Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Bujinkan?

Options
  • 03-02-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Every video I've seen of Bujinkan or some other "Ninja" art has been laughable to say the least(can't post links, just google Bujinkan, the art of holding your arm out)

Is there any video evidence of actual sparring in Bujinkan against a resisting, non-compliant opponent who is actively trying to hurt you? I do not buy that "too deadly to spar" crap, wear decent protection.

And what is the deal with the head of the system, Hatsumi, refusing to submit evidence that his art is legitimate? You'd think that he'd want to prove his art is the real thing right?

Are there any schools in Ireland out that train realistically and do they have video of them training realistically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Have I woken up in 2002?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 yalangerya

Huh? What did I miss in 2002?

This conversation, evidently :D

So I take it that Bujinkan has been universally panned? I know there are quite a few bujinakn practicioners here and their lack of response isn't exactly filling me with confidence.

Its not that bujinkan has been universally panned (although it has been in many quarters), its more that this discussion was had, quite heatedly, across the interwebz for most of the noughties, here included. Gradually, though, people seem to have settled into a state of "sure if they're happy doing it, what harm" and are less evangelical about decrying certain arts, or trying to convert to others.

As regards responses to you thread from boards ninjers, that's more a function of a dearth of posters in general since the Great Split of '08. The most popular thread for a while now is the bjj thread, and that's being kept alive by about 10 posters

• Advertisement

"people seem to have settled into a state of "sure if they're happy doing it, what harm"

Sure, I have no problem with that. Whatever floats your boat. I do have a problem when its been marketed as a valid means of self defence and Bujinkaners pissing on mma and other arts because they don't go for the eyes or groin etc.

"the Great Split of '08"

What happened in '08?

People in general just don't seemed to be as annoyed by that stuff any more. Bullshido still burn that flame strong, but there are less and less substantial investigations happening, especially as people become more savvy regarding social media, etc.

Up until 2008, there was only the martial arts and self defence forum, and it was probably one of the busier fora on boards.
    Lot of discussions like you just started, going both ways, but it became quite mma heavy, and some of the "traditional" posters on here felt that it was preventing discussion of other arts. A split was called for, and we ended up with an mma forum as well, leaving this space here to die a slow death. Some of us have tried to revive it to some degree, but if you look at the first three pages, you'll see its mostly people looking for recommendations for clubs/equipment etc, with the odd training question thrown out (the splits thread recently comes to mind)

Advertisement