverman-donald-trump-coup-oust-mad-king-comedian-actress-twitter-tweet-fascists-handlers-a7560596.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Oh oh. Someone is afraid of Sarah Silverman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In an American context there isn't as much violence and intimidation tactics being used at at protests by the right, no where near as much. They are being egged on by the likes of this-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sarah-silverman-donald-trump-coup-oust-mad-king-comedian-actress-twitter-tweet-fascists-handlers-a7560596.html

Well, using the examples in this thread, 6 killed in an attack by the right, or a tweet by a comedian on the left - I know which I'd rather be on the end of.

Both extremes are a bit out there, but I've only come across either extremes on messageboards. Never in real life. I've never felt in fear for my life in Ireland because of my views.

alastair wrote: »
    Oh oh. Someone is afraid of Sarah Silverman.

She is using her fame to reach an audience in order to call for violence. She has something like 10 million Twitter followers and she is calling for violence. Is that acceptable?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, using the examples in this thread, 6 killed in an attack by the right, or a tweet by a comedian on the left - I know which I'd rather be on the end of.

Trump encouraged violence as well, and even offered to pay legal bills:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-trump-campaign-protests-20160313-story.html

The selective memory by those on the right is astonishing.

In the UK, we have Jo Cox murdered by another right winger:
    Labour MP Jo Cox 'murdered for political cause'

Then, the likes of Dylan Roof, massacring African American in a church. The 2012 Sikh massacre, that everyone forgets about (missed everyone changing there facebook profiles for that one):

Gunman Kills 6 at a Sikh Temple Near Milwaukee

Right wing violence and terror is given a huge pass for some bizarre reason.

• Advertisement

She is using her fame to reach an audience in order to call for violence.

She is?

Oh wait...

She's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The alt-left and the alt-right.

Just stay somewhere in the centre, I think the best thing to do if you are in the presence of people you don't know, or don't know very well, is to take the middle ground, because lets face it having a row with someone leads nowhere, apart from having angry people and most likely higher blood pressure.
    Before the election last year, I was on a day tour in Texas, I was asked what I thought of the election as I was the only non-American - well the driver was from Limerick but had an American accent as he lived there since childhood and he had kept it a secret till near the end of the journey.
    So anyway, my first thought was 'I had a nice day with these people that I met for the first time that day and I want the lasting memories of the trip to be of a good time, even if the tour was political in nature, so I replied 'I don't know what to think, I don't think either of them is great, which was my actual view on the election so it was not a lie'. They agreed with that, I think they were mostly Clinton voters, as they talked only about Trump and they were from the east coast.
    I think there is no need to be afraid of anyone and their opinion, but one can be tactful in the way they approach people whose views they don't know, one can try and not light a fuse and then take the conversation from there.
    Most people have common sense and are not violent.

Mod note:

<snip>

Please don't post videos with no contribution of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Simply put, these aren't liberals as liberalism by it's nature involves allowing, or at least tolerating different opinions and actions as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

With you 100% on this one. I have always considered myself and identified with what we - in the Irish/UK/European context - would consider a liberal, but beginning to realise, when looking objectively at the election and it's aftermath in the US, that liberalism is morphing into something potentially dangerous.

I've come to the realisation that Liberals have become the Establishment and like any establishment, has become doctrinaire in their thinking, convinced of their righteousness and intolerant of others that disagree with them.

I've always thought of liberals as people that are focused more on identifying and respecting 'truth' - so not only tolerant of others beliefs but recognising the need to consider other's opinions when forming their own - rather than following a rigid doctrine which increasingly seems to be the case. Liberals, in my view, would look at all the facts and use reason to draw conclusions and opinions, with the underlining motivation of identifying what is the best solution that can positively impact the majority of people. It requires pragmatism and the understanding that we and no one has all the answers, compromise is usually required to get things done and strict adherence to a rigid ideology usually ends up in conflict.

When political correctness first came into common lore during the late 80's/early 90's, I embraced it as a means of removing derogatory language that perpetuated racist/sexist/discriminatory abuse of minorities and fostered a respect for people that were different and protected people that couldn't stand up for themselves.

