Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java learning resources

Options
  • 03-02-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hi there, 
    I did a postgraduate conversion courae in 2015, it was java based covering Java and touching on design patterns, databases, web design etc. for the past 8 months I have been working on JS. (node, express, angular)

I have been lucky enough to get  graduate position for a Java developer but I have not touched it in 10 months, I have access to Pluralsight in work which is fantastic resource. I want to get a good book, I was thinking headFirstJava but some say it is dated now and not as relevant as years ago, what is the best book as a tool at this stage of  my career? I have a week to cram back in Java to industry standard and want to go the best way about it,  what would you guys recommend? is there certain sites that you could set up mock projects etc?
    Apologies if this is silly question for some, I want to make the right choice to get the best possible start over the coming months with the correct reference tools etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What are you going to be working in, Java Java EE etc, and what specifically are you looking to brush up on, Basic fundamentals, Hibernate, Spring and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

mixture of Java and Java ee, Hibernate also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I did a postgraduate conversion courae in 2015, it was java based covering Java and touching on design patterns, databases, web design etc. for the past 8 months
    I have been working on JS. (node, express, angular)
    JS or Javascript is not Java:

http://unroutable.blogspot.ie/2013/10/java-is-to-javascript-as-car-is-to.html
    I have not touched it in 10 month
    You're more than a bit rusty then.
    Look for O'Reilly Learning Java and Java Pocket Reference in prefence to any Java for Dummies books. Unfortunately all you'll get in Dublin Libraries are predominantly dummies book on java too, or at least covering Java 8.
    Also check out SAMS Teach Yourself Java.
    Also check out this YouTube channel: it has some really decent quality Java videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIwhN2KWQ0aEkv8WDhHBHOQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you want to know the language then get some of Cay Horstmann's books:
    Core Java for the Impatient
    Core Java Volume I - Fundamentals
    Core Java, Volume II - Advanced Features

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I did a postgraduate conversion courae in 2015, it was java based covering Java and touching on design patterns, databases, web design etc. for the past 8 months
    I have been working on JS. (node, express, angular)
    JS or Javascript is not Java:

http://unroutable.blogspot.ie/2013/10/java-is-to-javascript-as-car-is-to.html
    I have not touched it in 10 month
    You're more than a bit rusty then.
    Look for O'Reilly Learning Java and Java Pocket Reference in prefence to any Java for Dummies books.  Unfortunately all you'll get in Dublin Libraries are predominantly dummies book on java too, or at least covering Java 8.
    Also check out SAMS Teach Yourself Java.  
    Also check out this YouTube channel:  it has some really decent quality Java videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIwhN2KWQ0aEkv8WDhHBHOQ
    yes i could not agree mor hat JS and Java are completely different. thanks for the links, I can not wait to get stuck in m one question, which IDE is the industry leader, Intellij/netBeans or Eclipse?

learned Java on Eclipse.

Thanks for all replies on this, really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

re NetBeans / Eclipse / Intellij

In a certain large American Company I've worked for, Eclipse would be the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

which IDE is the industry leader, Intellij/netBeans or Eclipse?
    If you've used Eclipse in the past, then stick with it. Another IDE will be easy to pick up.

Great, Thanks for the input, I will stick with Eclipse for now, Cram pluralsight and check out the Cay Horstmann's books. Cheers Ladies and Gents

Advertisement