Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next in news

"Tom Hanks shot in Paris"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to the soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sky reporting a soldier has "opened fire" after a man tried to enter the Louvre with a suitcase.

A foiled terrorist attack or an innocent tourist?

More to follow

http://news.sky.com/story/soldier-shoots-at-man-trying-to-enter-louvre-in-paris-10754100

Everyone is very jumpy and jittery , understandably so. so take no risks of being misapprehended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Shoot first, ask questions later ....And it's completely correct in this instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Police source now saying the man tried to attack the soldier with a knife. If thats the case thengive the soldier a medal, Probably saved a lot of lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm sure Donald will take advantage of this and tweet...."you see i told you so"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Philistines as well as murderous

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well done to the soldier, good riddance to the potential knife attacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's stories like this that make me glad I don't watch Sky News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

RobertKK wrote: »
    Well done to the soldier, good riddance to the potential knife attacker.

He was only shot in the legs according to the report!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Trump supporter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

fryup wrote: »
    i'm sure Donald will take advantage of this and tweet...."you see i told you so"
    meanwhile from an article published today in the economist

"America's murder rate is rising at its fastest pace since the early 1970s"

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21716056-analysis-50-cities-economist-americas-murder-rate-rising-its-fastest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

kfallon wrote: »

Even better, Don't give him the glorious death he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well good riddance, he will be in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

That terrorist could have been someone's brother, have some empathy FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Excellent result for the security there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Nope F*ck him.

That terrorist could have killed someone's brother......(you're a SF voter i take it?)

That terrorist could have killed someone's brother......(you're a SF voter i take it?)

Absolutely heartless, I'm sure you'd be thrilled to hear of more terrorists losing their lives, you probably won't be satisfied until every terrorist on the planet is dead, where is your compassion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

dinorebel wrote: »
    Nope F*ck him.

He's very obviously taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

He's probably 'mentally ill'.

Donal55 wrote: »
    He's probably 'mentally ill'.

who the terrorist or SnakePlissken ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Guy with a knife and a suitcase, apparently; soldiers everywhere, Metro station closed and area locked down.
    Paris has had young soldiers in threes patrolling every street for the last couple of years; their response is fast and efficient now.

He's dead now. Bless him.

I believe he's referring to those born without even the vaguest grasp of sarcasm. A terrible infliction which causes one to take everything as literal.

I don't believe it. The lovely Lara Marlowe used the 'unwell', 'mentally ill' card.
    FFS during the Troubles I never heard the 'mentally ill' description affixed to either Loyalist or Republican attacks or murders.

Why so different when dealing with the religion of peace?
    Allah akbar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A lone guy with a knife and nothing else trying to start **** in a well armed public building.

Real brainbox that guy obviously.

Reports that one sokider was stabbed, hopefully he recovers quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'll be holding judgment on this.

No explosives found on him.

Reports he shouted Allah Ahbar. This seems to be attached to all of these reports.

Reminds me of the Brazilian tourist just going about his day in London they shot in the tube.

Will have to see what emerges.

Depends what's found in the suitcase; he was heading down into the giant mall (Paris's huge Apple shop is there, if my memory serves) under the Louvre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

seamus wrote: »
    A lone guy with a knife and nothing else trying to start **** in a well armed public building.

Real brainbox that guy obviously.

Reports that one sokider was stabbed, hopefully he recovers quickly.

From (I imagine) his point of view, what a target, though. Very symbolic. So I can see why he chose it. Same goes for the recent near miss on the Champs Elysee, Eiffel Tower (I think? or was that a false alarm), and of course the terrible attack at the Bataclan concert.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Which is actually an amazing thing for the soldier to do. If someone came screaming at me with a knife I wouldn't have the wherewithal to shoot to main! Very few people would

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Well done to the soldier, who knows how many lives he has saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good discipline by the soldier. When its easier to shot to kill it takes guts and discipline to fire warning shots, containing shots or shots to injure.

Personally speaking I think a knife man deserves one between the eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Do you still get banned for saying the attacker is Muslim?

I wish they would not shoot these lads unless absolutely necessary. I have seen German police disarm lads with knives with brooms. If it was a terrorist, Have no definitive as yet that's what they want a glorious death and huge media coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I wish they would not shoot these lads unless absolutely necessary. I have seen German police disarm lads with knives with brooms. If it was a terrorist, Have not definitive as yet that's what they want a glorious death and huge media coverage.

Apparently he had a machete, I'm guessing it was deemed necessary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Reports he shouted Allah Ahbar. This seems to be attached to all of these reports.

Reminds me of the Brazilian tourist just going about his day in London they shot in the tube.

In a way, it's immaterial whether there were explosives or not and it's completely different to the de Menezese case. Even if the bag was empty, the bolded part above implies that he was deliberately trying to cause panic. In a crowded area, that can be just as bad as an actual explosion.

Supposing for example that he didn't have explosives, shouted Allahou Akbar and ran at the soldiers with the purpose of deliberately being shot. Perhaps to prove a point or so that the military would be accused of brutality. If someone does that they are very foolish indeed and the soldier was still right to fire because hesitation could cost innocent lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I wish they would not shoot these lads unless absolutely necessary. I have seen German police disarm lads with knives with brooms. If it was a terrorist, Have no definitive as yet that's what they want a glorious death and huge media coverage.

And what if he has a concealed explosive vest, what good will your broom do then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Apparently he had a machete, I'm guessing it was deemed necessary.

And the soldier also got injured in the process, so I'd imagine it wasn't a case of seeing a lad and just letting lose on the trigger.

