Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rack for Pendleton Hybrid

Options
  • 03-02-2017 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently purchased this bike:
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/pendleton-somerby-hybrid-bike-mint

I asked in Halfords if it's possible to buy a rack for the back of my car but the guy told me no, due to it being a female bike and they are the wrong shape for bike racks??

Surely this isn't right - he was only young and seemed uninterested too so I didn't bother to hang around and waste any more time.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it's an awkward shape alright given where the cross-bar is (or isn't) but you should still be able to mount it on a bike rack for the car, especially if it's just the one bike you want to put on the rack, you should be able to fit it on.

The young lad in the shop didn't want the pressure of suggesting somewhere in case it wouldn't fit and then he could have an irate customer on his hands.

Something like this might work but you'll really need to ask could you return it if it doesn't suit your needs. You could even try it in the car park, assuming you bring the Pendleton in the back of the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

In my experience, for a bike like that you have 2 options:
    1. "Stand-on" type bike racks. Usually these are towbar mounted (e.g. https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-doubletrack-2-bike-990xt-_-5776509), though this is a new one on me that looks to be boot-mounted, albeit it is not cheap: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-platform-9003pro-2-bike-_-1685475
    2. Top tube adapters, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8002531-TubeTop-Crossbar-Adapter/dp/B00066YTGO. These will connect from the seatpost to the head tube creating a virtual/effective top tube allowing you to use a conventional bike rack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Thanks for the advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd put it on a rack as is. The rack has two bars, one goes between seat tube, seat stays and rear wheel, the other goes between frame and front wheel. I've often hung a ladies' frame in that fashion without need for adapters.

Thus:
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd put it on a rack as is.

Worked for me on the past on numerous occasions, getting a road bike, a ladies bike with no cross bar, and two kids bikes on a hollywood bike rack. Main thing is to buy a couple of extra straps so you can tighten everything up properly. I also use some pipe insulator at any point frames may come into contact with each other or the bike rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

We use a crossbar adapter which twists on and off on my wife's bike. When we forget to bring the adapter we've had to turn the bike upside down to put it on the rack. I think the gap between the seat stays and the mudguard is too small to fit the prong of the rack, so upside down is the only option. There's always a way!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I use a regular bike rack (two prongs) for a ladies town bike, one prong in the rear triangle and the other in between the two tubes, seems to work fine, have driven across the country with this set up, without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    Main thing is to buy a couple of extra straps so you can tighten everything up properly.

The ratcheting luggage straps from Lidl do a wonderful job here.

6c93919935234c25ae3e5d5721857c4151fa4f82.jpg

Advertisement