Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

3D gives me a headache, I saw Avatar ( 2009 ) in 3D , never again

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

3D ruins some films if they have a lot of colour in them.

Like Tron Legacy looks far worse in 3D because of the loss of colour you get with the 3D glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

3D is crap in most movies because the movies weren't actually shot in 3D but converted.

Avatar is in a league of its own when it comes to 3D quality. It must be 10 years since I've watched a 3D movie but I'll be watching Avatar 2 in 3D for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s around three-four films out of all the 3D films I’ve seen that justify the tech. Avatar 2 is one of them, so it is worth giving it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I loved the original Avatar. Today I saw Av2 in Cineworld Dublin Screen 1 3D.

For me, this was 3h15m of mosly sh1te aimed at 10-year olds. It was so bad that my OH bailed after 2h and went shopping. I'd rate it 20% as good as the original.

There was something seriously wrong with the 3D. There was almost no difference whether or not I had the 3D glasses on. The image was very poor, very blue, and a lot of stuff was out of focus.

I cannot understand how this movie is getting great reviews.

And i hear there are three sequels in production! LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭santana75

Went to see this last night and overall I liked it. Its way too long though, should've been at least 45 minutes shorter. The 3-D just wasnt necessary, IMO, at times it just looked like a computer game, it was block or something. Someone once mentioned to me about the "Uncanny valley" which I think applied here. That said I did like it all the same, it did a good job of making you care about the Sully family and I suppose thats half the battle. Its not gonna be the most successful film of all time, it may even flop, but its not a bad movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Went to watch it Saturday morning (2D in Dundrum).

I really enjoyed it, it didn't need to be as long as it was and a lot of unnesseccary scenes should have been removed. There was a lot of young kids in the cinema and not one of them mad a sound. They were all glued to the screen. Nobody even left to go toilet which says a lot.

Plenty of action in the movie too.

Was there with my sister and nephew and the 3 of us rated it. Someone mentioned it above that its definitely a film for the cinema.

5/5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Actually tempted to go back to watch in 3D.

If going I would recommend going to an early screening. We were at the 10.30am show and didn't leave the cinema until about 1.50pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Overall I liked it the film. It didn't feel like a long film, which is a good sign, considering the actual runtime

I would definitely recommend seeing it with the High Frame 3D if you can. It was absolutely stunning and is experience you can't get with any other film. Some people have found the frame rate changes from scene to scene distracting, but I had no such problems and only really spotted it when I was deliberately looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

Saw it yesterday and really liked it.

Annoyingly I wanted to see it in HFR but IMAX in Blanchardstown didn't have that. Kinda annoying considering the premium price.

Looking around online it's impossible to find which cinemas do HFR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Perhaps we can crowdsource a simple list of Irish HFR sites here, since the venues themselves don’t seem to be advertising the fact? If you did see it in HFR mention it in your post (specific screen if possible!) and I’ll put it together in a list if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I seen it on the MAXX screen in Omniplex Rathmines.

Movies@cinemas advertise HFR 3D screenings at their Dundrum, Tallaght and Dungarvon locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen this on Saturday in 3D and it was unreal viewing ,

They really did go all out to make the 3D fantastic, Film was decent to

Really enjoyed the experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is the Isense in the Oden at the point HFR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Watched in 3D, IMAX, in Cineworld. I was blown away.

Really immersive and enjoyable experience. So much so that I'd find it hard to review it as a film. There's a story going on here for sure and it does the job of keeping you engaged, it plods alone nicely and the stakes are refreshingly central to the lead characters and in the grand scheme of things, low stakes, but I was so lost in the sound and imagery, the story is very much secondary.

It almost feels like a 3 hour theme park experience that makes you feel like you're in Pandora, it completely held my attention, never was I checking my watch or bored. I think this is a spectacular triumph from James Cameron. I can only applaud what he's achieved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Saw it last night. It was ok......far too long. A good 45 minutes could easily have been trimmed without doing any damage to the overall plot or story. The 3D worked very well in some places (the underwater scenes with the wildlife in particular). It does drag in the middle but when things go up a gear or three in the final third its enjoyable. Has to be seen on the big screen IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Saw it last light. I'm a fan.

Didn't feel the need to get my phone out once. The visuals are just incredible and I actually felt like In was there.

