Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burgled last night, little taken: worth claiming against insurance?

• 03-02-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We were broken into last night, seems the only thing that was taken was approx. 100 euro or less worth of foreign currency. Nothing else was taken, at least as far as we can tell (don't keep cash around, no jewelry or electronics taken), was a quick in and out job.

However, it is going to cost us a good bit to fix everything, as he smashed the patio door (got this replaced last night with some fancy new panel that won't smash, cost about 500 euro), pulled the outside motion-detecting light off its bracket and broke it (it's obviously too close to the ground, will look into relocating this out of arm's reach) and pulled the alarm panel off the wall and snipped a few wires.

Given that our repair/replacement costs will be 600-700 and only about 100 was taken in cash, it is worth it to claim against our insurance? I assume that the premium will go up in future years so that the insurer can recoup their outlay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Make sure you reported it to the guards if you have'nt already done so.
    That is'nt clear from your post. The insurance company will ask this, and the lapse of time in making this report

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Positively Negative

Do you know for sure the burglar was a "he" or is that some casual sexism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

awh bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

****ing hell, that's some reaching.

Sorry to hear you got burgled, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Default pronoun is always male... But I am sure the OP is glad that we have people like yourself striving to make the world a better place... as he is asking for advice after being burgled.

OP - It is worth checking the excess on your insurance policy also, this could be a few hundred euro.. and how it will impact future premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Positively Negative

mloc123 wrote:
    Default pronoun is always male... But I am sure the OP is glad that we have people like yourself striving to make the world a better place... as he is asking for advice after being burgled.

I'm not really striving to make the world a better place, it was a pisstake, I realise its probably not the time to be funny, Sorry OP. I hope they catch her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Need to check your excess on your policy which is more than likely €250 upwards but the bigger loss will be if you have a 40% no claims discount which you will lose in full at next renewal and then at a reduced % over the next 4 years.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Positively Negative, if you have nothing helpful to add to the OP, please don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Oh yeah, we reported it to the guards, they were with us within 10 minutes and we even had the crime scene officer with us about an hour later (just after 9 last night) taking fingerprints. Was impressed by the speed of all of that!

With regard the sex of the burglar (or burglars) I was aware the post was in jest :) We actually think we spotted the culprit as we left our house early yesterday evening, as someone was acting in a very peculiar manner and I remarked upon it to my wife as we drove down the street. It was a male (I am reasonably sure! ;) ) so there's my defense of slandering my own gender in my OP :)

Advertisement