It has since morphed into something that is a parody of tolerance and it now feels like it actually breeds intolerance, and worse, it places feelings and opinions above freedom of speech, freedom of thought and freedom to question. It breeds the absolute worst kind of censorship - self censorship.

When people are afraid to question the new liberal doctrine because to question is now seen as to attack, when social media has generated an intolerant hive mentality where outrage is the emotion du jour and people define themselves by what they are against, seek out their own 'echo chambers' (apologies, I appreciate that phrase is becoming WAY overused) and want 'safe spaces' so they can't be 'triggered', then these people should really consider the need to find a new label, because they have clearly lost sight of what being a liberal means.

Personally, I can't move away from the belief that liberalism is, in it's basic tenets, a worldview that requires us to be open minded, tolerant of other's differences and opinions and being open to the need to question things and not follow a strict doctrine. It should sit between the political left and political right, consider what works in both beliefs and adapting it to find pragmatic solutions that benefit the most. All of that requires openess and tolerance - and they are now the two virtues that modern day liberalism seems to be lacking the most....

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

It seems that if you are in any way different, if you like something that's a little abnormal (like 18 certed horror films) these liberals want you dead! They will scream, shout and threaten you until you conform and be like them.

What? Are you being serious? Do you actually think this is a thing?

I don't like posting online anymore due to fear of liberal attacks and labelling.

Also, this level of irony/hypocrisy must be intentional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Its fascism, the left are the new fascists and don't even realise it ..

Mod note:

<snip>

Linking videos is fine to provide evidence of a point, not to make a point for you. Some posters are viewing the page on their phone so can't be expected to watch every video posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

<snip>

Really? You post a video of that clown to back your point whose "news" organisation routinely writes pieces that are 100% flat out lies. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

wes wrote: »
    A Trump supporting right winger, walked into a mosque and murdered 6 people a few days ago.

The attack happened in Canada.
    So not so sure how much of your "trump supporting..." comment is based on truth.

The attack happened in Canada.
    So not so sure how much of your "trump supporting..." comment is based on truth.
    'Islamophobia killed Canadians': anti-Muslim rhetoric blamed in Québec attack

Those who knew Bissonnette described him as pro-Donald Trump, anti-immigration and sympathetic to the far right, prompting many to ask whether the current political climate had laid the ground for the attack.

A 100% based on truth and backs up my point about the right being given a complete free pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This is a very odd OP. I thought it was going to be leveling the valid criticisms like we value free movement and personal rights over collective security. I've never heard of anyone accusing liberals of wanting to ban horror films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

It really is getting harder and harder to tell what is satire and what isn't, these days. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    This is unfortunately quite true.

Really? You post a video of that clown to back your point whose "news" organisation routinely writes pieces that are 100% flat out lies. Pathetic.

Ah sorry yeah, therefore it was all grand to smash up the campus ...

cos boo hoo he has a different opinion, if his opinions are so shocking let him on stage and debate him and show him to be wrong.

Yep, and Trump is none of these things they claim him to be.

They should be out protesting against Saudi embassies ... but shhh that might be "racist" ... or "Islamaphobic" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

AntiFa in particular seem to be a nasty authoritarian bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Not every liberal is strictly like that. Many are entirely open to different opinions. But I think some are ultimately shooting themselves in the foot as we've seen with Donald Trump and the US election. Some liberals denounced Donald Trump supporters, decried them as "deplorable", and basically alienated them. What they haven't realised still is the more you push against a group of people, alienate them and telling them what you think is right, the more they are going to push back. Particularly prevalent in the US election with groups basically saying if you stand for this and believe in this then you are a scumbag basically, hence Donald Trump got elected. The media and liberals still haven't learnt the lesson, they continue to do it despite the fact that is having the opposite effect of what they want.

I'm not political at all, but I'm more and more starting to notice people saying that the actions of liberals post election has convinced them to vote right wing forever. The reason for this being that their actions are totally undemocratic. The results of an election are wrong unless it goes my way seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Again, I'd like to stress these are my own observations and it seems to be in select, minority groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In you're anology there it indicates trump has dragged everyone down into the gutter with him.