Top marks from me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love Kermode, but having only just listened to his review it's possibly his most unlistenable output in years. Trying waaaaay too hard to the point it doesn't feel like an honest opinion, but an attempt to recreate that infamous Sex & The City 2 review. The "comedy" voices being especially annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

You could tell that Simon M was getting increasingly annoyed at the silly voice. Having been a big fan of the show on BBC, what I've seen of the new version is a bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was getting inbetween vibes from , oh friends

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am by the final act action here. Yes, it's a big ol' explosion-filled CG finale, but man it really goes to show that can still work when you have people who know what they are doing. The spatial geography and editing of the action is crystal clear. The bit with the arm (you know the bit :P) is a great, self-contained example of carefully putting together simple action beats with a pitch-perfect pay-off. And some of the directorial choices, like a camera right there in the submarine cockpits as they fill with water, add real immediacy and impact.

Cameron is hardly the only great action director working today, but when anonymous, dull action sequences are the norm it's refreshing to see a big, expensive third-act done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

James Cameron gives Avatar fans the finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd prefer he'd spend the budgets he has on more grounded action movies. They pack way more punch.

And he's a brilliant action movie director.

But he's gone from subtle special effects to 300 % CGI.

For me he's running out of time to ever direct/produce anything like his pre Avator movies ever again. He's signed up to Avator stuff for years ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

At the best of times, Kermodes smugness is hard going but he was truly insufferable with this review ( and I don’t even care for Avatar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A random post on Twitter, but an interesting metric to predict where a film ends up. going by that it would be up with Top Gun but financially still technically losing money

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must admit, I did find that Kermode review very..... odd (I think even Simon did too. He seemed quite unamused). And I'm a big fan of Kermode for years. Well, may be his cough meds :)

So I went to see it last night..... Well, it looked very good..... at times. But, IMHO (And as I expected), it's not a very good movie. I'll try to be as vague as possible.

Some of the baddies really didn't look great at all. Not from a technical POV (They moved and were animated fine) but their design was strangely lacking in detail. Faces really lacking character. Jake's design (William Wallace meets... uh, a cat?) seemed odd too, for some reason I cannot put my finger on. However the kids (especially the older kids and the new clan) looked amazing - babies looked poor. The kids were actually quite engaging characters, in fairness.

It's not subtle.... AT ALL. The new clan, complete with tattoos, red flowers in their hair, were THIS close to bursting into a bout of "You're Welcome" (There actually IS a link to Moana later in the movie). The good guys are, again, one-with-nature noble savages. (Complete with some low-rent Water philosophy). And the bad guys are, again, one-note moustache-twirlers.

There was a bit where I accidentally murmured out loud "Oh God no, please"

When the whale thing started talking back to the kid - "Too painful".

There was nothing new, story-wise in the movie (Apart from "How many times can I put these idiot kids in danger?" and "How many times can I get them to say 'Bro' or 'Cuz'?"). As with the first one, it is technically fantastic but extremely shallow story (If the first one was "Dances with Aliens" then this is "Romeo and Juliette meet Moana and then Free Willy"). I believe it will make the money needed but it will by no means be the runaway biggest movie of all time. (And I do know this goes against my previous post).

As per my previous post, Cameron can deliver some fantastic COHERENT action sequences. There is no teleporting to Egypt simply so you can see a robot on a pyramid. There is a reason that X happens after Y which leads to Z (@johnny_ultimate 's post above is a prime example. This was a scene that was no-doubt carefully storyboarded out to make sure it made sense as opposed to nonsensical Bayhem).

The film is also quite long but, as so much of it is setting up the world and various character arcs, I don't know how much you could cut. This is VERY DEFINITELY Part 1 of an arc

Blah blah blah. The other films will involve Kiri coming into her own and eventually sacrificing herself to be one with Eywa/replace Eywa/whatever. Very Princess Yueh.

The vastly superior animated series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" had to add "The Last Airbender" subtitle to avoid confusion/lawsuit. If Avatar 3 and 4 turn into "Avatar: Firenation and Avatar: The Air Nomads" then they NEED to sue :D

Edit: Typos

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH Kermode was fairly salty the rest of the show so maybe he was having an off day. I've also heard a few recent instances of tetchiness in Mayo's voice so have wondered if maybe the lads' hearts aren't quite in it anymore. Perhaps Simon just wants to stick with the writing, wind down the media work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I went to see it today.

Some really great scenes in it and it is definitely worth seeing in the cinema especially for the final big scenes. I had a nice comfortable leather chair to sit in so was all good after the 3 hours. The only complaint I had was the sound in the cinema could have been better. I might go see it again in the new year if I feel up to it lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

I came out thinking to myself, "whatever people think of this movie, that man can still direct incredible action scenes". Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky and there was definitely half an hour that could have been chopped off but overall I enjoyed it.

Cameron is a technological innovator in cinema so I'd say the CGI advancements used in this film will be seen in the coming years.

Advertisement