Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of leon 3 arena

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I was checking setlist.com for the last few weeks just to get a feel for what they'd play and almost every night they started with Over from the Walls album, I was so excited to hear it tonight and they didn't play it! But I can't complain because they played Cold Desert. On the whole a great KOL gig. The sound was excellent and the lack of fuss on stage really was great. My only issue tonight was that I've seen them 6 or 7 times but I just couldn't figure out the crowd tonight it was a bit hit and miss especially where I was standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Ok gig last night but they really plough through the songs and don't seem to add anything by playing live over the studio sound. Very little showmanship. Enjoyed it but was probably ruined by the fact that I was comparing it to Greenday on Thursday and they deliver so much more than just great songs at their show - also played an hour longer for €35 euro less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

That's my 7th time to see Kings of Leon over the years, first was the landsdowne road gig with the Pixes in 2005. I have to say last night was the best of them all.

I thought the setlist was spot on (was looking forward to Over myself) but we got 4 kicks, Cold Desert, Knocked up, Milk and The Runner so was delighted with that, they played 27 songs which is a good set. I thought the crowd were great, there was minimal talking around me and everyone was singing and dancing away to the songs. The sound was great and the production was great. The band was on form and looked to be really enjoying the gig. Overall I thought it was a very good gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

What about ticketing? Are they checking IDs versus names on the tickets like Radiohead?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Morf3h wrote: »
    What about ticketing? Are they checking IDs versus names on the tickets like Radiohead?

No checkslike this from What I saw.

• Advertisement

Thought Crawl was an absolute highlight. It just sounds so well live.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Absoutely fantastic gig last night, loved crawl and fans. They must get sick of singing sex on fire though. The only thing that annoyed me was the row i was in had a stupid amount of people who needed to go to the toilet or the bar. i must have had to stand up about 20 times to let them past and i know it annoyed the people behind me too.

Was expecting the queue to go in to be huge with all the extra checks but got in straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Loved the gig last night. Wasnt expecting them to play mollys chambers. 4 kicks and crawl were epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Coming from someone's who has only ever heard the basic popular songs, I really enjoyed this gig. There was something about the way they punched through the 27 or so songs I really liked. There wasn't much chat back and forth with the crowd it was class they got on with it. Hans Zimmer this year and Gaslight Anthem last year, both leads kept talking on and on and on.

Sound wasn't the best for the first five-ish songs where we were (Block G) but it picked up. The lead singer still seemed a bit "far away" audio wise.

People behind us treated the gig as backing music for their chats and I lost track of the amount of times I stood up and sat down as others went to the bar relentlessly. You're missing out on what sounds like great material. It's a pet hate of mine at gigs and I'll stand by that.

I'm looking forward to checking out KoL a bit more, some of the songs sounded great last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

If anyone is trying to offload 1 standing ticket for tomorrow give us a shout :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Went on the opening night and I must say I was blown away. I would be one of those "their earlier work was so much better" sort of lad, but thought they got the mix spot on.

Was pleasantly surprised they played Molly's Chambers, and my particular highlights were The Runner, Fans and Milk.

Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just home, the 3 part stage worked great, really built it into a crescendo. Seemed like it was their quiet songs supporting their loud songs.

Crowd was what you'd imagine a midweek gig to be, not as loud, but great to hear the songs sung by a band you paid €95 to see rather than some drunk lad from Longford singing them in your ear.

Band are little to no onstage personality, no reference to July 4th.

Venue had half the upper tier closed by a curtain, small intimate crowd. Great gig, really enjoyed it, 4th time seeing them, they're slowly becoming the band I'll be going back to to relive my youth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just home, the 3 part stage worked great, really built it into a crescendo. Seemed like it was their quiet songs supporting their loud songs.

Crowd was what you'd imagine a midweek gig to be, not as loud, but great to hear the songs sung by a band you paid €95 to see rather than some drunk lad from Longford singing them in your ear.

Venue had half the upper tier closed by a curtain, small intimate crowd. Great gig, really enjoyed it, 4th time seeing them, they're slowly becoming the band I'll be going back to to relive my youth

About the 8th time I've seen em and by a million miles the best. Great gig. Completely won me back over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

€95 for those bearded drones?

I'd rather the lad from Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

€95 for those PC bearded drones?

I'd rather the lad from Longford.
    95 quid for these lads is utterly criminal. Everyone there should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

So what if the tickets were €95? yeah they were pricey but the concert was good. Why bother with them comments when you don't even like the band?! Clearly a troll..