Thoughts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Anyone feel that the whole world has being simmering in the hate of each others ideals and it's just coming to the stage where is starting to boil over.

And it's to a new level too...even people in families who have different opinions get angry at each other.

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »
    Not every liberal is strictly like that. Many are entirely open to different opinions. But I think some are ultimately shooting themselves in the foot as we've seen with Donald Trump and the US election. Some liberals denounced Donald Trump supporters, decried them as "deplorable", and basically alienated them. What they haven't realised still is the more you push against a group of people, alienate them and telling them what you think is right, the more they are going to push back. Particularly prevalent in the US election with groups basically saying if you stand for this and believe in this then you are a scumbag basically, hence Donald Trump got elected. The media and liberals still haven't learnt the lesson, they continue to do it despite the fact that is having the opposite effect of what they want.

I'm not political at all, but I'm more and more starting to notice people saying that the actions of liberals post election has convinced them to vote right wing forever. The reason for this being that their actions are totally undemocratic. The results of an election are wrong unless it goes my way seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Again, I'd like to stress these are my own observations and it seems to be in select, minority groups.

The 'deplorable' comment was by Hillary, and wasn't levelled at all Trump supporters (let alone voters). I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't believe that a portion of his support base are deplorable reactionaries, responding to the dog whistle ideology propounded by the candidate. The only debatable point is; what proportion?

As to the idiocy of anyone voting against their beliefs on account of a distaste for other people's actions? Dunno what to say there, except they're idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People need to get out more.

As glib as this remark is, it's absolutely right. Too much social media and not enough interacting with real people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-sX5JLwidE

Fascism=n authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

Terrlock wrote: »
    Anyone feel that the whole world has being simmering in the hate of each others ideals and it's just coming to the stage where is starting to boil over.

And it's to a new level too...even people in families who have different opinions get angry at each other.

There is definitely something happening. In my lifetime i have never seen the likes of what is going on in US campuses with riots breaking out when someone comes to give a talk. The anger is palpable. In one video a blonde girl gets hit over the head with a pole. She didn't seem to be doing anything to warrant it. Hollywood directors and actors calling for violence and the whole room cheering and whooping as if its totally acceptable.

red ears wrote: »
    There is definitely something happening. In my lifetime i have never seen the likes of what is going on in US campuses with riots breaking out when someone comes to give a talk. The anger is palpable. In one video a blonde girl gets hit over the head with a pole. She didn't seem to be doing anything to warrant it. Hollywood directors and actors calling for violence and the whole room cheering and whooping as if its totally acceptable.

This has been going on, at Berkeley at least, since 1964.

• Advertisement

The first recorded incident of student rioting occurred in 1229 in Paris University. It resulted in the University being closed for two years. :eek:

Many of the riots in the US have occurred after big wins or big losses in football or other sports events. The biggest on record involving more than 10,000 rioters happened in Kentucky in 2012 after the Wildcats got through the last four in the NCAA basketball championships.

Some of them were politically motivated such as segregation protests in Mississippi or the anti-war protests during the Vietnam war. National Guard opened fire on a crowd in Kent State University killing four protesters and injuring nine.

Nothing new here at all.

Ah sorry yeah, therefore it was all grand to smash up the campus ...

cos boo hoo he has a different opinion, if his opinions are so shocking let him on stage and debate him and show him to be wrong.

Never said it was ok to cause a riot, and in fact students led a peaceful protest until clowns came out and caused trouble.

I would gladly debate him, and show him the complete trash his organisation has published which only serves to incite hate and division.

I saw that guy up in Quebec who shot a bunch of people is a white-nationalist who was heavily influenced by Donald Trump and Marine Le Pen.

I'm more scared of right-wing terrorists boosted by the hatred coming from the right than I am of any liberals who attack Trump supporters.

The worst of each side are terrible, but I don't see supposed 'liberals' murdering a bunch of people based on their religious or political views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

It seems to me that societies remain healthy with a mix of conservative and liberal policies. Right now the pendulum is swinging back to conservatism until some of the problems of liberalism ( or neo-lberalism ) have been addressed. It will then probably swing back again.
    That liberals are taking so much offense with this is astonishing.