And what if he has a concealed explosive vest, what good will your broom do then?

They tend to walk in for maximum damage in the crowed, All about getting into the crowd for maximum damage. Randomly stabbing people tends to make people run away .

• Advertisement

In a way, it's immaterial whether there were explosives or not and it's completely different to the de Menezese case. Even if the bag was empty, the bolded part above implies that he was deliberately trying to cause panic. In a crowded area, that can be just as bad as an actual explosion.

Supposing for example that he didn't have explosives, shouted Allahou Akbar and ran at the soldiers with the purpose of deliberately being shot. Perhaps to prove a point or so that the military would be accused of brutality. If someone does that they are very foolish indeed and the soldier was still right to fire because hesitation could cost innocent lives.

Yah- I'll be holding judgment on that.

The lad in Quebec reportedly shouted Allah Akbar- has since been disproved.

The Brazilian lad reportedly shouted Allah Akbar - has since been disproved.

There was that unhinged chap in London that attacked the Police with a Machette but this lad had two backpacks or one by some accounts and a knife.

It doesnt sound like a terrorist attack to me. And police tend to justify police shootings after the fact. Happens all the times in the States where unarmed people are shot and the police say he was reaching for a gun etc.

I'm simply holding judement on this one. I'm sure it'll come out in a day or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I bet this fella was paid by the Trump administration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is the second time you have jumped into one of these threads and immediately are trying to downplay who it might be. :rolleyes:

The last time you were lucky.
    But then again I suppose it wasn't luck though because we don't find the islamists attacking mosques in the western world.
    They only do that in their own countries where they don't like the brand of islam they are practicing in a particular mosque.
    Yah- I'll be holding judgment on that.

The lad in Quebec reportedly shouted Allah Akbar- has since been disproved.

The Brazilian lad reportedly shouted Allah Akbar - has since been disproved.

There was that unhinged chap in London that attacked the Police with a Machette but this lad had two backpacks or one by some accounts and a knife.

It doesnt sound like a terrorist attack to me.

Well then you are of a different opinion to French officials and police.

Do you also remember the guys who attacked a soldier in London with a knife and hacked his head off ?
    Maybe the soldiers in Paris remembered that as well. :rolleyes:
    And police tend to justify police shootings after the fact. Happens all the times in the States where unarmed people are shot and the police say he was reaching for a gun etc.

I'm simply holding judement on this one. I'm sure it'll come out in a day or so.

Of course you are.

The guy had backpacks/bags and when refused entry produced a machete and attacked a soldier, but you go right ahead an drag up some shooting in Texas or other to downplay it.

I am not allowed discuss …

As far as I can see from the Paris police and French ministry of the interior accounts, he was carrying a machete; can't see any Allahu Akhbar reference, though. He may well have been some lonely nutter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    This incident has 0 ties to Trump, once any have been established then feel free to bring the President of the USA into the discussion.

For now, please leave Trump out of the discussion.

jmayo wrote: »
    This is the second time you have jumped into one of these threads and immediately are trying to downplay who it might be. :rolleyes:

But then again I suppose it wasn't luck though because we don't find the islamists attacking mosques in the western world.
    They only do that in their own countries where they don't like the brand of islam they are practicing in a particular mosque.

Do you also remember the guys who attacked a soldier in London with a knife and hacked his head off ?

Of course you are.

The guy had backpacks/bags and when refused entry produced a machete and attacked a soldier, but you go right ahead an drag up some shooting in Texas or other to downplay it.

I wasn't lucky last time. I didn't believe the media bull and extrapolated based on factual logical information.

A lot of Muslums were shot. Pointed to a white supremicist.

This time we have a report that a French Soilder shot someone who had two backpacks which did not have explosives.

I've been to the Lourve. There are a lot of students, art students with Easels, paints, brushes that travel there every day and paint and draw.

One of these could have produced a paint brush, a soilder could have panicked and shot. It happens.

Equally it could have been an attacker with a knife, but if I am going to attack the Lourve and I am a terrorist what the hell am I doing with two backpacks and a knife. Ive seen no reports of a machette yet. EDIT I see conflicting reports of one Machette, two Machettes and a further report of an attemped stabbing with a knife. If it's a machette you hack, don't stab.

It doesnt stack up for me. Maybe it's some deranged looper. There are plenty of them including a similar attack previously. I'm interested to see what comes out.

I wont even bother with the rest of your bile filled nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Chuchote wrote: »
    As far as I can see from the Paris police and French ministry of the interior accounts, he was carrying a machete; can't see any Allahu Akhbar reference, though. He may well have been some lonely nutter.

The French PM has said it looks like a terrorist attack and a few papers are mentioning the Allahu Akhbar thing. Seems pretty clear already (French authorities don't have a habit of mentioning the word terrorist unless they are pretty sure this is what it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

jmayo wrote: »

Of course you are.

I'm sure you'll be sticking around this time then. Doesn't look like one of your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Better to take these guys alive where possible as they could provide useful information and no martyrdom, just a long and unbelievable boring existence completely forgotten about in France's most dull prison is more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Better to take these guys alive where possible as they could provide useful information and no martyrdom, just a long and unbelievable boring existence completely forgotten about in France's most dull prison is more appropriate.

I don't know ...

1) If he survives I am not sure at all this guy will spend the rest of his life in jail (I think probably not).
    2) Even if it was the case, if I was a French taxpayer I am not sure how I would feel about my government spending €40k per year on that guy for the rest of his life (which I think is the rough cost for an average prisoner - if confinement or high security facilities are deemed necessary it is probably a much higher figure).

• Advertisement
Advertisement