Mugatuu wrote: »
    So what if the tickets were €95? yeah they were pricey but the concert was good. Why bother with them comments when you don't even like the band?! Clearly a troll..

Forget about him/her. Haters gonna hate. KOL are still Rocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Mugatuu wrote: »

We're weren't trolling. The original poster was bending over backwards to justify forking out that ticket price with his review. He said something along the lines of "I paid €95 to hear the band sing their songs which at least is better than hearing some lad in a pub in Longford sing them even thought there was no crowd interaction."

This seems to be the consensus from anyone I've spoken to who went to the gigs. KOL played their songs robotically then f*ked off.

We're weren't trolling. The original poster was bending over backwards to justify forking out that ticket price with his review. He said something along the lines of "I paid €95 to hear the band sing their songs which at least is better than hearing some lad in a pub in Longford sing them even thought there was no crowd interaction."

This seems to be the consensus from anyone I've spoken to who went to the gigs. KOL played their songs robotically then f*ked off.

You went to a concert and the band played music? And when they finished their set, they walked off? The audacity!!! What do you expect? Cartwheels and acrobatics? Maybe a circus is more suited for you. If you're not a big fan of KOL, or any band, then don't pay €90 and complain about it.

I am going to a concert to watch and hear a band play live music. Kings of Leon musically are so good, they are incredible live. Never a note put wrong and Caleb's vocals are always amazing, what a voice. The slow sections when the curtains came down was also a nice mix of events, so nice to see live.

A fantastic concert, thoroughly enjoyed it. First time seeing them in an arena and it really didn't disappoint :)

I never get why people come into the gigs forum and post in a thread about a band they hate. Should be an instant ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I was at the gig last night, probably my 7th time seeing them. Again, I prefer their earlier stuff. When tickets came out at €95, I drew a line and said that was too expensive for an indoor gig.

Ended up getting 2 tickets for the price of 1 on a deal with Three. Great value at that price, very good performance from the band, but I think the Marley Park gig from a few years ago just pips it, despite the rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I went to the first night and taught they were excellent put on a great show, like others have said I like the earlier stuff more but I like Walls. They didn't really interact with the crowd that didn't bother me they were in top form performance wise.

poteen;103997309I never get why people come into the gigs forum and post in a thread about a band they hate.  Should be an instant ban.

I never get why people come into the gigs forum and post in a thread telling people that they should be banned for posting. Its a free country.
    If anyone should be banned its you for paying €95 to see these dullards

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

The Nal wrote: »
    I never get why people come into the gigs forum and post in a thread telling people that they should be banned for posting. Its a free country.

yeah, I think its clearly you coming off as a twat

Who are you to tell people what they should spend their money on. And more importantly, why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

oh wait, you have previous
    Anyone who goes to this concert is a cúnt

The Nal banned from forum for three months.
    Anyone who pays for that is a cúnt

Feckin weirdo :)

Looking through your past posts reads that of an angry teenager

Anyone who goes to this concert is a cúnt

The Nal banned from forum for three months.

Ah, just noticed this. Explains a lot.

Let's ignore all of these idiotic comments and go back to talking about how awesome the gig was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Ah, just noticed this. Explains a lot.

Let's ignore all of these idiotic comments and go back to talking about how awesome the gig was :)

The gig was awesome .. I am still on cloud 9 from it and went Saturday night. Nearly cried when they started to play Cold Desert. :D

You're helping to inflate the market and making it seem acceptable to pay 95 quid to a gig for an MOR band.

Hence my comments in the thread earlier. 

But then again, KOL fans go to a gig every 5 years so why would they care?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You're helping to inflate the market and making it seem acceptable to pay 95 quid to a gig for an MOR band.

Hence my comments in the thread earlier. 

But then again, KOL fans go to a gig every 5 years so why would they care?

The market is the market - no individual is "inflating" the market. If sufficient numbers of people are willing to pay €95 (as they obviously were) then that's the market price - not what you perceive it to be in your head.

I wouldn't have paid full price, but I got a free ticket and did enjoy it. I don't value seeing KOL at the guts of €100, but have no problem with the fact that plenty of other people do.

As regards your comment re them being a middle of the road band, well that's obviously entirely subjective, but such a statements its in completely with the rest of your shaky reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I do think they should drop sex on fire I would have loved to see them finish of with Arizona I see they played Talihina sky last night would have loved to see that. You think €95 is bad I paid €107 for mine well worth IMO.

Advertisement