Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wonder if the roles were reversed...

Options
  • 03-02-2017 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057698370/1

Can't help but think that if I, a straight male, started a thread anywhere here about looking for accommodation, where I would never cross paths with members of the LGBT community?
    That there would be a full blown meltdown, thread locked and me banned.

Why the blatant double standards here? I mean, the OP in that thread came out straight and said that they don't feel comfortable about the possibility of coming in to contact with a straight male.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Your post would be closed and you'd get berated for being a homophobe

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

b_mac2 wrote: »

Can't help but think that if I, a straight male, started a thread anywhere here about looking for accommodation, where I would never cross paths with members of the LGBT community?

Why the blatant double standards here? I mean, the OP in that thread came out straight and said that they don't feel comfortable about the possibility of coming in to contact with a straight male.

For how much of your life have you been a target of ridicule, abuse or violence directly as a result of being a straight man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

For how much of your life have you been a target of ridicule, abuse or violence directly as a result of being a straight man?

Don't start with that shìte. I've never even so much as said a bad word to anyone, about their sexual prefrences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Basically, it's ok to discriminate if the group you identify as being a part of has been discriminated against in the past.

Am I along the right lines with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Oh please.......

I've plenty of straight and non-straight friends. I have a lesbian daughter. What you outline above is far from the default position. I know people who are bald or non-Caucasian who have had more abuse than I've seen with gay people.

Some people are arseholes, welcome to Ireland.

The OP asks a very legitimate question, and to try and hold up the lowest denominator as a retort is frankly weak. There's ridicule, violence and abuse all over the place. Sexuality is only one of the many many reasons.

On the other hand, I've seen ream after ream of pleading for Gay, Bi and Trans people to be "accepted" into society and "normalised". Then I read the likes of the accommodation thread referenced, and my heart sinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You've started a Feedback thread on a hypothetical situation. Until you actually post a similar thread and get subsequently banned for it then you are just spouting hot air.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Basically insults (whether intended to be insults or not) are worse when what's being insulted has led to traumatic experiences in the past. Example: growing up gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Your post would be closed and you'd get berated for being a homophobe

I have to be honest, you have a point. Both of you.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Basically insults (whether intended to be insults or not) are worse when what's being insulted has led to traumatic experiences in the past. Example: growing up gay.

Again, please don't generalise me with previous incidents you've had with straight males. I've never wronged anyone because of their sexual orientations.

Again, please don't generalise me with previous incidents you've had with straight males. I've never wronged anyone because of their sexual orientations.

Being generalized about is not worthy of mod action though which is what this thread was about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven’t read the whole thread but in the first post they didn’t say anything about not wanting to come into contact with straight males. They just said they wanted a “queer friendly” house. So it would be more accurate to say that they don’t want to come into contact with a homophobe. They are new Ireland and not sure what the atmosphere towards LGBT people is like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

I haven’t read the whole thread but in the first post they didn’t say anything about not wanting to come into contact with straight males. They just said they wanted a “queer friendly” house. So it would be more accurate to say that they don’t want to come into contact with a homophobe. They are new Ireland and not sure what the atmosphere towards LGBT people is like here.

Nope they explicitly say they don't want any males in the house.

I haven’t read the whole thread but...

...but you should read the whole thread before commenting, maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I read the post in which they say that now. They explain their reasoning pretty well. They aren’t discriminating against “straight males”, but for mental health related reasons they feel more comfortable living with other LGBT people. I don’t see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭blackwhite

...but you should read the whole thread before commenting, maybe.

Take the comment about not being comfortable if a female housemate brought back a straight male boyfriend - then replace the words "straight male" with black, muslim, or any other minority you can think of.

What's more shocking is that not only is this attitude deemed acceptable - the only mod actions on the thread are to sanction anyone who points out that this attitude is problematic.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Take the comment about not being comfortable if a female housemate brought back a straight male boyfriend - then replace the words "straight male" with black, muslim, or any other minority you can think of.

What's more shocking is that not only is this attitude deemed acceptable - the only mod actions on the thread are to sanction anyone who points out that this attitude is problematic.

yes, I have no idea why you are quoting me, but I agree with the premise of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭blackwhite

yes, I have no idea why you are quoting me, but I agree with the premise of this thread.

Clearly hit the wrong post to quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Probably down to compassion for the life he's lived to have to put that in an add.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Probably down to compassion for the life he's lived to have to put that in an add.

Go back and actually read the thread, the OP was a woman.

take it easy, it was a typo.

• Advertisement

Probably down to compassion for the life she's lived to have to put that in an add.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Probably down to compassion for the life she's lived to have to put that in an add.

*House wanted* Preferably somewhere there won't be any refugees housed nearby, as me and my family are just after moving away from Calais because SOME of the migrants made our lives hell there.

Don't think I'd be shown too much compassion if I were to post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I read through the thread in question, and I think the OP's biggest issue is going to be the cultural differences between the US and Ireland. For the most part, no-one here CARES what sexuality you are anymore (and that's a good thing!) but the OP is already starting off on the defensive and allowing/using terms like "CIS male" that have no relevance (outside maybe certain corners of social media) in this country, to color her perspective.

With regards the accommodation aspect, many people in Dublin are lucky just to have a roof over their heads at this stage, never mind getting to decide the sexual preferences of their housemates (or who those housemates can bring home??)

She'd be better off looking deeper into the community (gay AND straight) that she's thinking of becoming part of and then deciding if this is really for her IMO. As David Bowie sang: "this is not America"

Don't think I'd be shown too much compassion if I were to post that.

Yeah because refugees face a fair bit of discrimination. Straight guys dont.

Yeah because refugees face a fair bit of discrimination. Straight guys dont.

Really? I must go around and tell all the homeless men that I see to stop spoofing so.

Ffs, just listen to yourself.

Really? I must go around and tell all the homeless men that I see to stop spoofing so.

Ffs, just listen to yourself.

No need for the ffs stuff.

The homeless man isn't homeless because he's straight...... Was that what you were trying to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

No need for the ffs stuff.

The homeless man isn't homeless because he's straight...... Was that what you were trying to say?
    The one b_mac was referring to is.

I think the poster has issues. But maybe once she arrives, she'll get over them. Is any straight man really offended by the thread? Honestly? I say no.

The one b_mac was referring to is.

I think the poster has issues. But maybe once she arrives, she'll get over them. Is any straight man really offended by the thread? Honestly? I say no.

I don't see him talking about any homeless person who is homeless because they are straight?

Even if they are offended, being offended is a completely different thing to persistent discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

This thread is not Feedback for how Boards.ie in general, is run.
    While I can see that there is a discussion happening, discussing a specific poster here is very unfair to that new user.

If you wish to continue the general discussion about whether it's prejudiced/not prejudiced to have a preference for a house mate of a particular gender or sexual orientation, I'm sure there is a more suited forum than Feedback.

Unforunately, on the Friday afternoon of a long week I can't think of one off the top of my head. Perhaps Humanities but check with the mods there first. If anyone does open a new thread and wants me to post the link here, please PM the link to me. Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement