Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craniosacral Therapy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

craniosacral therapy works for some people in the role of a placebo. of course a placebo cant work on a baby because they dont know whats going on, but it can work on the parents.

you wont like to hear this but it worked because you were the problem, either you were imagining the problem to an extent or your behavior was contributing to it. you went for this therapy and were convinced by the therapist that it worked and that changed your attitude or behavior.

its the only logical explanation and its the reason that homeopathy reki, reflexology etc etc work.

this happened to us with our little lad with another form of therapy, it took me a while to realize what was going on and when i did i felt like had been conned but then i realized it had done what it said on the tin, now obliviously i never went back, the cat was out of the bag, but still it got us through a pretty difficult time.

we were first time parents and knew damn all about raising kids and thought there was a problem when there wasn't and our worry and behavior then exasperated the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

pwurple wrote: »
    Listen, if your dentist is going around just whipping out your teeth without telling you what s/he's about to do, why s/he is doing it, without any evidence whatsoever that it's needed, no explanation of what to expect, no aftercare etc etc... then hell yes, absolutely, I'd say you have really poor judgement in dentists also.

:D You do amuse me sometimes.
    It's not dentistry from the middle ages. I was given the option of an extraction or root canal. I chose the former. My dentist is extremely professional and I received the best of care but it didn't require the litany of checks and balances you seem to go by.
    I actually resent the fact you claim I have bad judgement in what I choose to do for myself and/or my children. I have never put my children in danger of malpractice despite your own misgivings. You are entitled to believe that cranio has no positive effect but I have yet to see the hundreds of babies who have suffered as a result of treatment (and no, I don't need to see the link again to where that one baby died)
    without telling you what s/he's about to do, why s/he is doing it, without any evidence whatsoever that it's needed, no explanation of what to expect, no aftercare etc etc.

Again I wish you'd read my posts correctly. I never mentioned lack of explanation of what was to happen or why. I pointed out
    mordeith wrote: »
    there was no written consent or diagrams or side effects discussed.
    which were the things you placed emphasis on:
    Did they explain how it works with a diagram, like you get when you're going for surgery or other treatment? Did they explain how do they know what part of the skull to put pressure on without any kind of scan? Were possible side effects listed? Was there written consent? There are all the normal things I expect at a minimum from a medical procedure. Did any of those happen?

I'll grant you the side effects

farmchoice wrote: »

you wont like to hear this but it worked because you were the problem, either you were imagining the problem to an extent or your behavior was contributing to it.

You can use your own feeling that you were the problem if you like but it's pretty arrogant to suggest it to others. I/we did not imagine/cause our son's inability to lie on one side of his visibly bruised head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

mordeith wrote: »
    You can use your own feeling that you were the problem if you like but it's pretty arrogant to suggest it to others. I/we did not imagine/cause our son's inability to lie on one side of his visibly bruised head
    well you were prepared to imagine that a craniosacal therapist cured it so it has to be a possibility.

its complete quackery and to be honest its not even sophisticated quackery.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually had it done, and has nothing positive to say about it.

Also, with regards the procedure being explained. Do people honestly believe that we allowed someone to do this without them first explaing the process to us?

Not that I hadn't already done my reading up on it first. If anyone took the time to read the link to my 2011 post, they'll see that I did in fact read up on it.

Because I can't write thesis on it off the top of my noggin, after 6 years, it's assumed I didn't know what I was having done on my Son.

What is their actual point?? Are we all terrible parents who bring our babies for alternative treatments when nothing else is offered to help them?

• Advertisement

farmchoice wrote: »
    sophisticated quackery.

That's an oxymoron

I wasn't prepared to accept anything except the results of the treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

These types of contradictions are straight out of the sales material for it.

You believe it's not alternative like any other kind of alternative, but also is alternative.

You cannot explain it in laymans terms, but also do know how it works and researched it thoroughly (yet never came across anything saying it was dodgy despite a lot of credited evidence showing no benefit and some also showing harm?)

You don't want to hear about any deaths or injuries caused, because other things also cause death or injury.

I don't know you from adam, so of course I am not saying you are terrible parents. I am saying the craniosacral stuff is a sales pitch at best, and harmful at worst.

The dentist prod was me trying to be lighthearted. Doesn't translate over boards, sorry! i should have put a smiley in there. :) Please don't take it personally.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

You don't want to hear about any deaths or injuries caused, because other things also cause death or injury.

Can you point out the bit where I said I didn't want to know about deaths?
    I've done a bit of digging and so far I can find 2 infant deaths linked to cranial osteopathy.

The first is the infamous Dentist case. The second was a case in the Netherlands where a three month old sadly passed away due to malpractice.

If anyone can find anymore cases, please let me know as I am genuinely interested.

Compare that to the number of infant and child deaths resulting from negligence in mainstream medicine.

Poopoo that all you want.

The dentist prod was me trying to be lighthearted. Doesn't translate over boards, sorry! i should have put a smiley in there. :) Please don't take it personally.

That's all good. As you say, meanings don't always translate over text/type. :)

All I can say is I'm not an advocate for trying inherently dangerous things on children but as you can see from the pic below our son had a badly bruised head. The only thing that *worked* for us was cranio. Was it actually the therapy? ...in this case I believe so. Can it solve a myriad of other issues?...most likely not. Either way I'm glad we did it.

408830.jpg

Advertisement