Great post in Linkedin this week reminding us of what previous generations, not so long ago, put up with moving to the US.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-jewish-irish-asian-italian-friends-joshua-brown

The first recorded incident of student rioting occurred in 1229 in Paris University. It resulted in the University being closed for two years. :eek:

Many of the riots in the US have occurred after big wins or big losses in football or other sports events. The biggest on record involving more than 10,000 rioters happened in Kentucky in 2012 after the Wildcats got through the last four in the NCAA basketball championships.

Some of them were politically motivated such as segregation protests in Mississippi or the anti-war protests during the Vietnam war. National Guard opened fire on a crowd in Kent State University killing four protesters and injuring nine.

Nothing new here at all.

This isn't one off riots its a national issue. It all stems from political correctness and an intolerance for free speech from the left. Its an authoritarianism of sorts. What started 30 years ago as politely pointing out to someone they cant say a particular thing as it is politically incorrect has progressed into outrage and outright violence and hostility to people who don't toe the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You see comments to this effect a lot of the time and they really seem to miss the point. Liberalism is about tolerance of difference, not tolerance of intolerance, or tolerance of hatred and discrimination.

Things a liberal should tolerate:
    - Different religions
    - Different political preferences
    - Different races, sexual orientations, etc

Things a liberal shouldn't tolerate:
    - Racism
    - Fascism
    - Authoritatianism
    - Xenophobia

Liberalism doesn't mean "anything goes". I'm not going to catch someone stabbing someone else in an alleyway and go "Well, who am I to judge?"

So no, don't go treating people like they are horrible goblins for voting conservative, but yes, be very intolerant of people preaching racism and xenophobia.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you find yourself terrified of liberals, the alt-right, president Trump or whoever, it's a sure fire sign that it's time to turn off the computer and start getting out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rarariot

The left/right divide in the US is becoming more apparently violent because of other groups associating themselves with both sides.

BLM is seen as part of the left now, when it's nothing more than a bunch of hate spewing thugish hypocrites. The exact same could be said for Antifa movements.

The "alt-right" is a huge part of the right now, and is pretty divisive. Freedom of speech blurs into insults and racism.

Both sides have just become heavily bogged down in groups which have become attached to them, and serve no real purpose other than to hate and create mayhem.

This isn't one off riots its a national issue. It all stems from political correctness and an intolerance for free speech from the left. Its an authoritarianism of sorts. What started 30 years ago as politely pointing out to someone they cant say a particular thing as it is politically incorrect has progressed into outrage and outright violence and hostility to people who don't toe the line.

Again - nothing new in any of that. The supposed 'politeness' of 30 years ago is at odds with the reality of 30 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

One side during the election were extremely violent and continue to be so, and it wasn't Trump supporters

The radical alt left terrorists like antifa need to be labeled as such

One side during the election were extremely violent and continue to be so, and it wasn't Trump supporters

The radical alt left terrorists like antifa need to be labeled as such
    You could be right. But during the election I don't remember Clinton saying things like this:

You could be right. But during the election I don't remember Clinton saying things like this:

Actions speak louder than words. And if those fascist pigs who stood around Trump rallies attacking his supporters going to and from events got some retribution, that's fine by me.

Actions speak louder than words. And if those fascist pigs who stood around Trump rallies attacking his supporters going to and from events got some retribution, that's fine by me.
    There are words and actions in those clips.

There are words and actions in those clips.

Do you really want to go down the route of posting video clips to try and prove a point? For every clip of a gobsh/te at a Trump rally there's 50 videos on the other side.

The violence shown by factions of the left has far outweighed any message they may have. It's a good thing because all it's doing is hurting their cause and pushing more people to Trump's side.

Do you really want to go down the route of posting video clips to try and prove a point? For every clip of a gobsh/te at a Trump rally there's 50 videos on the other side.

The violence shown by factions of the left has far outweighed any message they may have. It's a good thing because all it's doing is hurting their cause and pushing more people to Trump's side.
    No, I abhor violence.

It's not helpful for a presidential candidate to be encouraging it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement